World Of Darkness, And Other RPG Rulebooks

It seems peculiar, but I wonder if there're others out there like me who enjoy reading RPG rulebooks even though we don't play the game. For instance, I'm a big fan of World of Darkness (the new version that is) but no one around seems to want to play it with me. Not that I mind anyway, for I'm mostly interested in the writing, character creation and the mood it conveys.

I also read Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks in bookstores if I can. I'm a forum roleplayer, you see, so such things interest me greatly, especially the part about races and such.

I love Final Fantasy, Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia and am hoping to try out Shadow Hearts in terms of RPGness :D

White Wolf related RPGS are quite different from console ones Rawr - in real life they involve pens and paper, on forums they involve a sort of interactive story where you have to make up a character with strengths and weaknesses and act out that character - but your moves successes are determined by rules and (I think) a sort of dice throwing.

That's fine indeed. Thanks very much, Lilywhite.

I was so sure I started the thread right in this section. *confused* My memory's failing me.

That's my fault HH! I moved it to the entirely wrong place ~ and Lilywhite moved it back to the right place! So don't worry, you memory is just fine ~ it's me that's the problem. :)

The white wolf games are full of win, but I am biased - I have shelves of the books.

Nollaigs right, the books detail rules which, ideally, work as a framework from which a stroy is told interactively. In the white wolf system ten sided dice are used to add an element of chance to the game, but mainly for dramatic actions - such as jumping out of a helicopter and skiing down the side of a mountain whilst fighting of rabid werewolves. The better you are at a skill, the more dice you roll. Other game systems use lots of different dice, such as six sided, 8 sided all the ay up to a hundred sided.

Most RPG books come with a fair bit of fiction with them, to set the scene for whoevers running the game and to give the players an idea of the world their characters will be doodling around in.

I have a small stack of the early nineties Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG books still unread in their original cellophane wrapping, which I swear I'll get around to reading sooner or later. There are some titles I never really liked merely because of the awful layouts, or the assumption that homosexuality was a mental deficiency (can't remember the publisher, but they used the stat for a good few years in the eighties), or binding which falls apart quickly...

I'm still on the hunt for a complete set of the ElfQuest RPG books, but I rarely actually play any more.