Reading and Television

Katrina1968

I tend to need complete silence. If something else is on in the background, I usually can't picture characters/events because I find it hard to concentrate. I can usually block out other people though, meaning I can read in a crowded room or on a bus. But for some reason, not with the tv or music. :lol:

I honestly cant remember the last time I read in complete silence. There is ALWAYS somone home and they ALWAYS have something on and with my grandwobbler constantly on the prowl, I have learned (long ago) how to read with all the noise, or else I'd never read.

It doesn't matter what background noise there is, I still get completely caught up in whatever book I'm reading! My mum often says that a bomb could go off and I wouldn't realise if I had my head in a book :lol:

I used to be able to read with a lot of noise but I find that I need a quieter environment these days. Thankfully my trains are usually full of sleeping/reading commuters, so it's nice and quiet. I'm easily distracted by the TV though.

I am quite lucky that I can read with the television/music on, I grew up in a very noisy household (my brothers, my sister, their friends and so on..), so it does not bother me although sometimes I do need a bit of silence, most of the time when our television is on, its just background noise. :lol:

I regularly wake up with my glasses still on and a book clutched in my hand :lol:

Me too ScarletBella!, my husband fall me asleep last week with my glasses on and my book over my face! :lol:

Glad I'm not the only one :lol: Have you ever had the print rub off on your face? That's happened to me a time or three :lol:

It probably has and knowing me, I have not noticed and went to work with text over my face :lol:

I need silence when I read. I live by myself so that is not normally a problem. I like to read before bed. It is a time when I am comfortable and feel settled. It is a quite time and a perfect time for me to read. If I do read in front of the TV it has to be on mute.

I don't need silence, but I can't read while the television is on and I can hear it, so I tend to put earphones in and listen to some music to drown out the television and concentrate on my book. I can read anywhere and everywhere using this method, so I'll read at my desk during my lunchbreak, in the car while waiting to pick up someone, in a cafe or coffee shop (my favourite reading place!) or anywhere else I might find myself with 5 minutes to spare.

The only thing is, the music must be either instrumental (e.g. classical or jazz) or the singing must be in a foreign language (e.g. flamenco or latin)