Michael Mopurgo

Tiger

I picked up two of his books from the library today, one of which was Adolphus Tips. The other one was The Wreck of Zanzibar.

The Wreck of Zanzibar has something in coomon with Why the Whales Came, which is one of my own books. They are both set in the Scilly Isles. Why the Whales Came was my first Michael Mopurgo book that I tried, and I loved it.

Mopurgo won the Children's Laurette 2003-2005, hardly suprising as he is, in my opinion, a brilliant author.

Does anyone else like him?

I've read quite a few books by Michael Morpurgo - Little Foxes was the first one I read, years and years ago!

As a child / teenager, I read:

Why the Whales Came

Tom's Sausage Lion

The Butterfly Lion

War Horse

Farm Boy

Billy the Kid

More recently I have read:

Toro! Toro!

Private Peaceful

Adolphus Tips

I believe in Unicorns

The Best Christmas Present in the World

I love the ease with which Michael writes, and the way that he can write about so many different subjects and in so many different styles.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read Private Peaceful. Was a great read. I manged to get my teenage son to read it.

Brothers experience, trials and tribulaitions during the war. Very moving story. One I think every boy should read. :)

• 2 years later...

I love kensukes kingdom, but Ive always loved the idea of having my own island and surviving on mother nature and all that shizzle, I used to play it outside with my friends for ages,

kensukes kingdom is the only one I bought, but read the butterfly lion adn the wreck of the zanzibar two years before in class,

can't remember much else, soz.

I've also read Kensukes Kingdom, but not for a while, may have to re-read. I loved it when I read it. Also I've got my own copy of Kensukes Kingdom signed by Micheal Morpurgo himself! :lol:

I have read:

Why the Whales Came

The Butterfly Lion

War Horse

Kensuke's Kingdom

Private Peaceful

I'm pretty sure there's a few more, I just can't remember them at the moment. The Butterfly Lion has always been a favourite of mine, I have loved it ever since we had to read it back in Year 4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've read both Kensuke's Kingdom and Private Peaceful and I loved them but thought that the subjects he chooses to right about are just too depressing for me to read I prefer some to read about some good looking vampires or mystery or even some gruesome, thrilling on the edge mysteries!

Going into another world is why I read books so why depress and write about the travesties of War? However, they are a good read and well written but I suggest if your looking for a enlightening read stay away!

• 4 months later...

Last week I read The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips.

050-2009-Oct-03-TheAmazingStoryofAd.jpg

My daughter likes Michael Morpurgo’s novels (although she's probably a bit old for them) but this is the first of his that I’ve read - I must admit to being drawn to the cover!

When Lily Tregenze and her family have to leave their farm in order for the American troops to use the beach to practise for the invasion, Lily’s beloved cat disappears behind the barbed wire. Lily puts herself in danger searching for him and is eventually aided by a black GI.

This story, which is told retrospectively by Lily to her Grandson, gives a good insight to children of what it was like to be moved from your home (although fictitious, it’s based on the real removal of Slapton’s residents), and also of how the Americans were distrusted by the locals - but weren’t all “over paid, over sexed and over here” which was the popular conception of them!

To an adult, the ending is obvious - I’m not sure it would be to the target audience. I can really see why Morpurgo is such a popular author, and why he was made Childrens’ Laureate a few years ago. I am going to try Kensuke’s Kingdom by him next.

8/10

• 3 weeks later...

Aww, that's sweet of you, Nollaig (and of Diane to offer it!).

My daughter loves MM, although technically she's probably too old for some of the now - but I know we have this one on our bookcase already. I've read a few of them after her and have enjoyed them.

I'd feel better if it went to someone's kid! :friends0: Whoops, the link has disappeared onto the previous page. I'm going to delete it there and bring it onto this page for maximum exposure. If no one takes it in a few days though, I am going to take it as I absolutely loved it as a kid (one of the first books I bought at my primary school book fair!) but I lost it :D

*BUMP*

Just to let you all know in case you didn't notice:

Inver is very kindly giving away a free copy of "The Butterfly Lion" to a good home.

So, if anyone has any kids that might want it, just pop over to this thread and let her know.

I'm only posting this here because no one else besides me has asked for the book, and I'm not exactly a kid.

So go go go! :lol: