Linda321's reading list/blog

linda321

I am reading Emma right now, as it is the book of the month, and I really want to read books and discuss them with people.

Other books waiting to be read:

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (started but put down for Emma)

Moondust - Andrew Smith ( a R&J book. I swa the actual review and thought it sounded great, but after the first 120 pages I had to put it down, it is so boring! I wonder if I will pick it up again!!)

Stephen Fry - Moab is my Washpot (must get inot reading more autobiogs)

Empress Orchid - Anchee Min (another R&J book)

I don't know how she does it - Alison Pearson ( a swapped book)

State of the Union - Douglas Kennedy (read A Speical Relationship a while ago, and love his writing style, so thought I'd try something else by him)

Books I've heard of that I'd like to read:

I think there is a new one by Sebastian Foulkes.

Stephen Fry - Moab is my Washpot (must get inot reading more autobiogs)

State of the Union - Douglas Kennedy (read A Speical Relationship a while ago, and love his writing style, so thought I'd try something else by him)

I have SOTU on my 'to read' pile, and Moab on my wishlist!

I think there is a new one by Sebastian Foulkes.

Human Traces? It came out in paperback on 6 July.

I started reading Birdsong by him, but it was when I was having an 'off' phase with reading, and also doing AS level Psych, so although I was enjoying it, I didn't finish it. I must dig it out again - my Mum thought it was great.

HI Michelle, good to hear that Empress Orchid has been nominated, must go and vote for it!

Janet, you must try Birdsong again. It is one of the best WW1 novels. Yes, Human Traces, that's it. I saw it in WHS the other day. Might have to treat myself next time I'm in town.

• 2 weeks later...
HI Michelle, good to hear that Empress Orchid has been nominated, must go and vote for it!

Janet, you must try Birdsong again. It is one of the best WW1 novels. Yes, Human Traces, that's it. I saw it in WHS the other day. Might have to treat myself next time I'm in town.

Birdsong....and another one I have on my shelf I have forgotten about. Thanks for reminding me....too many books not enough time. :)

Still struggling through 'Emma' . Struggling is a bit strong a word, becasue it's more that I just can't read it quickly rahter than a dislike. Some passages are soo funny, and old Mr Woodhouse reminds me very much of my MIL!!

Couldn't resist buy 2 for

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

I've finished Emma, and have read Life on a Plate by India Knight.

Emma, beautifully written, but took ages to read!

My Life on a Plate , hilariuosly funny in places, real laugh out loud, but incredibly sad in other places. Read it in about 2 days, so a real treat after Emma! Why though does chick lit have to be about very rich people (Dolce and Gabbana, jimmy choo shoes, weekends in the Ritz in paris etc)? I get a bit fed up with that!

• 3 weeks later...

Emma by Jane Austen read very slowly 8/10 (loved the film)

Empress Orchid - Anchee Min read aug 06, amazed by goings on in the Forbidden City, maybe some subtleties in the writing I've missed 8/10

Recipes for a perfect marriage - Kate Kerrigan (started sept 06)

Moondust - Andrew Smith ( a R&J book. I saw the actual review and thought it sounded great, but after the first 120 pages I had to put it down, it is so boring! I wonder if I will pick it up again!!)

Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry (must get into reading more autobiogs)

Human Traces - Sebastian Foulkes

Love on the Rocks - Veronica Henty

Why though does chick lit have to be about very rich people (Dolce and Gabbana, jimmy choo shoes, weekends in the Ritz in paris etc)? I get a bit fed up with that!

That annoys me too - what's wrong with good old M&S?! :)

Have you read State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy yet, and if so, what did you think of it?

• 2 months later...

Reading

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley reading now Oct/nov 06

Human Traces - Sebastian Foulkes (started Nov 06)

Read

Shopaholic Abroad - Sophie Kinsella Read Oct 06 in New York, absolutely hilarious, and great that we were in the same shops

Love on the Rocks - Veronica Henty read October 06, loved it, another easy read!

Emma by Jane Austen read very slowly 8/10 (loved the film)

Recipes for a perfect marriage - Kate Kerrigan read sept 06, lovely happy easy read!

Empress Orchid - Anchee Min read aug 06, amazed by goings on in the Forbidden City, maybe some subtleties in the writing I've missed 8/10

To read

Moondust - Andrew Smith ( a R&J book. I saw the actual review and thought it sounded great, but after the first 120 pages I had to put it down, it is so boring! I wonder if I will pick it up again!!)

Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry (must get into reading more autobiogs)

I read all of this - but only because I was being paid to! I thought it was a great idea for a book, but it jumped around so much, and didn't really answer any of the questions it set out to. I'm really glad I read it as it taught me loads about the space race, but I don't think I would read any more of Andrew Smith's writings.

• 1 month later...

Update

Well, I guess as it's the start of a new year, I should update my reading blog:) .

I have still left to read:

Growing Pains - Billy Piper (Christmas present, and i've nearly finished it, quite an inspring read I think!)

Mustn't Grumble - Terry Wogan (another Christmas present)

State of the Union - Douglas Kennedy (still in my waiting pile!)

Persuasion - Jane Austen (given to me by a friend along with the film, might read this one next. I'd like to read more classics this year)

Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry (still on my list)

I am also going to get back in to reading the book of the month:readingtwo: , I really enjoyed last year's selection, and it certainly got me reading books I wouldn't normally.

• 4 months later...

Phew, it's ages since I updated, will I remember what I've read?

Growing Pains - Billy Piper (Really enjoyed this, what a great girl she is, very inspiring!)

Mustn't Grumble - Terry Wogan (hmm, jumped around a bit too much for me, not really biographical)

Home to Big Stone Gap - Adriana Trigiani (enjoyed reading this, although it is 3rd in a trilogy, oops should have read the others fiorst, might try and get them. Love the quirky characters, and really empathised with the main character)

Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry (great read, what a mixed up character he was/is?)

Second Honeymoon - Joanna Trollope (I used to love JT books, but I don't think this is one of her best. Liked the topic though, quite relevant as I have teenage kids myself)

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (reading atm, loving it! I am beginning to realise that it is writing style, and particularly empathy with the characters that determines whether I like a book or not)

Still to read:

Persuasion - Jane Austen (given to me by a friend along with the film, might read this one next. I'd like to read more classics this year, hmmm still on my list!)

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (R&J book, felt drawn to it becasue I am enjoying The Kite Runner so much)

This Book will save your life - a.m homes (another R&J book)

Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult

I don't know how she does it - Alison Pearson

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

An autobiography in six acts - Jack Rosenthal

Phew, it's ages since I updated, will I remember what I've read?

Growing Pains - Billy Piper (Really enjoyed this, what a great girl she is, very inspiring!)

Daughter read this at xmas - might give it a go

Second Honeymoon - Joanna Trollope (I used to love JT books, but I don't think this is one of her best. Liked the topic though, quite relevant as I have teenage kids myself)

I agree - have read all of hers - SH not her best

Still to read:

Have read - excellent!

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (R&J book, felt drawn to it becasue I am enjoying The Kite Runner so much)

This Book will save your life - a.m homes (another R&J book)

Both on my TBR as well

Good read

Is this the man married to Maureen Lipman who wrote 'The Evacuees' among others? If so must also look for a copy. :D

Is this the man married to Maureen Lipman who wrote 'The Evacuees' among others? If so must also look for a copy. ;)

It is, yes: I read it last year and absolutely loved it. I'm not a biography lover but Rosenthal was such a great writer that I really wanted to know more. Highly recommend it (tho' I cried buckets at the end!)

• 1 month later...

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (reading atm, loving it! I am beginning to realise that it is writing style, and particularly empathy with the characters that determines whether I like a book or not) Finished, and absolutely loved it, one of the best stories I have ever read! So well written.

State of the Union - Douglas Kennedy wow, what a page turner this one is! I loved every twist and turn of this book. I do think DK is clever to write from the woman's perspective, although I sometimes think he doesn't quite get it right, but it is reight enough of thetime to be clever! Not great literature, but fab reading for a holiday, and have just recommended it to someone for a long flight.

This Book will save your life - a.m homes started this book and gave up, it is too weird for me! I did not like the main character or the setting

I don't know how she does it - Alison Pearson I quite liked this, a chic-lit book, but with a kind of serious black comedy aspect to it - about how a career woman copes with having young children.

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown Sorry but I'm not going to bother with this one!

Really enjoyable autobiography. I feel that it gave a real insight into his professional life - not so much about the private life stuff! Written as a screen play, which was very evocative! Very moving last chapter written by Maureen Lipman, espcially as my Dad suffers from the same cancer - myeloma (and my dad has had it for 10 years!)

Persuasion - Jane Austen (given to me by a friend along with the film, might read this one next. I'd like to read more classics this year, hmmm still on my list!) But has now jumped to the top pf the pile!

Promise Me - Harlan Coben