Snobs Julian Fellows

Gridlock Ben Elton

A Place Called Here Ceceila Aherne

44 Scotland Street Alexander McCall smith

Melted Into Air Sandi Toksvig

I Heart New York Lindsey Keik

The Ex Boyfriends Handbook Matt Dunn

Betrayal Lindsey Harris

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Mary Ann Shaffer and annie Barrow

Wives and Lovers Jane Elizabeth Varley

For Better For Worse Carole Mathews

White Teeth Zadie Smith

My Best Friends Girl Dorothy Koomson

The American Boy andrew Taylor

The Lincoln Rhyme books I have not yet read

Shutter Island Dennis Lehane

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif

Edited by joe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books I have read

January

Anything Goes, John Barrowman

The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank, Ellen Feldman

Twilight, Stephenie Meyer

New Moon Stephenie Meyer

Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

February

The Empty Chair Jeffrey Deaver

Breaking Dawn Stephenie Meyer

Looking Good Dead Peter James

March

Water for Elephants Sara Gruen

The Girl Next Door Elizabeth Nobel

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Stieg Larsson

Eclipse Stephenie Meyer {re read}

The Way Home George Pelecanos

Aptil

We Are All Made of Glue Marina Lewycka

Twilight Stephenie Meyer (re read)

Cut Cathy Glass

Anybody Out There? Marian Keyes

The Surgeon Tess Gerristen

May

The Vanished Man Jeffrey Deaver

The Road Cormack McCarthy

The Girl Who Played With Fire Steig Larsson

June

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest Steig Larsson

Keeping the Dead Tess Gerritsen

The Sunset Limited Cormack McCarthy

Nightshift Nora Roberts

Homeport Nora Roberts

July

Samantha Smythe's Modern Family Journal Lucy Cavendish

My Fabulous Divorce Claire Dowling

Jewels of the Sun Nora Roberts

Tears of the Moon Nora Roberts

Heart of the Sea Nora Roberts

August

The Passage Justin Cronin

Marked P.C Cast ,Kristen Cast

Betrayed P.C Cast ,Kristen Cast

Blueyedboy Joanne Harris

September

Who's That Girl Alexandra Potter

The Memory Garden Rachel Hore

Chosen P.C Cast ,Kristen Cast

Untamed P.C Cast ,Kristen Cast

October

Life Support Tess Gerritsen

Therapy Sebastian Fitzek

The Redeemer Jo Nesbo

November

Hunted P.C Cast ,Kristen Cast

The Snowman Jo Nesbo

Tempted P.C Cast ,Kristen Cast

December

61 Hours Lee Child

The Complaints Ian Rankin

Burned P.C Cast ,Kristen Cast

I aim to read 60 books in 2010 :D although probably not

Edited by joe

Book Reviews

Anything Goes by John Barrowman

Synopsis from Waterstones

From his Glaswegian childhood and American adolescence to his starring role in the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood, this memoir traces the life and career of actor John Barrowman. John made a name for himself with remarkable West End achievements, including an Olivier Award nomination and success in the movies The Producers and De-Lovely. Television success was also assured when Torchwood won a Best Drama BAFTA. John also lays bare his personal life: his emigration as a child, coming out to his family, turning down a job at Disney, and his civil partnership with long-term partner Scott Gill. Revelatory and insightful, told with real heart and characteristic Barrowman charm, this is a wonderful tale of how one boy achieved his dreams.

I found this book hugely enjoyable. It only took a couple of days to read. It was very lighthearted and easy to read and gave you a glimpse into the world of showbusiness and what it must be like to be John Barrowman

10/10

Edited by joe

The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank by Ellen Feldman

Synopsis from Waterstones

On February 16, 1944, Anne Frank recorded in her diary that Peter, whom she at first disliked but eventually came to love, had confided to her that if he got out alive, he would reinvent himself entirely. This is the story of what might have happened if the boy in hiding survived to become a man. Peter arrives in America, the land of self-creation; he flourishes in business, marries, and raises a family. He thrives in the present, plans for the future, and has no past. But, when "The Diary of a Young Girl" is published to worldwide acclaim and gives rise to bitter infighting, he realises the cost of forgetting. Based on extensive research of Peter van Pels and the strange and disturbing life Anne Frank's diary took on after her death, this is a novel about the memory of death, the death of memory, and the inescapability of the past. 'This is a brave novel in the strongest sense of the word, carefully treading mined terrain to thought-provoking and memorable effect' - "Observer". 'In this thoughtful novel, Feldman imagines how Peter's life might have turned out had he survived the war. It's an account of his struggle to deal with the past in the face of public obsession with the girl he loved. Fascinating and moving' - "New Woman". 'An inventive postscript to the famous story' - "Financial Times".

This is a book that I would not normally read, however after reading a review of the book on this site I decided to give it a go as it sounded very interesting and I am glad that I did. What happens in the book may have actually happened if Peter had survived. At the beginning of the book I really disliked Peter, I am not sure why, most probably due to the fact that he lied to his whole new family about his identity. But as the book progressed i understood why he did so, it was human protection. i found the book very thought provoking,highly emotive andoverall I was left with the feeling of how very lucky I am

10/10

Joe, what a great review, thanks! I'd forgotten about this book but now I think I'm going to add it to my wishlist and actually read it someday :)

Edit: Almost forgot to say that I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much, it seems like you are off to a good start this year ;)

Edited by frankie

Wow you are a fast reader. I am keen on reading John Barrowman now you marked him 10 out of 10 i think i will give him a go.

I started them Christmas week but as my husband has been home I have had lots of time to read. I hope you enjoy the book

Joe, what a great review, thanks! I'd forgotten about this book but now I think I'm going to add it to my wishlist and actually read it someday :)

Edit: Almost forgot to say that I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much, it seems like you are off to a good start this year ;)

thank you, I hope that you enjoy it as much as me

Happy to see you have 2 unread Miriam Keyes' on there! I hope you enjoy them mucho :)

Also, if it helps in any way, you have "My Best Friend's Girl" listed twice on your list.. Not sure if you're keeping any counts, but wanted to pass along just in case you were!

Happy, happy reading.. you have some great books there! ;)

Happy to see you have 2 unread Miriam Keyes' on there! I hope you enjoy them mucho :)

Also, if it helps in any way, you have "My Best Friend's Girl" listed twice on your list.. Not sure if you're keeping any counts, but wanted to pass along just in case you were!

Happy, happy reading.. you have some great books there! :)

ooops thank you

That's some TBR pile joe! Which of the Lincoln Rhyme books haven't you read yet? I'm up to The Vanished Man, have you read it? I almost picked it up today but went for a Richard Montanari instead.

Have you read any Tess Gerritsen? Her series which starts with The Surgeon is a fantastic read.

Happy Reading! :)

That's some TBR pile joe! Which of the Lincoln Rhyme books haven't you read yet? I'm up to The Vanished Man, have you read it? I almost picked it up today but went for a Richard Montanari instead.

Have you read any Tess Gerritsen? Her series which starts with The Surgeon is a fantastic read.

Happy Reading! :)

I have read The Bone Collector and The Coffin Dancer and fell in love with them immediately so I need to read all the rest. I have The Empty Chair on order from the library. The first Jeffrey Deaver book that I read was The Blue Nowhere and that is what got me hooked. I have not read any books by Tess Gerritsen so will look her up, thank you

The first Jeffrey Deaver book that I read was The Blue Nowhere and that is what got me hooked. I have not read any books by Tess Gerritsen so will look her up, thank you

The first Deaver I read was The Broken Window, which is a bit along the same lines as Blue Nowhere in that it's cyber, it's also in the LR series towards the end, I think you'd enjoy it too. The Blue Nowhere is my absolute favourite Deaver so far, I got it in the bcf book swap last year from Ceinwenn, it totally surprised me and spurred me on to his LR series. (Also, to this day, makes me think twice about what personal details about myself I put online :))

Please do check out The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen, the whole series is fantastic!

The first Deaver I read was The Broken Window, which is a bit along the same lines as Blue Nowhere in that it's cyber, it's also in the LR series towards the end, I think you'd enjoy it too. The Blue Nowhere is my absolute favourite Deaver so far, I got it in the bcf book swap last year from Ceinwenn, it totally surprised me and spurred me on to his LR series. (Also, to this day, makes me think twice about what personal details about myself I put online :))

Please do check out The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen, the whole series is fantastic!

Yes I most definetely will. I will enjoy The Broken Window then, I am reading the books in order though so will have a while to wait. I just checked my library account and The Empty Chair is ready to pick up so will get that tomorrow. I will order the surgeon from the library, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

I absolutely loved this book and I am in love with Edward myself. I found myself totally absorbed in it and would read for hours at a time which is not normally something I do. I just found it to be a beautiful story about true love and that overall love will conquer all, no matter what :lol:. It was also very easy to read so you could just sit back and enjoy

10/10

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

I finished New Moon today and I enjoyed it even more than Twilight which I didn't think was possible. They aren't brilliantly written but there is just something about them that is very addictive and likeable. I find that I can truly escape when I read them and they are fun to read.

10/10

Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

Well I enjoyed these books as much as the other two and I am definetely in love with Edward. Cannot wait to read Breaking Dawn which I have on order at the moment

10/10

• 2 weeks later...

The Empty Chair Jeffrey Deaver

A blooming brilliant read, there were so many twists and turns I was starting to get dizzy. As with all The Lincoln Rhyme books I was not disappointed, there is nothing to dislike,totally gripping.

10/10