Favorite authors from your native country?

emelee

The only Australian aurthor whose one book I've really enjoyed is Joan Lindsay's 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'.

When I was younger I loved reading Emily Rhodda's books.

Paperplane you'll have to try some of the Australian authors mentioned in this thread.

So you'd really recommend the Millenium series? I've heard it mentionned a lot, but was a little afraid they'd be very commercial, not so well written book (kinda like Twilight really *attemps to tiptoe her way out of the room*) I'll have to give it a go then.

I can't vouch for the whole millennium series, but I'm half way through the first one and I'm loving it! :roll:

I kind of feel that picking a favourite English or British author is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. There are a huge number of them, and most people are familiar with them.

Even if I was picking my favourite author who is strongly associated with my home town, I'm a bit too spoilt for choice - with the likes of CS Lewis, Matthew Arnold, Lewis Carroll, Philip Pullman, Brian Aldiss, JRR Tolkien, Graham Greene, TE Lawrence, Johnson, Shelley, Elliott and so on - to come down on the side of anyone in particular. Although probably my favourite Oxford-specific/Oxford-centric novel ends up being Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.