Best Books of the 2000s

Los Ping

As 2010 is coming up I want to see what books were the best of the decade. Only name one book, the author, and the year so there is not only one person filling out this list. Be creative and pick a book that might not be extremely popular. I'll keep a list on this post.

Best Books of the 2000's

World War Z - Max Brooks - 2006

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon - 2003

The Lovely Bones- Alice Sebold- 2002

The Horrific Sufferings of Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred - Carl-Johan Vallgren - 2002

The Plucker: An Ilustrated Novel by Brom - 2005

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - 2003

Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk - 2006

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

The Shadow Of The Sun - Ryszard Kapuscinski

Sashenka - Simon Montefiore - 2008

Ian McEwan - Atonement - 2001

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - 2005

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Girl Meets Boy - Ali Smith

Edited by Los Ping

It was really hard to choose between my three personal favourites of the 2000's, but here goes my choice before I change my mind:

The Horrific Sufferings of Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred by Carl-Johan Vallgren (2002)

I've surely missed obvious ones, but

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon

and I suspect, although I'm only reading it now, so perhaps I need distance to confirm... but I wanted to include some non-fiction

Shadow of the Sun - Ryszard Kapuscinski

I'll get in with this before anybody else does, 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger (2003 I believe, although it says 2004 in my copy)

Luckily my other favourite book (Captain Corelli's Mandolin) was published before 2000 so not too much deliberation!

Gah, I have two... both by the same author though, so in the end it's not too painful to pick just one:

Ian McEwan - Atonement. 2001.

McEwan has a brilliant way of taking a fairly common situation and making it real and distressing for the reader. (And I read this prior to the screening of the film.)

Although I don't give ratings to books I reviews on here or on my blog, I do actually rate them myself, just to give me an at a glance look at how I felt about books when I read them. Going back through all the books I've given five stars to in the last five years (since I started keeping a record of what I'd read), nearly all the books getting the perfect score were written before 1960, so I didn't have much choice for the books I could chose here!

However, I'll stop waffling on, and declare my best book of the decade as Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith, which was a beautiful, uplifting, joyful book.

One of my favourite books ever. It's so easy to read but captures it's subject matter perfectly.

Naive. Super - Erlend Loe (Author), Tor Ketil Solberg (Translator) (2005)

This one is funny, well observed and superbly written

Apathy and Other Small Victories - Paul Neilan (2006)