Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Book 27. Push by Sapphire

Push is so far the first and only novel by the African-American author and performance poet Sapphire. The book has been made into a movie called Precious, and that's basically where I got the idea to read the book when I noticed the title Precious in the bookstore.

From Amazon (contains spoilers!):

Claireece Precious Jones endures unimaginable hardships in her young life. Abused by her mother, raped by her father, she grows up poor, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and generally unnoticed. So what better way to learn about her than through her own, halting dialect. That is the device deployed in the first novel by poet and singer Sapphire. "Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." An intense story of adversity and the mechanisms to cope with it.

This novel was a fast paced and thought-provoking read. It discusses really disturbing themes but at the same time the novel is not devoid of hope. I started reading this right after Wuthering Heights and simply couldn't put the book down and quite literally dosed off with the book in my hand after reading 93 pages, at about 3 AM. I read the rest of the story in one sitting today. It's definitely a story that will make you cry and that stays with you for long.

5/5! Warning: There's a lot of graphic and disturbing details and the novel is full of cuss words so steer clear from this one if you find that kind of thing offensive or too much for you. Otherwise I'd totally recommend it to anyone.

I either hated, despised or disliked almost all of the characters and could not identify with anyone (which I've just realised is a rather important thing for me in order to enjoy a novel to the fullest). I also couldn't follow some of the storylines, or rather remember who was related/married to whom etc. I couldn't understand the development of some of the characters and therefore couldn't begin to understand their actions. The people and the story just didn't make any sense to me.

What's interesting to me about your review is that I had many of the same problems as you, but somehow I still loved it and gave it 9/10. I disliked most of the characters, had trouble keeping the relationships straight in my mind and I couldn't understand certain actions (Heathcliff and Cathy's relationship with each other particularly puzzled me).

I guess I still enjoyed the story for its uniqueness and the style of writing (which is always a very important thing for me when reading a book).

Anyway, that was a great review, and I hope you are able to enjoy it more if you decide to give it another chance one day. :blush:

What are you reading next?

What's interesting to me about your review is that I had many of the same problems as you, but somehow I still loved it and gave it 9/10. I disliked most of the characters, had trouble keeping the relationships straight in my mind and I couldn't understand certain actions (Heathcliff and Cathy's relationship with each other particularly puzzled me).

Well I have to say that I find this very interesting as well :lol: Yes, the style of writing is great and I guess it's a unique story but I just hated all the 'negativeness' in the story, everything always ended up going down hill and worse. But I'm really glad you liked it so much, I'm happy for you :tong:

What are you reading next?

Haa, I was just going to post about this and have a real nice time pondering what to read next :blush: At the moment I don't have a clue. I know I want to read something light and fast paced, maybe a thriller or a true crime novel, or something that I've been dying to read for ages. But I also have loads of great novels borrowed from the library. The Neon Bible, a Dan Rhodes novel, The Code of the Woosters, Sylvia Plath's poems and short stories, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes... and many more! Very difficult indeed.

Tough choices indeed! I don't know much about Dan Rhodes, but the others all sound good. I really enjoyed The Code of the Woosters, and PG Wodehouse is always a guaranteed light read. I always find that Sherlock Holmes stories are surprisingly fast to get through. I might pick up that one myself very soon. :blush:

Tough choices indeed! I don't know much about Dan Rhodes, but the others all sound good. I really enjoyed The Code of the Woosters, and PG Wodehouse is always a guaranteed light read. I always find that Sherlock Holmes stories are surprisingly fast to get through. I might pick up that one myself very soon. :tong:

You could try out Dan Rhodes's Gold, it was a light, quick and extremely funny book, I think you might enjoy it! I think I wrote my thoughts on it on this thread a little while ago, and tunn300 has also read it and enjoyed it and so has poppyshake, if I remember correctly :blush:

I know Wodehouse and Holmes would be great reads but I'm not sure if they are exactly what I'm looking for just now. There's also the Stieg Larsson book (the 1st in the trilogy) and John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel... By the way, you haven't started Chocolat or High Fidelity yet have you?

On the other hand, Helter Skelter has been calling out for me quite a while now...

I remember seeing a couple of reviews of Gold. I think I often gloss over reviews of authors I haven't heard of before because I'm scared of adding even more books to my wishlist. :blush: But now that you've recommended him specifically to me I'll have to look into it. :lol:

No, I haven't started Chocolat or High Fidelity. Are they both on your TBR pile?

I've had too much non-fiction in my diet lately, so I'll probably be leaving Helter Skelter for at least a couple months, but if you start it I'll watch to see how you go (and then I'll probably give in and join you in reading it :tong:).

I remember seeing a couple of reviews of Gold. I think I often gloss over reviews of authors I haven't heard of before because I'm scared of adding even more books to my wishlist. :tong:

:lol: I know what you mean, I'm the same. And then on the other hand, I don't want to read reviews of books I have on my TBR too closely in case they contain spoilers. So it's pretty strategic of what to read and what not to read!

But now that you've recommended him specifically to me I'll have to look into it. :D

Rhodes's books tend to be short and a lot of them are short stories so take care what you read, I'd say Gold is the way to go :lol: There doesn't actually happen that much in the novel, Rhodes's skills are definitely more in the creating excellent and quirky characters and witty little events and dialogues. I can't wait to get his latest novel Little Hands Clapping as a paperback, the blurb sounds great!

No, I haven't started Chocolat or High Fidelity. Are they both on your TBR pile?

Chocolat is on TBR, and I've borrowed High Fidelity (which is of course on the Rory List). I don't fancy Chocolat at the mo though because I'm almost broke and can't afford chocolate :D

I've had too much non-fiction in my diet lately, so I'll probably be leaving Helter Skelter for at least a couple months, but if you start it I'll watch to see how you go (and then I'll probably give in and join you in reading it ).

Hm, you probably shouldn't have said that last thing... :blush:

My chocolate stash is getting sadly depleted (I was naughty and started eating easter eggs weeks ago) so I probably won't read Chocolat for a while either.

I'll be sure to look up Dan Rhodes tomorrow (time for beddy-byes now :blush:).

:tong: I'm sure you'll have me reading HS in no time! Maybe I should just avoid this thread for a while. Oh, who am I kidding? I can't do that!

:lol: I'm sure you'll have me reading HS in no time! Maybe I should just avoid this thread for a while. Oh, who am I kidding? I can't do that!

:lol: You can't avoid coming back for more :tong: Good night Kylie and sleep tight, see you later :blush:

I went to the library today and got these for 20cnt each:

- I, Claudius by Robert Graves

- Beloved by Toni Morrison

- America by Franz Kafka

- The Lost Letter by Nikolai Gogol (a selection of short stories)

- Lottapa tietenkin by Merri Vik (on of my favorite book series from when I was a teen)

Also got these in a secondhand bookshop:

- A Faint Cold Fear by Karin Slaughter (have already read it, but want the whole collection because it's superb)

- Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol (a real find!!)

I'm a little behind - I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Wuthering Heights, Frankie. :smile2: The first time I read it, I really struggled with the second half, and with the relations. Now that I know the story inside out because of studying it in both secondary school and university, and because I found something I really love in it, it's one of my favourite books.

I bought these today (mainly from charityshops and secondhand bookshops, the last 3 are from a sale in a bookstore):

Karin Slaughter: Blindsighted

Stieg Larsson: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (in Swedish)

Vicki Myron: Dewey: A Small Town, a Library and the World's Most Beloved Cat (had to buy the book again because I gave the one I previously bought to my friend as a birthday pressie)

Geraldine Brooks: Nine Parts of Desire - The Hidden World of Islamic Women

Azar Nafisi: Reading Lolita in Teheran (this is the book that I'm most happy about, along with Black Swan Green)

Tess Gerritsen: The Sinner

Anni Polva:

That's not so bad! And replacement copies and nice editions don't count anyway, in my opinion. :lol: Have you read Jane Eyre before?

I have Black Swan Green on my TBR pile as well. Have you read anything else by David Mitchell? I don't recall giving Cloud Atlas a rave review, but I liked it well enough that it has stuck in my mind, which is saying something. And it helped that one of the sections was dystopian. :lol:

Sorry I haven't been able to answer your posts on my thread earlier, I've been really busy for the last week.

This is exactly how I felt about WH I didn't hate or love it I just felt indifferent to it. I just couldn't work out why it profoundly effects other readers.

Indeed, I felt indifferent to the story as well. As for the characters, I hated most of them and couldn't begin to understand them. And I certainly have no idea why it has such a massive impact on other readers :lol:

I'm a little behind - I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Wuthering Heights, Frankie. :) The first time I read it, I really struggled with the second half, and with the relations. Now that I know the story inside out because of studying it in both secondary school and university, and because I found something I really love in it, it's one of my favourite books.

Well I'm glad you always enjoy it Noll :lol: I did like

the ending, I loved how Hareton and Cathy corrected the mistakes made in the history and created their own path to tread on, not repeating history on their turn :D And eventhough I hated Heathcliff, I was really happy that he seemed to find his peace in the end.

I'm feeling more or less the same about Wuthering Heights so far. But have about 40 pages left.

By now you've finished the book I hear, and it seems like you enjoyd the ending as well, I'm glad there was at least something good about the novel for the two of us :lol:

That's not so bad! And replacement copies and nice editions don't count anyway, in my opinion. Have you read Jane Eyre before?

Here here! A replacement copy, a chicklit novel I know my Mum will also love reading so it wasn't just for me(we share a passion for Anni Polva's novels :)), and The Sinner was only 70cnt, and the Stieg Larsson was only 2e and in original language! Plus there were loads of other books I thought about buying but I really kept cool and calm :D

I have Black Swan Green on my TBR pile as well. Have you read anything else by David Mitchell? I don't recall giving Cloud Atlas a rave review, but I liked it well enough that it has stuck in my mind, which is saying something. And it helped that one of the sections was dystopian.

Oh wow you've already read Cloud Atlas!! I've been wanting to read it for ages but I've heard it's sort of a tricky book to read? With different stories beginning and continuing and ending in weird order? Do correct me if I'm wrong. Cloud Atlas is the book by Mitchell that I've wanted to read for ages but recently I noticed this Black Swan Green novel and it sounded really great and so I've been wanting to read that as well, and I was really lucky to notice the book in the sale section, I'm really happy about it :D It seems like an easier read. And though I haven't read The Perks of Being a Wall Flower yet (I want to!) the blurb reminded me of it.

Oh almost forgot your question about Jane Eyre: I've read it once, just before I started uni. I read it in Finnish and was really happy to notice it happened to be on one of our English lit courses that semester, what a coincidence. I really liked the novel and I really enjoyed The Eyre Affair as well. I've been wanting to reread both JE and TEA for ages but because I hate the beginning part of JE (the awful time she had at her relatives and her school before she got to Rocherster's) I can't get around to the latter part which I love. I've started reading it so many times but always grow annoyed by the beginning. Now that I have the book in Finnish I'll be able to read the first part a lot quicker and get to the juicier bits :lol:

Haha by the way, I found money in the Jane Eyre copy :lol: No, unfortunately no big cash stash, only 10 pennies, the smallest coin there is, and it's not even a valid currency any more, not since 2002 or so :lol:

A replacement copy, a chicklit novel I know my Mum will also love reading so it wasn't just for me(we share a passion for Anni Polva's novels :)), and The Sinner was only 70cnt, and the Stieg Larsson was only 2e and in original language! Plus there were loads of other books I thought about buying but I really kept cool and calm :D

Well in that case you ought to be congratulated for being so good!

Oh wow you've already read Cloud Atlas!! I've been wanting to read it for ages but I've heard it's sort of a tricky book to read? With different stories beginning and continuing and ending in weird order?

That's right. All of the stories except for one are in two parts, so there are several threads to keep track of. The one story in the middle that sort of links them is written in a more difficult style to read.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is brilliant! I hope you get to read it soon.

Haha by the way, I found money in the Jane Eyre copy :lol: No, unfortunately no big cash stash, only 10 pennies, the smallest coin there is, and it's not even a valid currency any more, not since 2002 or so :lol:

Maybe it will be worth more one day because it might become rare? You could then sell it and use the funds to buy more books. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll hope the coin will become very valuable, because I would definitely need the cash so I could buy more books :exc:

I got these today:

Markus Zusak: Getting the Girl

Markus Zusak: I Am the Messenger

Tommy Tabermann: Naaras

Haruki Murakami: A Wild Sheep Chase

Doris Lessing: The Good Terrorist

Ernest Hemingway: The Garden of Eden

The first two Zusak novels are books that I've been wanting to buy for a long time now, I can't wait to get into them :lol: I think it was Weave who got me interested in those novels, the blurbs sound really intriguing and Weave's reviews kind of sealed the deal :lurker: The two titles were for 12e total, quite cheap I'd say.

The last four novels are books that I found in the library's sale, 20 cents each. I cannot believe they had the Murakami book there, I nearly ****** my pants for the joy of it :she: Tommy Tabermann is a Finnish poet and Naaras is a novel by him, I had no idea he's written prose as well. I've never read anything by him but he's such a wonderful character I couldn't resist buying th book. I've never read anything by Lessing or Hemingway either, but I've been wanting to for a while now.

A very great book day, yay :yahoo:

I've just noticed that the movie Dead Poets Society will be on TV next week! I've never seen it but have been meaning to watch it ever since some of the people on here were quick to point out that I should first watch the movie and then read the novelisation (if at all). I'm sure this will please some of my acquintances on the forum (you know who you are) :)

I've just noticed that the movie Dead Poets Society will be on TV next week! I've never seen it but have been meaning to watch it ever since some of the people on here were quick to point out that I should first watch the movie and then read the novelisation (if at all). I'm sure this will please some of my acquintances on the forum (you know who you are) :)

*Does a very flamboyant happy dance* :D

I'm so glad you're going to finally get to see the movie! It's one of the top 10 best of all time IMO. ;):D:D Can't wait to hear your thoughts.