The Ingo series by Helen Dunmore

Tiger

I've read the first book, and I'm reading the second one, The Tide Knot, which was only published in May. I was thrilled with the story.

Ingo

Living on the Cornish coast with her mother, father and brother Conor everything is great for Sapphire. That is, until, Sapphire's father goes out in his boat in the cove, and goes missing. And then, who's the strange girl on the rocks, talking to Conor on hours on end?

After finding another boy who looks like Conor, who's not him, on the rocks one day, Sapphire discovers the world of Ingo. Ingo's a haunting, dangerous world under the waves. They go riding all sorts of currents, wheather strong or weak, learn to talk to seals and riding on the back of dolphins, unaware of the harm that divers can do.

One day, a man that Sapphire's mum likes and that her father would take as a rival, appears and teaches Conor how to dive. His name is Roger, and Sapphire strictly hates him.

On Roger's first night, Sapphire can hear a strange voice like the waves at the back of the house, calling her name....

I read Ingo last year, and wasn't so enthralled with it as you, Tiger. However at a meeting today, there was a lot of discussion about The Tide Knot and everyone thought it much better than Ingo. they have swayed me, so it is now on the list (that's the list of things to add to the pile one day!).

• 2 years later...

Havn't read these in a while, mostly because of the annoying scratchy surface of Ingo's cover which puts my teeth on edge, lol, but read these when I was about 9/10. I started with tide knot and have only read that and half of Ingo, will probs try again soon, but I remember having a high opinion of the tide knot when I read it.

I read Ingo last year, and wasn't so enthralled with it as you, Tiger. However at a meeting today, there was a lot of discussion about The Tide Knot and everyone thought it much better than Ingo. they have swayed me, so it is now on the list (that's the list of things to add to the pile one day!).

Oh no! I was determined not to add any more books to my wish list until I'd got my TBR pile down lower, but after loving Ingo when I read it in 2006, I'm now going to have to to put The Tide Knot at the top of my wishlist!