Faith and Books

Katrina1968

Do you find that your religion or beliefs (if you practice a particular religion) influences what your reading?

I'm a Christian so for me certain books dont make it to my bookshelf. For instance, books whose only plot is sex or books that promote certain lifestyles, I just dont read. Personal choice. There are books that I do read that other Christians will flat out say is wrong. Oh well...

This question is just a question. You dont have to name a particular book or even your particular religion. I just want to know if your beliefs influence the types of books you read.

Please no pondits on why someone should or shouldnt read something, This is just a getting to know fellow readers question:readingtwo:

Edited by Katrina1968

Another great topic Katrina :lol:

You know I have never put that much thought into it, I know that sounds so empty headed, I am a catholic and I do tend to avoid books that have abortion in them (I don't believe in it but I would not judge anyone ever about it), I find the subject upsetting.

I am not overly religion, I have my faith but it is one subject I tend to avoid is the one I mentioned.

Edit ~ But saying that (sorry everyone), if it was a good story and it was part of the story, I would read it, as peacefield said, its just a mad up story, sorry everyone, I am so indecisive sometimes :lol:

Edited by Weave

***I just want to state clearly that this thread is NOT going to be allowed to devolve into a debate over religion. We have a thread for that in the debating room. If this thread gets off topic, it will be shut down.

Having said that, I'm not religious, and in fact I have a distaste for organized religion, so I tend to avoid books with religious themes. But I've found that if it's far enough removed from my own experience, either by time (like historical fiction) or by religion (like if it's not focused on Christianity), then I'm OK. But the second a book gets too preachy, I drop it.

Also, even if the book is not religious, but the author's religion or viewpoint comes through too strongly in a nasty way, I won't read it. For example, if the author is racist, homophobic, or anti-Semetic, there's no way I'll read anything of theirs.

Edited by Echo

I'm a nonbeliever myself and would probably not read Christian fiction but I don't mind reading non-fiction books on religions, I've studied cultural anthropology in uni and have had to read books on various different religions and it's been quite fascinating.

I think my atheist, empiricist skepticism makes it generally hard for me to read books with miracles or god or heaven in them, with angels or ghosts in, with the supernatural or magic in them. I tend to like books where things I understand happen, and this comes probably from my broad position on religion/faith/supernatural, etc.

That's not to say that I can't read and enjoy books with some mystical elements in them, it's just that it's a substantial barrier for me to get past in my enjoyment of a book.

Religion, on the other hand, is fascinating, and novels that deal with religious elements without actually having any mystical-action, tend to be things I enjoy.

I was brought up a Christian and attended church regularly until a few years ago - but I wouldn't let my beliefs (or lack of them, these days) impact on my reading choices.

If it's a good story, I'll read it.

I do get turned-off by an overtly preachy tone. I tried reading The Shack to see if it might help me re-find my faith, as it was touted as a faith affirming book both by the local churches and the local Christian bookshop but it certainly didn't have that effect on me at all and I just found the 'message' highly irritating.

My non-belief doesn't impact on my reading, not reading religion or spiritual texts is the same to me as not reading chick lit - it's just not my thing.

I also read The Shack, Janet, and I enjoyed it to an extent, even though the ridiculous promotion scheme around it killed any credibility it might have had.

My non-belief doesn't impact on my reading, not reading religion or spiritual texts is the same to me as not reading chick lit - it's just not my thing.

Yeah, not my thing either. :lol:

I was more meaning that although I was brought up with religion, and some things stick I wouldn't avoid a book with any topic just because it might not fit with that religious ethic. I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well but I know what I mean! :lol:

Edited by Janet
Added some!

I think my atheist, empiricist skepticism makes it generally hard for me to read books with miracles or god or heaven in them, with angels or ghosts in, with the supernatural or magic in them. I tend to like books where things I understand happen, and this comes probably from my broad position on religion/faith/supernatural, etc.

My words exactly. Although I'd add libertarian to the list, in place of atheist.

Religion, on the other hand, is fascinating, and novels that deal with religious elements without actually having any mystical-action, tend to be things I enjoy.

From a purely socio-cultural point of view, absolutely!

I do get turned-off by an overtly preachy tone.

Oh yes! Or people (that is to say, characters) who go all "it's up to God" (whatever that god happens to be). They tend to be nondescript, boring, and incapable of taking any action themselves. To exaggerate a little.

Brilliant topic Katrina, and one that is quite close to me, as author of what some would describe a religious book (I prefer the term spiritual, but many people do not appear to know the difference). It was revieved by one magazine as the opposite to The God Delusion, which I don't entirely agree with, but it helped sales!

Enough of my own sales pitch though. While I do like to read and think it is very important to read and understand others beleifs, I would be lying if I said my own beliefs did not influence my reading. As part of the research for my own book I attended an Alpha course and read some of Nicky Gumbel's books, which I found quite offensive in places (even our local Rector described him as a fundamentalist), and the experience has put me off reading books by other Christian authors, or endorsed in any way by Alpha.

If I had to describe my own views I would use the term Gnostic, which from what I gathered from my own research is pretty close to modern spirituality anyway. I am a particular fan of Tim Freke and Peter Gandy, who have written two excellent books, Jesus and the Goddess and The Jesus Mysteries, and have been priviliged to meet Tim on a number of occasions. I am also a huge fan of the Conversations with God books, A Course in Miracles and the works of Eckhart Tolle, all of whom espouse a more gentle form of spirituality, and whom suggest that religion itself is not the problem, but it is more to do with what we believe about religion, and our views of God wants. Neale Donald Walsch has a book by the very same name (What God Wants) where the answer to that question is a blank page. I am probably though digressing, as this is meant to be a discussion on books.

I try to keep an open mind and consider myself to be fairly well read on these matters. Even so, the fundamentalist books get a very wide berth from me. What is my defiinition of fundamentalist - the dictionary says "A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism". That pretty much sums it up.

This is a good topic, Katrina. :lol:

I have a great variety of novels on many different subjects - some less Christian-like than others - but I've never felt that any book I've read has led me to doubting my faith or influenced me in any negative way. I'm a very curious person and I've rather live out that side of me through books and imagination than actually doing things that would be against my beliefs and morals.

Tis a very good thread in fairness, and I'm glad everyone is being mature about the discussion.

I must say that even though I'm not religious, I also don't read anti-religion books. Obvious example: The God Delusion. I don't just avoid religious or spiritual fiction/non-fiction, I avoid anything supporting the other side of the argument either. To me religion is redundant either way, and I don't feel the need to read about either side.

And as a Christian, I stay away from books written by authors such as Glenn Beck and others who are raving lunatics. I personally do not believe they are benefiting the Chrisitian community but spreading hate and division.

Now, I'm going to go so far as to say I'm a conservative, but please understand, that not all conservatives are radicals, narrow and of the same elk as the formentioned!

I refuse to spend hard earned money on things that pollutes my eyes.

I don't even know who Glenn Beck is! :lol: Anything related to such areas just doesn't even register on my mental scale if that makes sense.

I don't like using political terms, but if I were anything, I'd be so far liberal I'd be off the edge of the spectrum. I don't like things that try to shock, but I'm happy to read things that push boundaries without being gratuitous.

Oh Roxi, you MUST google him:mrgreen: As far left asYOU are, thats how far RIGHT he is! Glenn is a journalist (use it loosely here) on our Fox network. He's a screaming banshee that has actually had advertisers like Walmart and UPS withdraw advertising from his show because of his hatred of President Obama.