Are you the 'main reader' in your house?

Michelle

I never used to be as my sons were always reading, that was before they got a PC. I used to be amazed at how much they read and wished I had the enthusiasm too. Now I'm the main reader and loving it. :D

Also i got my 9 year old into reading and he can read books faster than me :)

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I am the ONLY reader in the house. I have tried and tried to get Robbie to read but as most typical 12 year old boys, he is more interested in playing football or playing on his computer.

It also means that he doesn't really understand that when I am reading my book I would like to not be disturbed. :readingtwo:

You should sometimes keep popping up behind him when he's playing on computer, Nici, asking irritating questions and just "checking up" on him...

As for me, well, I live alone, so... *grin* But, to humor you all, I'll play with little hypotheticals... If I was living with BF I wouldn't be the only one reading, as BF enjoys it too, but I probably read more than he does. I'm pretty sure. If I lived with DD, I would read more, but simply because he doesn't have much time for reading. When I was living with the Old Dragon, she actually read more that I did, if we're excluding school books. But she doesn't read that much anymore, her eyes are getting old. (don't you dare tell her I said that, she'll have my head!) ... maman? she always read a lot. So she'd probably read more than me, even now. She always had an opinion of the latest books, she knew so many classics, she could quote you Voltaire...

I am not the only reader in my house. Michael my husband reads most days - I would say he is a more serious reader of serious books.

My son Philip reads regularly, I couldn't believe he got through 'Mein Kampf' last year aged 14. He has read 'Lord of the Rings', and all of Harry Potter but his main love is Robert Muchamore's 'Cherub' series for which he is a mod on the Cherub Forum.

Daughter reads sporadically. 'Chav' series by Grace Dent being the current favourite.

Our bookshelves in all our rooms creak with the weight!

I am the main reader in our house, I read anything and everything - even backs of packets if I dont have a book to hand.

My OH is much more into TV but I convinced him to read his first book as an adult last year at the age of 33! He is dyslexic (I can believe I just struggled to spell that word!) and finds reading difficult but I am proud he finished the book - Cold Granite by Stuart Macbride. I sneaked another book into his bag before he went offshore this time but he hasnt started it yet.

I am actively encouraging my 4 year old daughters reading habit - I buy her books regularly and we usually go to the library every fortnight. Reading is so important for children.

I am the main reader in my house, but if Kat lived at home she'd give me a run for my money :readingtwo:, the only things hubby reads are classic car weekly, fishing reports and car manuals!, son occasionally reads and youngest tends to start books but not finish them. I keep trying to encourage her to read more but most times its like banging my head against a brick wall ;). We both joined the library a couple of years ago but she rarely comes with me now.

I am the main reader in my house, which only includes my boyfriend and me. He likes to read, he just hasn't had the time for it for a long time. Once school gets out, he usually wants to stay away from books for awhile.

I was also the main reader when I was growing up. My parents read for fun, but I would spend whole summers doing nothing but reading. My mom says I was born with a book in my hand. My brothers like to read a bit more now, and I got my older brother into Tolkien, and he reads biographies of jazz musicians and composers.

Well, at present I'm the only reader, but I'm determined that Tadpole will have a love of literature instilled from before birth. I'll be reading to my belly from about 20 weeks (which is only a few weeks away) as aparently, Tad will be able to hear things going on in the world outside at around that time. I have some wonderful books liked up to start Tad off (Winnie the Pooh, The Wind in the Willows, Alice in Wonderland and some Beatrix Potter books to name a few).

Sorry slightly O/T

I bought my daughter the full set of Moomin books by Tove Jansson, would recommend them but def. for when your child is a bit older.

Kell - Would highly recommend Hairy Maclary by Linley Dodds and Dr Suess books - both are firm favourites in our house.

Kx

I am pretty much the only reader in my house.

My dad has never read anything except school books - I remember him buying a copy of Treasure island, he kept reading the first 20 pages over and over because he couldn't remember what he'd just read... :readingtwo: My mum rarely reads, maybe 2 or 3 books in the summer, she keeps herself busy with her thousand other hobbies!

Don't you dare leave out Le Petit Prince! *insert fake pout here* Also, once Tadpole is older, the Moomin books are good.

I just read Le Petit Prince last year and thought it was lovely, so I'll have to remember that one for Taddy. And as for the Moomin books, I never read them myself, but I used to love the TV programme (the original proper one, that is) so I think they'll get a shoe-in!

Kell - Would highly recommend Hairy Maclary by Linley Dodds and Dr Suess books - both are firm favourites in our house.

Kx

Never heard of Hairy Maclary, so I'll have to look out for those. I'm ashamed to say that I've never liked the Dr Suess books though - can't stand them. :readingtwo:

My dad has never read anything except school books...

That's the same with my dad. He just doesn't get the whole reading for enjoyment thing at all and if he sees me buying new books or if he asks me what I want for my birthday or for Christmas and my reply is 'books' or 'book vouchers' he just sort of rolls his eyes at me.