Kate's Reading in 2010

Kate

I have just finished A Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I loved this book. I was hooked from the beginning. It took a while to get used to the "Yorkshire speaking" but once I was past that I really enjoyed the read. The language and descriptions are beautiful and the story and the "Magic" is enchanting. Everyone should read this book.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This afternoon I finished My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdolah. I thought this book would be similar to A Thousand Splendid Suns but I was wrong. The main character is an illiterate deaf-mute man who loves his country: Iran. He lives his life through his son Ishmael, who is trying to decipher his father's notebook to tell his story, and the history of Iran. I found this a slow but gripping read. It isn't what I usually pick up and I enjoyed it a lot :smile2:

Yes, I think so. I haven't seen it though. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, I think I may have watched a BBC version in the 70s - I seem to remember a little girl in an attic, but that might be something else!

ETA: It might be the '73 version - I'd have been about 7! :smile2:

Edited by Janet

I have just finished A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. Tbh, I'm disappointed. As I reflect on the book all I can think is "that was rubbish, I'm glad its finished". It was disjointed and for the most part made no sense, and things weren't resolve. I've been left feeling completely dissatisfied.

I finished The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent this evening. I thought it was a bit slow to start with but from the halfway point it picked up and was a great read. Good storyline, full of detail and strong characters. Very enjoyable :D

In bed last night I finished The Complete Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne. It contained both Winnie the Pooh books and I loved it. The book itself was beautiful and full of the traditional illustrations and the stories are great. They are suitable for both children and adults. They are full of humour and adventure and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it :lurker:

That's great to hear, Kate. I have The House at Pooh Corner on my TBR pile. I think that's the first one isn't it?

Winnie the Pooh is the first one, The House at Pooh Corner comes second. You should definitely read it - wonderful books. Won't take you long either

You really should read them Kylie. I can't wait to get onto the poems :lurker:

I have just finished Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. This is a great book. It had me chuckling all the way through. These men are not sailors, and their adventures and views on life, people and places were very humorous. It was an enjoyable and easy read.

Everyone should read Winnie the Pooh in my opinion!

On Friday I finished The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. I really enjoyed it. Full of colour and adventure. Similar to the musical (what I can remember of it anyway!) but there were some differences. Such as the magic shoes in the book are silver not red. It is a children's book but thoroughly enjoyable for adults too.

The other book I finished was also a child's book: George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl. That book was as funny and wonderful as I remember. Dahl has as incredible imagination and his books are inviting and gripping. This is well worth reading.

Hi, Kate. It's great that you read George's Marvellous Medicine again! I have such fond memories of that book, along with all Dahl's other classic stories. I had a beautiful boxset of some of his work when I was a kid which included George's...; unfortunately I didn't keep it (and curse myself regularly for it!) but would love to give it another read sometime.

I was given a Roald Dahl bookset the other day by my hubby so I've been reading them from there. I love his books!

Yesterday I finished Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. It was great. Probably up there as one of my favourites. I loved the idea of Vimes going back in time and teaching himself how to be a copper. This was funny and had some great fight scenes! Loved it :lol:

I have just finished Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. Not one of my favourites but I think part of that might have been because it was narrated by Tony Robinson, and I found the voices he used to be similar for all the characters so I was sometimes confused as to who was saying what.

I think my next audiobook will be The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain :friends0:

One book I had been reading at bedtime was The Prophetess by Wendy Virgo, and I've finished it :D I pinched it from my Mum :lol: and am glad I did. Wendy is a Christian writer and I love her books. The Prophetess is her interpretation of the story of Deborah, a woman from the Old Testament who heard from God when the Israelites were under Canaanite rule and drifting from God. The story tells of how her faith and obedience to God and what He was saying led Israel out of poverty and oppression. This was a great read, I really enjoyed it.

I've been listening to The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I loved it! I loved Sara, and felt so sorry for her while she suffered, but I loved her dignity and kindness. I was hooked to this book, and although I knew the outcome I really enjoyed it anyway :D

I finished The White Tiger by Aravind Adigo. I've been wanting to read this for ages so when I saw it at the library I had to take it out! The book follows one man, The White Tiger as he moves out of the Indian countryside to city life. However, there is a twist: he is a murderer. I really enjoyed this book. It was a fascinating read about Indian life, politics and the difference between rural and urban life. Well worth reading :irked:

I enjoyed The White Tiger too Kate, I thought it was very clever of Aravind to write a character in who you began to connect and empathise with ... and then have him do something evil. My thoughts and opinions of him were all over the place then.

Yeah I was the same - didn't know what I thought of him!

Yesterday I finished What Katy Did and The White Queen.

What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge was a surprise. I was not expecting what happened to Katy - I thought it would be a bit like The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - a book of children's games and fun; but with the incident that occurred to Katy this was not the case. I actually liked this little twist - it made the book stand out for me and added depth to Katy's character, which only made her better.

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory was great. This is pure Gregory, and well worth reading. The book has a strong female character: Elizabeth, who I found myself liking then disliking, then liking again. The book is full of love, magic and war. The story is based around the War of the Roses and is very well written and highly enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die by John Piper

I enjoyed this book. Piper finds the reasons from the New Testament so this is full of scripture. He explains the points clearly and the chapters a very short! I found this a helpful and good book.

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

This is a must-read. Young-adult fiction that is great. One of the best books I've read this year. I have posted my review in the Children's section or it can be found here: http://bookreviews.me.uk/just-listen-by-sarah-dessen/