Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

Janet

060-2009-Nov-07-TomsMidnightGarden.jpg

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce

The 'blurb'

Sent to stay with his aunt and uncle in a dull old house without even a garden, Tom is not looking forward to his summer holiday.

However, when the clock strikes thirteen at midnight, Tom opens a door to find an adventure more wonderful than he could ever have imagined.

One of my favourite books from childhood, I thought it was about time I re-read the story, and being first published in 1958 it was also eligible for my 'Reading Through The Decades' challenge.

Tom's brother has measles so although he doesn't want to go, he is sent to stay with his aunt and uncle in their flat for the school holidays. Tom hates being there because is nothing to do and nobody to play with. He's warned about the old lady who lives on the top floor who owns the building - she's cantankerous and he's told to stay out of her way.

When the Grandfather clock in the hall downstairs mysteriously strikes thirteen one night, Tom goes down to investigate and there he finds a garden. But the garden is not all it seems.

In the garden, he has all sorts of adventures with a young girl called Hatty who (apart from the gardener) is the only person who can see Tom. They embark on various adventures, but when Tom goes back into the house, it is always the exact time he left.

The strange thing is that as time passes, Hatty grows up but Tom remains the same age. Eventually there comes a time when he can't get back to the garden and just when he thinks he won't ever see Hatty again, he has a surprise...

This book lived up to my memory of it and I really enjoyed it. What else can I say about it other that that it is simply magical?

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post, I felt compelled to join in as I am reading this book with my son at the moment, I first read it as a child. It really is just as good as I remember it, a really lovely read!:)

(Now off with some excitement and not a little trepidation to comment on lots of other threads!)

• 1 year later...