Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber

Kate

twenty-wishes.jpg

Amazon description:

What do you want most in the world? Bookshop owner Anne Marie Roche wants to find happiness again. Her life hasn't turned out as she expected and recently widowed, she's never felt more alone. On Valentine s Day, Anne Marie and a several other widows get together to celebrate...what? Hope, possibility, the future. They each begin a list of twenty wishes, things they always wanted to do but never did. As Anne Marie works her way through her wishes, she learns that dreams can come true - but not necessarily in the way you expect.

I am a large fan of Macomber and was not let down by this book, which is the fourth book in the Blossom Street series. The difference between this book and the other three are that instead of focussing on Lydia in the knitting shop, we are with Anne Marie in the book shop. This opened up a path for new characters and storylines, whilst still keeping the other shops and their occupants present in the book. I enjoyed this new side to Blossom Street. I think for Macomber to have branched out to another shop is a good idea and it made for wonderful reading.

I enjoyed all the characters in this story. Anne-Marie is the main character, but as is typical Macomber, she has a small circle of friends all whom we spend time with. All four ladies are trying to get on with their lives after their husbands died and I enjoyed how Macomber didn't neglect anyone - we read about all their struggles and joys. I liked all the women and am not sure I could pick a favourite.

This is a touching book that is extremely readable. I felt the ending was a little bit rushed but it did answer all questions. I also found some of the storylines predictable, but I didn't mind that at all. Widowhood is a tough subject for someone to tackle but I think Macomber stood up to the challenge exceptionally well, exploring different routes and things people do to resolve grief. The idea of making a list of twenty wishes to achieve I liked; it gives direction and purpose.

This book took me a day to read, I didn't want to put it down. Macomber is one of my favourite authors and I am yet to read something of hers I don't like. Yes it is female fiction, but thoroughly enjoyable and I highly recommend it.

9/10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...