Tim Minchin (I had to)

Nollaig

This:

timminchin.jpg

is a 'Tim Minchin'.

Things he does:

- Be very very intelligent and articulate.

- Plays piano AMAZINGLY.

- Sings almost as amazingly (when he tries.)

- Beat Poetry.

- Poses as a comedian, when like all real jesters he's the King's conscience and actually is just telling is like it is when the court are at their most open - when laughing and singing along.

Things he sings/talks about:

- Himself (as a Rock And Roll Nerd, and as being Not Perfect) (and about his baby in his Christmas song.)

- Religion, God, the Bible, spirituality, astrology, miracles and homeopathy. He doesn't like these.

- Science, evolution, maths, physics and Tony the Fish. He likes these.

- Death, dying (occasionally, and it's usally about his wife.)

- Politics, racism, ignorance and a particular enviornmental issue (Canvas Bags).

- Sex, love, inflatable dolls.

- Good grammar. (Broke is the past tense of break, so he doesn't see how you can have a stockbroker.)

Listen to him if:

- You're open-minded about all the above, or tolerant of cricitisms of them.

- You like comedians who require you to think. He's very intellectual.

- You like comedians who aren't really comedians but are instead highly endearing people who make you want to hug them because they made you cry with their serious songs.

Also, he swears and uses the c-word on occasion, so that might put some people off. Apparently people have said to him, 'why do you swear so much when you can play piano?' He doesn't really understand such questions, and points out that he doesn't always have his piano at traffic lights.

Youtube any of the underlined titles along with his name and you'll get good examples of his work. They should all be relatively unoffensive.

Discuss or ignore, do not say anything mean, I have the power to ban you. :D

Edited by Nollaig

I laughed when I saw the thread title. :D

I think you're convincing me even more that I really need to look him up. I share a lot of his likes and dislikes as well.

And I had no idea that he's into beat poetry! That's definitely another plus. :D

So where do I start? How many albums does he have? Recommendations please! I'd like to check out the videos but I'm currently at work where we don't have access to YouTube, and I don't have enough download time left at home to watch videos for the next week or two.

Also, he swears and uses the c-word on occasion, so that might put some people off. Apparently people have said to him, 'why do you swear so much when you can play piano?' He doesn't really understand such questions, and points out that he doesn't always have his piano at traffic lights.

:D That really made me laugh. I'll have to check some of his videos out.

Me too! :D

Kylie: Uhh, Uhh. Okay, he has three shows. Darkside, So Live/So Rock (Dvd/cd) and the newest one, Ready For This. They're the three albums, and there's the So Live dvd, the So F**king Rock Live one (material from both Darkside & So Live) and Ready For This, currently only available from Australia.

The best songs are the ones I've underlined in the first post, but here's a more extensive list:

Rock And Roll Nerd

Not Perfect

Inflatable You

If You Really Loved Me (may be a version with the N-word, so don't get offended, he removed it)

Peace Anthem For Palestine

You Grew On Me

White Wine In The Sun

Darkside

Angry (Feet) - Beat Poem featuring schitzophrenia (very heavy language)

Prejudice

If anyone can watch the video for 'So Rock' he does some miming and stuff (he's all about theatrics)

Canvas Bags

Tony The Fish (stand up bit about evolution and feet)

If You Open Your Mind Too Much, Your Brain Will Fall Out (Take my wife.)

Drowned - a serious song done for a movie.

There is also Rock And Roll Nerd: The Tim Minchin Story, which is a genuine documentary following his last attempt at getting famous at the age of 29/30, after which he would have had to have given up music and gotten a day job, as he and his wife were heavily in debt. Luckily, he got famous.

Edited by Nollaig

He's been on two episodes of Buzzcocks and on both is jetlagged and the quietest and least funny I've ever seen him - I was very disappointed as I know a lot of people first see him on there.

He's also on two episodes of an Aussie show called Spicks and Specks, which I think is a similar sort of celebrity quiz show, but about music, and Tim's been on that twice, and written/played a song each for Adam Hills and Alan Brough (called the Adam Hillsong and My Six Foot Four Kiwi respectively.) They're amusing songs.

Well, I just decided to bankrupt myself and asked my uncle in Australia to buy any dvd's/cd's that he might come across! Okay, I might have actually said you have to go into the city a.s.a.p. and buy plenty of Tim goodness for me :D

Haha awwww. I just bought the special edition of So F**King Rock Live (Might I add, I'm not censoring that for the forum, that's the actual title, Tim loves censorship and thinks it's amusing because now the substitute f**k is so commonly used that it seems to signify that word more than the actual word does) and it has allllll his best material, except stuff from the new show. :D

He sang about 5 gays and 2 pianos - basically about upgrading the house band :P Loved the crack he made about Jamie Cullum and yes, pretty eyes indeed - I loved the way the camera just kept focusing on them *sigh* It might just be my eyesight but they didn't look very blue to me tonight. And how he gets when he talks about his children or 'woman-child' and 'boy' as he seemed to be calling them tonight! Best bit was when

he pulled Wossy's trousers down then had to sit at the other end of the sofa until he pulled them up again

:D:lol:

Just watched it - loved it!

And he talked about the gig he did here in Ireland! Bless.... he actually got it slightly wrong, the actual response was much better. He didn't say, 'you're like a plant (leading into the next song), and like all plants in my life you will die soon' he said, 'what perfect timing! It's as though I planted you there myself, and like all things I plant, you will die soon' :P

The song was awesome too :D

• 4 weeks later...

I recorded a repeat of The Sideshow featuring Tim and watched it last night. He sang Rock and Roll Nerd and he did the Angry (Feet) poem. I thought both were brilliant! Then I showed them both to my OH and he enjoyed them too. :D

Oh you lucky thing! I've only seen him once, but I did meet him and get hugs and photos so it was amazing.

My favourite song.... I don't know. There's a list. Not Perfect, What Was 05 For?, White Wine In The Sun, The Song For Phil Doust, You Grew On Me and mostly his non-comedy stuff like Understand It (from the doco) Drowned (movie soundtrack) and 'Sit' the album by his old band Timmy The Dog.

• 4 weeks later...

If you really love Minchie, help him get into the Christmas Top Twenty Chart:

Buy his christmas single,

, on itunes.

It's less than a pound, two copies will make a difference, and half the proceeds from December sales go to a charity for Austistic kids.

So g'wan, better than X-Factor or "Killing In The Name Of" (:17:) right?!

Right that's my promotion bit done. Don't report me or I'll have to scold and possibly ban myself.

Also - if you do actually buy it, please say so here! I'd love to know who does. (Probably no one, I know.)

Edited by Nollaig

• 1 month later...

Noll, I'm just watching a great show here called Good News Week and Tim is on as a guest. He's already getting a few laughs. ;) Maybe some YouTube clips will become available for you to view? I hope so, for your sake. :censored: