How do you choose your next book?

Michelle

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have a look and see what grabs my attention when I come to choose another book to read. :censored:

This is pretty much what I do, I tend to go through phases of what genre I really want to read, so I just look at what I have that suits my mood and then pick something from that ;)

I generally have a good idea of the next few books I want to read, so I pick whichever one takes my fancy the most. Sometimes my choice is dictated by an upcoming group read. Once or twice last year I rolled a dice to help me choose. That was fun. ;)

Interesting. I wonder how different my life would be now if I had flipped a coin when trying to decide whether to buy a house or use the money to travel. I'm not sure that I would be brave enough to try it. ;)

I just take a glimpse at my TBR pile and choose the first thing that catches my eye. I do often save the books I'm really looking forward to for last, though. ;) The only time I have a problem choosing a new book, is when the previous book I read was absolutely fantastic and I want to read something even better than that.

I so rarely have a TBR pile as i read so quickly, so I tend to browse the Library or bookshop and wait for one to jump out at me, read the synopsis and get it on the strength of that, I do have a wish list on Amazon but thats for books yet to be published and I hate waiting!

I generally have a good idea of the next few books I want to read

Same here. I've been reading quite a few books which are part of a series recently so it's simply been a case of picking up the next book, or sometimes I'll alternate books from different series.

Honestly, whatever I am in the mood for atm becomes my next book.. I can try to pick up a book I have been meaning to read for a while, but when I am not in the mood for it, I tend to read some pages and have no idea what I have just read.. and then put it aside and go to the book that draws me most at that moment. :roll:

My preferred genre is horror but i dont like reading one horror book after another so i tend to read 2 or 3 horror books then break it up with a thriller, true crime, comedy etc book. That way i dont get tired of the same old genre. Also, do many people read health or financial books? I often get great pleasure reading current event books or books about modern health ailments.

I don't think I could read many non-fiction books cover to cover (although I have vowed to start doing so with my tomes on writing), reference for me is to be referred to when needed, and I'm definitely not the financial or healthy type :lol:.

Not too sure how I do go go about choosing my next book really; probably not very well, considering that no matter how good it turns out to be, usually after a couple of pages I find myself longlingly looking up my shelf to something else entirely :ditto:!

afraid I more or less gave up non-fiction when i finished studying although I have since then read one or two very good archaeology books which I wish had ben around when i was studying.

I don't know how I chose the 4 books I have come back from town with today, probably because i know all the authors bar one and just fancied the 4th because I have read good things about it on here.

i love to try new authors just like nollaig recommended bill hussey to me and i think the great beauty of a bookforum is that you can really expand your reading list. In general i read crime mixed in with horror. My present book is the lovers by john connolly which is crime but gothic in nature...the best of both worlds really!

I don't choose. I used to exercise common sense and decision making skills with regard to books, but now I just read them all at once :ditto: At the moment I'm reading three books, and there's another three I want to start. I'm trying to plough through the three I have going because I think my brain just might explode if I read six at once!

I also want to re-read a LOAD of books.