Your surprise book of 2009

SueK

I was just looking back my my reading lists for this year, and had thought it was a bad year where I'd read little, but it turns out I've read a bunch of fantastic stuff.

The big surprises of the year, though? One fiction, one non-fiction...

The Great Crash of 1929 by JK Galbraith

and

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

The Galbraith you'd think was just going to be the most turgid, tedious thing. A book by an economist on an old recession, written in the 50s, re-written in the 70s. Couldn't be more wrong, it's funny, witty, pacy, fascinating, insightful, and you just wish that everyone who'd been trading CDOs and CDSs in the mid-2000s had read his warnings on leverage and debt and bubbles. History is doomed to repeat itself. It's astonishing how prescient he was, too, telling us that as we forget past crashes we get rid of the regulation thinking it useless, only at some point to find ourselves skewered by the same thing.

Brideshead was one of those books I hated the idea of because of a residual memory of Jeremy Irons prancing around Oxford holding a teddy bear, and my hatred of period-ness. I'd never guessed it would be funny, satirical, dark, and not really that in love with the whole English-aristo thing. So much better than I could have guessed.

Edited by Freewheeling Andy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it would have to be The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. For a start, sci-fi is really *not* my thing and also I read it at school and it left no impression on me (although I knew the basic premise) so it came as a complete surprise to me just how much I loved it. :)

As odd as it may sound it was "To Kill a Mockingbird". Yeah Yeah it won the Pulitzer, Yeah yeah I've heard countless times it was excellent, but I wasn't sure I'd like it. I'd seen the movie, which was good, but I didn't think the book would interest me as much, but it did and more. By far my favorite book of 2009 (and probably all time).

Of all the books on your reading lists for this year, is there one that has perhaps taken you by surprise - meaning it was better than you had anticipated?

For me, I think it has to be Sashenka.

Sue, Sashenka by Simon Montefiore in on my TBR list (near the top :irked:). So I am glad it affected you so.

For me, I would have to say there were two books that surprised me this year:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The only way I can described them in one word is "Lovely." Absolutely lovely surprises.

Sue, Sashenka by Simon Montefiore in on my TBR list (near the top :irked:). So I am glad it affected you so.

For me, I would have to say there were two books that surprised me this year:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The only way I can described them in one word is "Lovely." Absolutely lovely surprises.

The Help is one of those books that I keep hearing about and hearing about but never seem to pick up when I'm at the store. I'll have to make a note to go get it!

Another one that made my year was a book of Alfred Lord Tennyson's poetry that I picked up back in June or July. His work is so passionate and beautiful, usually I read a bit of it before bed so that I can fall asleep mulling it over.

The 'Gormenghast' trilogy, by Mervyn Lawrence Peake.
Can I ask what edition you read of this? I've been meaning to read it for ages (my mum recommended it to me, and she hasn't been wrong yet), I was eyeing the Vintage version but apparently it's littered with typos and the ink comes off on your hands...!

Can I ask what edition you read of this?

Sorry, Bookjumper!! I have no idea! All I can tell you is that it was A Library book, the whole trilogy in one volume, and the front cover was dark and forebodeing....a picture of the castle, (if I remember correctly.)

Had no problems with ink, or typo's as far as I recall!! (But then, I was quite engrossed, and probably wouldn't have noticed much anyway!!)

And it's well worth reading!! (Well...the third part goes wayward a little, but I can forgive Peake that as he was apparently falling into insanity at this point....!)

And it's well worth reading!! (Well...the third part goes wayward a little, but I can forgive Peake that as he was apparently falling into insanity at this point....!)
It's precisely because I'm sure it's well worth reading that I want a nice copy which will not irritate me with errors or fall apart after a few readings :irked: the hunt continues!

In my quest to read the science fiction classics, I picked up Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney. I was expecting a rather dry read.

However, the book moved along quite nicely and kept me turning pages with no problems.

For me, it would have to be The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. :lol:

Janet,

I found your experience here to closely mirror mine with Invasion of the Body Snatchers. "Triffids" is one of my favorite SF classics.

Have you read the sequel, "The Night of the Triffids" by Simon Clark. Not exactly a sequel as it is by a different author, but Clark takes up the story where the original ended.

dan :D

Edited by purple95

'The Time Traveller's Wife' caught me out a little. I had read mixed reviews on it, had an urge to read it, and was totally thrown by the impact it had on me.

I loved the premise, I adored the character of Clare, and felt it worked well from begining to end. I still think of it, which is the mark of an effective book in my opinion.

The 'Gormenghast' trilogy, by Mervyn Lawrence Peake.

I've been meaning to buy this for AGES!!! About 10 years ago I was addicted to the BBC adaptation starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Steerpike and other well know actors such as June Brown, Stephen Fry, Zoe Wanamaker, Christopher Lee, Richard Griffiths......too many to list :lol:

I'm adding these to my 2010 'to buy' list :D

In my quest to read the science fiction classics, I picked up Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney. I was expecting a rather dry read.

However, the book moved along quite nicely and kept me turning pages with no problems.

Janet,

I found your experience here to closely mirror mine with Invasion of the Body Snatchers. "Triffids" is one of my favorite SF classics.

Have you read the sequel, "The Night of the Triffids" by Simon Clark. Not exactly a sequel as it is by a different author, but Clark takes up the story where the original ended.

Hi Dan. :D I perhaps should look out for Invasion of the Body Snatchers then. :lol:

I didn't realise there was a 'sequel' to DotT. I tend to avoid sequels written by different authors, but again, perhaps I'll check this one out. Thanks.

Definately 'The Book Thief'. My husband bought it for himself and when he finished it he said I should read it as it was so good. It took a few months for me to actually pick it up and read it but I was so glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it! I would happily read this again:readingtwo:

I discovered the novels of Barbara Pym in 2009. I found the first one at a used bookshop, thinking it would be just a mild diversion and I really LOVED it! Since then I've been on a hunt to find the rest of her novels, and have now read 5 of them so far. I also found 'A Very Private Eye'~which is a collection of her letters and diaries, and from that I can see how autobiographical her books are. (Her own life would make a great novel, actually, though it would be a bit sad--unrequited love issues). Also, the main characters from earlier books are mentioned in later ones so everyone sort of 'connects' somehow. She really was a very gifted writer!

• 4 weeks later...

New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. I'm not much of a fan of meta-fiction or of authors who inject themselves into their tales, normally. But the Trilogy novellas are just plain ripping yarns, I was mesmerized from beginning to end, and when finished I felt as if my perception of reality had shifted ever so slightly.

Anagrams by Lorrie Moore was another surprise. I hadn't heard of her before her new novel was recently published. Again, some post-modern literary gamesmanship, but also a depth of feeling this reader rarely encounters.

My surprise book of 2009 had to be Poisoned Love by Melanie Cane. I was approached to read this and review it by the publisher, and I was glued to the pages for a whole weekend.