Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Kate

tuesdays-with-morrie.jpg

Waterstones Synopsis:

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, and gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For MitchAlbom , that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly 20 years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you? MitchAlbom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying of ALS - or motor neurone disease - Morrie visited Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class": lessons in how to live. This is a chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.

This is an extraordinary book. Albom actually refers to it as a thesis. In this book he records conversations he has with an old university tutor who is dying. These conversations consist of Morrie sharing his wisdom about life with Mitch. He has a wonderful insight into life, especially in regards to happiness and death. It is an enlightening book and an enjoyable book.

Albom is a wonderful writer. Even though this is a recollection of conversations Morrie and Mitch had, this is written as a story, and you forget that it isAlbom's memories, and a piece of work that Morrie wanted written - he even gave Albom the title.

I really enjoyed this book. It was very descriptive, and I found it heartbreaking to read about how Morrie was deteriorating and his death. This was such a good read. It was easy to read insightful. I felt I got a lot out of this book.

8/10

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ahh I think it was a nice book. Yeah it wasn't great and there was nothing particularly orginal in it, but it's somewhat inspirational - it's a feelgood book and since it's actually based on a real man, it's a reminder that there are decent people out there - you might not agree with everything they say or believe, but the point is they try to be good, they live full lives and in this case, a little old man convinced an old student to change his attitude to life, which is no small feat :D

I would also reccomend to anyone who liked this book, or who would like something as an improvement on it - Inside The Mind Of Gene Roddenberry by Yvonne Fern - it's not ABOUT Star Trek per se, it's about the mind behind it and it really is like a highly intelligent, slightly more profound version of Morrie - the last days and conversations of Gene Roddenberry as recorded by Yvonne Fern.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I really liked this book,and all Albom's others so far. I have the newest one but haven't read it yet .

I guess everyone has their specific tastes in books ,and I can understand why this wouldn't be a book that everyone would like. It is a pretty sad subject,and would be so very hard to see someone with an illness like Morrie had.

I guess I am always looking for answers in life, and tend to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how I would deal with a situation if it happened to me,so sometimes books like this help me to do that .

I guess the main thing I took from it was to try to enjoy each day you are given ,even if it turns out to be a rotten day ,try to learn something from the bad and be thankful for the good .