Rawr's Reads... (started 2009)

Rawr

This is for the remainder of 2009 and heading into 2010

Yay for alliteration, otherwise i would sit here pondering titles endlessly :giggle:

Anyway, well i have been around BCF for quite a while now, and never really opened up or attempted to organise my reading ventures. So, why not today? :D

I shall start by adding what i know i have lying around to read or re-read and no doubt add more as i either come across it within my bedroom, pick up yet another recommendation, or find something interesting in the depths whilst exploring a library or bookshop.

I am not going to bother posting what i have already read since before this date as there is no point cluttering up my thread, plus chances are i might even add some titles to be re-read!

Okay. I'm not sure if short stories would count, as i like to pick and choose every now and then between collections as it makes them easier to divulge - between reading novels - and a nice change.

Purple = Read, date finished :blush:

~

Four Past Midnight - Stephen King

- The Langoliers READ - 28/12/09

- Secret Window, Secret Garden READ - 3/1/10

The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

The Body Snatcher and Other Tales - Robert Louis Stevenson

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl (Re-Read)

The Dark Half - Stephen King

The Pit and the Pendulum - Edgar Allen Poe

Inkspell - Cornelia Funke

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bront

Edited by Rawr

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe you actually started your own reading thread :giggle:

Gratz! :blush:

I have my shiny new one for 2010 locked at the moment, in theory I have a couple more books to read before the new year!

Battle Royale is a very good book, apart from the poor translation in places. It's a good book to 'study' in conjunction with the movie and extracts from the manga series, because of being an usual story it has aspects suited each medium, and I imagine the comparison is something that would itrigue you ;)

Yes, i decided to finally join in the fun! :giggle:

I am around three quarters through Battle Royale, the problem is that i last read it around half a year ago, so i think i'll start again, i must have got sidetracked haha. It was great though! I think this was actually the last novel i bought! It is a good commentary on a lot of things though, and i love the movie too!

Some excellent titles on their, Rawr, and woo-HOO! for a re-read of the Shining. That is always an excellent idea and one to be encouraged :giggle:. Catcher in the Rye is a classic IMO, and I personally loved Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Oh, and we both have to read Jonathan Strange :blush:.

Yes, i have held the Bronte and Austen titles in my possession for a while but not gotten onto reading them as of yet. Plus when i embark upon my university degree again in a couple of years, they are sure to be on my course, so it's useful for me to read them either way :giggle:

I have read Salem's Lot twice, i think i commented on your TBR thread :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

The Catcher in the Rye has been in my collection for a couple of years, one of my college literature teachers pointed me in it's direction, i look forward to reading this as it has a lot of themes which interest me.

The Curious Incident of the Dog... has been on my radar for a while too, so i can't wait for that.

The Life of Pi i am interested in as it recently won the Mann Booker and i like the synopsis :D

And Kylie i look forward to hearing your opinions on some titles too :friends0:

I read another Poe tale the other night, The Man That Was Used Up so i will add that on the list as read. It is a very odd and extremely brief tale, i still don't know what to make of it, certainly not one of his best however in my opinion.

The Catcher in the Rye has been in my collection for a couple of years, one of my college literature teachers pointed me in it's direction, i look forward to reading this as it has a lot of themes which interest me.

I read the Catcher in the Rye in school and it was one of my favorites. Hope you like it :friends0:

Yes, i was a little sad that my high school chose Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men' i simply did not connect to that at all, maybe it was to do with the state of the school at the time, but i remember not even reading it barely and ending up guessing the examination questions :friends0:

As the college i moved to had done Salinger's novel for that exam, hence my teacher recommending it :D

:friends0: I keep being tempted to add more and more but the TBR pile tends to turn into a Vesuvian eruption of chaos if i keep doing that :D

:friends0: I keep being tempted to add more and more but the TBR pile tends to turn into a Vesuvian eruption of chaos if i keep doing that :D

I hear you Rawr, I have managed to convince myself that a few more books won't make a difference :D

Yes, as long as we keep telling ourselves this, nothing will get out of hand 0:-)

(or we will just pretend we can't see all those new books sneaking on there)

Well it looks like i've been a typical BCF maniac and been on a book hunting expedition :D

Today i bought:

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Under the Dome (hardback :kissing:) - Stephen King

The Testament of Gideon Mack - James Robertson

Cabal - Clive Barker

Recipe For A Rainbow - Inspirational Stories of Everyday Life - Vera Waters

The Sea - John Banville

Two of them were from WH Smith (Under the Dome / Life of Pi) as the prices were slightly lower, and the King one is a first edition in comparison to the same priced 5th edition in Waterstones. The other four were from a newly opened independent book store in the town's central shopping district, i got these for around

Def. good deals for me :kissing: First time i've been able to buy any books since like February!

I have read the Books of Blood Cali, i really liked a couple of them, and have heard that Cabal is a little disturbing so will look forward to it :)