Terry Brooks - Shannara/Landover

Vanwa

I have just started a reread through the Shannara series, halfway through The Elfstones of Shannara at the moment.

Even though I've read it countless times, I'm finding myself just as rivetted as the first time.

I can't see a thread on him in here, and wondered if anyone else has an opinion to express on Brooks and his stories, or would like to discuss them :blush:

I have only read one of his books so far, 'The Sword of Shannara' and have 'The Elfstones' ready to read. I read the first few pages of elfstones and it sounds great, more gripping than the sword, but I will have to see.

Have you got a favourite Brooks book?

I have seen the Landover books and they are on my wishlist, they look like fun reads. :blush:

I have The Sword of Shannara on my TBR pile (I picked up a copy after Death Ray magazine did an article on him a year or so back, but haven't got around to reading it yet).

My sister and a friend at work have both given it favourable reviews, so I will read it at some point!

Chrysalis_stage - I've read everything Terry has written in his lifetime, including shorts and non-fiction. Elfstones is the best he has to offer, and he is a genius :blush:. He's even admitted it's his own favourite piece as he worked harder on that than anything else he has done in his life. You'll love it if you enjoyed Sword. As for Landover, I have them all and love them. The one thing to bear in mind with them is that they have a slightly more childish approach, almost as if they are intended for a younger generation than Shannara. However, they are still just as magical :P

Raven - move it to the top of the pile, it's fantastic!!! Then pick up Elfstones. By the time you've read Elfstones you'll probably be a fan :motz:

Blithe - If you've read that far have you read the Genesis of Shannara trilogy yet? It's a whole new take.

Haha sorry Raven. But it is a really good read. I love Trudi Canavan myself, but Brooks is in a whole different league. Even his own league I think!

Besides, think of it this way, if you read Sword and hate it, then you lose a bit of time you could have spent better elsewhere (and you can have the pleasure of telling me I'm wrong). But if you love it, you'll have found another 19 novels to look forward to reading, not including his graphic novel or the short on Shannara. Because so far that's what Shannara is, 20 novels, a graphic novel, and a short.

Chrysalis, I'm glad to hear it! Let me know what you think when you get to it :blush:

Blithe - If you've read that far have you read the Genesis of Shannara trilogy yet? It's a whole new take.

No I haven't - the Heritage Series were the last Shannara books I read. My boyfriend recently bought The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara - Ilse Witch, so I might read that when he's finished with it. If I like it, I'll continue on to the other series.:lol:

The Sword of Shannara was my 1st real foray into fantasy 20+ years ago,and I've enjoyed and read all Brooks' series except Landover which didn't appeal to me,maybe I should try it now! I've still got The Elves Of Cintra & The Gypsy Morph waiting patiently on my bookcase from his last Shannara series,a prequel trilogy. There were rumours the original Shannera series was being filmed but starting with The Elfstones. Allanon deserves to to be on screen! Tom Baker would've been perfect 15 yrs ago!:lol:

I've read;

Shannara

1. The Sword of Shannara (1977)

2. The Elfstones of Shannara (1982)

3. The Wishsong of Shannara (1985)

By Terry Brooks.. and admittedly it was a long time ago, but I can still remember that I enjoyed them immensely. I think practically everyone I know has given them good reviews!

I read the Landover books years ago - they were good, not too serious but enough for me to want to reread them every now and then. I started reading the Shannara books but I've lost track of where I got to as I've lost my book journals that cover anything before 2005 :lol:

Sorry for doublepost, but thought I should add something constructive to that!

It's set in modern day times, with televisions and the internet and alsorts. The three Genesis books lead to the times of Shannara. Yes, for those who don't know

Shannara is the future of planet earth. We lose all of our technology and knowledge in a major nuclear war, and go back to where we started, primitive beings (sadly without fabulous authors such as Terry Brooks

It's actually very cleverly done. When I first picked Genesis up it was with trepidation, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Modern style fantasy with a twist.

It's set in modern day times, with televisions and the internet and alsorts. The three Genesis books lead to the times of Shannara. Yes, for those who don't know

Shannara is the future of planet earth. We lose all of our technology and knowledge in a major nuclear war, and go back to where we started, primitive beings (sadly without fabulous authors such as Terry Brooks

It's actually very cleverly done. When I first picked Genesis up it was with trepidation, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Modern style fantasy with a twist.

I had no idea they were set in modern times. I'm even more tempted to have a look now.:D

I had no idea they were set in modern times. I'm even more tempted to have a look now.:D

Actually it's hinted at through the Sword/Elfstones/Wishsong books, Allanon mentions several times that prior to Jerle Shannara's time, the world had amazing technology, and destroyed themselves with a war using that technology.

And just just in case you fancy knowing (DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW, GENUINE SPOILER)

Cogline, who we meet in Wishsong, and who we later discover to be a druid, has uncovered some of the knowledge, and that's what his powders are. Gunpowder in its early stages

• 4 months later...

I've read The Gypsy Morph over the new years holidays. That means I've finished the Genesis trilogy. I enjoyed it. I have not read all the Shanarra books but of those that I did read I noticed that these books were set in postapocalytic times from several hints mentioned.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have read several of the earlier Shannara novels however got stuck with the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara - The Ilse Witch. I just didn't like it.

Now I would like to read The Genesis of Shannara and the High Druid of Shannara books but want to know whether I won't understand them because of skipping the Voyage books.

Anyone know whether they will still make sense.

Also I read the earlier 7 or so books at least 10 years ago.

Now I would like to read The Genesis of Shannara and the High Druid of Shannara books but want to know whether I won't understand them because of skipping the Voyage books.

Anyone know whether they will still make sense.

Genesis is almost a different series altogether, because it is set in our world as it exists today, and explains how Shannara comes to be our future. So these will make sense.

Additionally, each and every title in the Shannara series (barring Genesis) can be read as an individual. You may have noticed previously that each of the books you have read has a different story line, and is focussed around different protagonists from the same family, different generations. For example, with the Heritage books (Scions/ High Druid/ Elf-Queen/ Talismans) you don't even need to have read Sword.

Hope that helps.