Mineko Iwasaki - Geisha of Gion

Kell

Geisha of Gion

Author: Mineko Iwasaki

ISBN # 074343059X

Publisher: Pocket Books

First Published: 2002

334 pages

'I want you to know what it is really like to live the life of a geisha, a life filled with extraordinary professional demands and richly glorious rewards. It is a life in which I was a pre-eminent success; many say the best of my generation. And yet, it was a life that I found too constricting to continue. And one that I ultimately had to leave. It is a story that I have long wanted to tell. My name is Mineko.'

Mineko begins with her initiation into the profession she would perfect. Following her blossoming over the years, we learn all about the intricate training and rigid education system by which Japanese girls become geishas, and the extraordinary foundation of wealth upon which their culture rests.

This is quite possibly one of the most intriguing autobiographies I have ever read. Having loved the novel by Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha, I delved into the true story of one of the most successful Gion Geiko of recent history, translated from her own words by Rande Brown without losing any of her own voice. Mineko

Thank you, Sugar. I hope you'll enjoy it - I thought it much better than Memoirs of a Geisha (although I really enjoyed that too) - this felt much more "real" (well, it IS real - LOL!) & honest, & I really felt more drawn into Geisha culture reading this - it really intrigued me.

I was just extolling the virtues of this book to my colleagues yesterday & half of them have also resolved to et a copy for themselves. I'd pass round my own copy to everyone,but I already swapped it out - it was snapped up within 5 minutes of me posting it up at RISI!