Hannibal Rising

Beccles

What a great work of art that Thomas Harris has written about the young Hannibal Lecter. He only

killed those who were bad to him

is the author telling us what the character did was justified?

we have all been wronged but as a christian I forgive those who were bad to me.

It seems that Lecter was a very clever man and was not really an out and out killer but a victim.

What do the forum think?

Having read the previous Hannibal novels, I found 'Hannibal Rising' interesting and unexpected.

The expected included the notion of

revenge against those who killed his sister, but his almost chivalrous killing for insulting

the Lady Murasaki, herself an enigmatic addition to the story, was quite startling, although in it would probably be considered 'in character' for Hannibal.

Clearly what he has

endured has damaged his psyche from an early age, trauma after trauma,

and in many ways he can be considered initially at least, a victim. I'm not sure this entirely explains

his competency and seeming enjoyment in his killing of others.

I really need to read these books......adding them to my TBR mountain as we speak.

The movie was on tv not long ago and I loved that. I've been too scared to watch Silence of the Lambs but saw Red Dragon a few years ago (I think this is part of the series??) which was also amazing! :lol:

• 2 months later...

I have read Silence of the Lambs (which I actually prefer over the movie) and still need to read the rest of the series. Agh - so many books to read!

I think I found this book in my family's huge assortment of books (that or Hannibal). Well, at least it's there when I have the time to get to it.

I agree with runner in that I found Silence of the Lambs an amazing book, as I did Red Dragon. Hannibal, I can give or take (rather like the film, which I didn't really like) so I am mixed about Hannibal Rising. I keep meaning to pick it up from the library and give it a go but I don't know whether to go through the triology beforehand to refresh my memory.

PS - Beccles, I used to live just down the road from you! I grew up just off the A146 :roll:

I've actually seen all the films but for some reason haven't actually read any of the books - not sure I'd be able to stomach them!

I still get haunted just by thinking of Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs!

I was watching South Park the other night and Cartman was playing a game called 'Lambs' which is basically him doing the whole 'it puts the lotion on it's skin........ impression - it made me laugh and I doubt I'll be able to watch this bit in the the film again without laughing!

Might give the books a go actually!

Is this book anything like the film? Cause I did like the film, even though it wasn't really logical for me that Hannibal originated like this, I expected something different, maybe not so much a specific trauma to be at the base of his cannibalism. So I liked the film as a film, but not really as part of the Hannibal Lector films. I loved all the others, though Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon more than Hannibal.. though that one was a little more directed at gore than the others. I mean..

the scene where he feeds the guy his own brains? In a way I really liked that scene, but also I had the idea it was just created to get people sickened out.

I am always meaning to read these books, but I have only so far picked up Silence of the Lambs, and not gotten very far, because I wasn't in the mood for that one at the time.

I did like the film, and despite what people have to say, I like the actor that plays Hannibal, he's got that whole evil charm thing going, and I liked this film for giving insight into the brain and past of a psychopath, something I always found interesting.

So again, is the book like the film?

This is one of my all time favourite series'. I think the books are always better than the films and read each one before seeing the movies, although in this case, I did think all the movies were each good adaptions of the books.

The film Hannibal Rising does stick pretty close to the book Univerze, only as usual, the book is better ;)