Strictly Come Dancing

SueB

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - I don't like the Sunday night show either.

The dance-off was a good spot, and we could see that the condemned couples really tried their best one last time. Actually - it's only fair that they have that chance.

Also the Sunday night show is a blinkin' nuisance! Half an hour - and most of that taken up with other people dancing or singing, or clips of the performances of the celebs. It's like a "filler" - which I admit I've recorded (the last 10 minutes, anyway) and watch later.

Either do it all on one night - or bring back a decent length show on Sundays.

(I still admire our Ann for her spirit, if not her style. Next week - she'll arrive on a skateboard! :D

Edited by Booknutt

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching this. It's the one 'reality' show I do watch, because I'm always impressed by the amount of time and effort the celebs put in. Having said that, I think it's reaching the point this year where some geniunely good dancers (Scott, Kara, Matt, Pamela) are in danger of being ousted because of the Widdecombe factor, and that kind of undermines the whole thing, imo. I know a lot of people regard it as an entertainment show rather than a dance competition, which is fair enough I suppose, and Anton's always good for a laugh, but if I wanted to watch a comedy routine I'd switch over to Dave. It seems to me that Widdecombe's getting very arrogant about the whole thing, too. Still, I suppose the BBC are loving it as the ratings shoot up :rolleyes:

Absolutely cannot believe Jimi went over bloody Ann Widdecombe, she is an absolute joke, and I think it's so unfair that much better dancers are going over her, when all she does is let her partner swing her around like a rag doll. I really don't think I'll keep watching unless she goes soon.

Ironic, that people are now - finally - voting for her when she's given up politics ... :rolleyes:

Just wait for when Brendan or James get booted out while she stays in - they'll have something to say about it all :lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I agree that Anne is awful, but Pickle is right - it's the people who vote for her who should be blamed. When John Sergeant pulled out it was a bit of a smack in the face for all those people who had paid money to vote for him!

I also have a crush on Matt - he's so sweet! :giggle2:

My God, is it actually called that?? lol I heard Jeremy mention it on Top Gear one night and I thought he was making fun of it when he said the title. Sorry if you're a fan, but over here in Oz that title sounds daft :) I gather it's your version of Dancing With The Stars, or something like that?

I think its a combo of Strictly Ballroom and Come Dancing isn't it

Yes, it is. I agree with mummymunt, actually, it is a daft title. Dancing With The Stars makes far more sense. I still blame the Aussies, though :giggle2::wink:

It's not Anne's fault though is it?. She's been asked to appear on the programme and so has as much right to remain as anyone if the viewers vote for her.

I didn't agree that Chris Hollins was the best dancer last year, of course he did a lot more dancing than Anne, but he was miles behind at least five or six other competitors (probably more) but people liked him, and the partnership, and voted for him and ultimately as we're always being told it's about being popular and entertaining.

I think the new format is stupid, not giving the judges a chance to save but then that still would not effect the terminally popular because they rarely find themselves in the bottom two.

Anne can't resign because John was considered an absolute **** for doing so .. even the judges that constantly moaned about him didn't think he did the right thing.

She'll be there for a while longer I should think, but I doubt if it will be at the expense of Matt or Scott .. it maybe at the expense of Kara or Felicity though.

He he he ... loving catching up with everyone's thoughts on my favourite show! :giggle:

My thoughts - I've said it before, but I can't bear Ann. I think Anton has done an incredible job with the comedic routines to keep the public interest in her going, but I agree with what Craig said on It Takes Two last night, that basically she has it in her to improve, but she's being lazy and relying on the comedy elements and antagonising the judges in order to keep the public voting for her. I would have more respect for her if she actually tried to dance (as John Sargeant did) than I do at this moment.

However, I would be even more upset and annoyed by her if she retired from the competition. It is in the rules that the public have 50% of the decision on which couple to eliminate, and if people are voting for her, then she must stay, even if that means my favourite couples are being voted out.

I was surprised that Jimi & Flavia were voted out, because I was convinced that the relationship between the couples and how genuine they seemed in their love of learning to dance usually won votes more than hard work and competitiveness, and I felt they had the best chemistry on the dance floor and the most entertaining couple off the dance floor this year, but I can only imagine people thought they were safe near the top of the leaderboard.

On the subject of the name of the show, it is indeed an amalgamation of the film title "Strictly Ballroom" and "Come Dancing". For non UK member, "Come Dancing" was a show that ran for almost 50 years on the BBC and was a genuine ballroom dancing competition. Some of the professional dancers who now compete on Strictly Come Dancing had previously been seen on the original show. The name is appropriate for the UK, but understandably, it is unlikely to make sense around the world, and "Dancing With The Stars" is more suitable.

Kara and Scott are two of the best dancers I've ever seen on the show. If Widdicombe stays in ahead of either of them I'll start throwing things at the tv :lol:

Sadly, I reckon it might happen :rolleyes:

<<rubs hands>> New tv for Christmas, then!