Jane Eyre vs The Eyre Affair - Comparisons

Vanwa

A couple of us have come up with the idea of comparing literature for fun.

The general idea is to take two novels (or other works), read both pieces and then discuss any possible points of interest. These might be how a classic piece inspires more modern works, differences and similarities in language, structure, themes, symbolism, and this kind of thing.

As I've mentioned to Michelle, this is to be entirely a seperate thing from the readers' circles and is in no way intended to hijack the (valuable) efforts of the team who run those circles. It came about whilst discussing how fun it would be for us to look at the kinds of things listed above, and also to look at different types of works, such as poetry and drama.

My partners in crime on this one are BookJumper and Libris Vermis, but the reason for the thread is to open up the idea and discussion to anyone else who might be interested.

So for our first go at this, we've agreed on Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair in comparison with Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.

We would be looking to finish reading the books by the end of the first week in December (around the 5th, so approx. 2.5 weeks per book) and then follow that up with a fortnight of discussion.

:D

Edited by Vanwa
see Michelle's post :)

Leave it to me to think of things as the last minute:roll:, but if we do have others interested in participating, don't we need to leave some time for them to respond?

And what shall we make the deadline for others to respond if they are interested?

Gah, Libri, you could have mentioned ten minutes or so ago...blah blah. :D

To be honest I don't see that it's vitally neccessary (erm, not actually sure those two words work in conjunction like that...) for people to respond, but it would be nice if people did :). I think rather I should just mention that anyone interested needs to have finished reading the two books by the dates I mentioned in the first post in order to participate in the discussion.

I'm interested! I actually read both books earlier this year:)

Fab, it'd be great for you to join us then :lol:.

@ BookJumper: Look at me go! I multi-quoted :D

Gah, Libri, you could have mentioned ten minutes or so ago...blah blah. :D

I can't help it. I am usually in another world (reading). :D

To be honest I don't see that it's vitally neccessary (erm, not actually sure those two words work in conjunction like that...) for people to respond, but it would be nice if people did :). I think rather I should just mention that anyone interested needs to have finished reading the two books by the dates I mentioned in the first post in order to participate in the discussion.
Ahhh, sounds good!

@ BookJumper: Look at me go! I multi-quoted

Wahey, well done!

I'm looking forward to finding Jane Eyre in the mail soon (RM permitting); in the meantime, I'll get on with re-reading Jasper - his books are so wonderfully, saturatedly complex my brain just drains information... :D!