Like The Movie, Hate The Book

Katrina1968

Okay here is a question.

I just finished reading Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. I read the book because I found the movie to be enchanting.

After reading the book, I have to say, I liked the story better as a movie.

Are there books that you read because you saw the movie only to find you liked the movie version better?

Practical Magic - I liked the book, but loved the film.

Twilight - I thought the book was decidedly average, but thought the film was a lot of fun (and am hoping New Moon will also be better as a film as I thought the book - actually the whole Twilight series - to be quite trashy).

The Witches of Eastwick - Actually, I adored the book and although the film was completely different, I liked what they did with the story.

The Name of the Rose was an intriguing mystery, enriched by the likes of Sean Connery; The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco on the other hand I found so pompously, self-indulgently, preachingly overwritten I couldn't bear to continue past page 46.

The Jane Austen Book Club - I didn't like the book much . I just couldn't warm up to the characters - they seemed flat. I did like the movie though.

The same goes for me. I really didn't like the book (I even read it a second time, to give it another try), but I loved the movie.

The Name of the Rose was an intriguing mystery, enriched by the likes of Sean Connery; The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco on the other hand I found so pompously, self-indulgently, preachingly overwritten I couldn't bear to continue past page 46.

I thought the book was OK, but the film was WAAAAAYYYY better! :irked:

I usually prefer the book to a film, however, I recently read PS I Love You after watching the film, and I must say I was let down - the characters in the film were much more lifelike in my opinion

On another note, I really like both the book and the film version for Chocolat, which I must admit is one of my favourite books is

I second that. I don't like the book but love the film :D

Phew, not alone.:roll: There were parts of the book that went beyond farce, and being just extra "drama" to the book, the film-makers kept to the basic story. Thank goodness for that, and so weird that keeping a lot of stuff out of the book it made an okay film, usually lack of detail makes a bad film. :irked:

This won't be popular.

Bridget Jones Diary.

What a load of pretentious trite, IMHO. Film - not a dry seat in the house.:irked:

:roll:

Ohyes, I remember now! The Bridget Jones books are not very good. I absolutely LOVE the films though. I love Bridget :D

(they are making a third soon)

Bridget Jones Diary.

Hated the book AND the film of that, I'm afraid!

i read the book heart of darkness which is based on the film Apocalypse Now and the film won my heart so much more than the book!!!

Apocalypse Now is a calssic- totally excellent film. I could hardly believe it was based on the utter tripe that is The Heart of Darkness which, if it had been even a tiny bit longer than it was, I would never have finished as it was so bad!

Oh dear. I have both Bridget Jones books on my TBR pile!
I liked them :irked: and I'm not even a reader of the genre; I found them to be decently written, endearing and amusing in places. I also liked film #1, while #2 was far too removed from the book for my tastes.