Faith and Books

Katrina1968

I'm personally not religious either. Spiritual maybe, in that I believe it's not all down to science, but not religious. Having said that, I have read the Bible, and have the Koran in my TBR pile.

I wouldn't say no to a book that contained content I disagree with if the book was a good one, or reputed to be so. But subjects I tend to avoid where possible are things like abortion.

One very good book I read when I was younger, called the L-Shaped Room, is about the dilemma of a single young girl who gets pregnant. It's set a few decades ago when young single pregnancy was very controversial. Her father wants her to abort, and she is very confused about the whole issue. Despite my misgivings about reading books containing content surrounding abortion, I found this to be a thoroughly good read.

I guess I just try to be as open minded as possible, with religion, literature, and a combination of the two :lol:

Born and raised a catholic, I've become agnostic following two separate crises of faith during my teenage years. I miss having it though, and therefore enjoy reading works of fiction or poetry which explore questions of spirituality, such as Richard Bach's "Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah" and John Milton's "Paradise Lost". The hope is that one day I'll find in one of them a reverberation of truth strong enough to get me believing again.

I do tend to avoid non-fiction on the subject however, as it's often preachy and I've never liked being preached at (back in the days when I still had some faith to speak of, this attitude led my R.E. teacher to brand me as a "Lutheran" - the way he sait it he might as well have said hell-bound devil-spawn).

Oh Roxi, you MUST google him:mrgreen: As far left asYOU are, thats how far RIGHT he is! Glenn is a journalist (use it loosely here) on our Fox network. He's a screaming banshee that has actually had advertisers like Walmart and UPS withdraw advertising from his show because of his hatred of President Obama.

Glenn Beck scares me! I'm probably as far to the left as you can get, and it's honestly nice to hear from a conservative who doesn't like him. We're led to believe, from people like Sarah Palin and Beck himself, that all conservatives worship him. It's nice to know that isn't true. :lol:

I don't think I purposely skip over books with a lot of violence or sex. I don't think my interests lie there so they never end up on my shelves. In the past few years I've been reading more Christian fiction, not because I'm Christian, but because a lot of them are interesting reads. I found an author I liked - Richard Paul Evans - who happens to write Christian fiction (I believe he's Mormon), but he is the only one I actually look for.

But sex and violence...not my cup of tea, maybe I'm a prude.

I just want to say that Glen Beck is a HUGE :friends0:!!!!!!!!!

But his book "The Christmas Sweater" is very sweet. Almost as if it was written by someone else!!

Edited by Echo
double post