Beneath the Bleeding by Val McDermid

Maureen

ISBN -13 : 978-0-00-724328-0

Published in Great Britian by Harper Collins

This is from the Tony Hill Series:

The story is set in Bradfield, where the first victim, a star football player Robbie Bishop is in hospital, having an attack of what appears to be a serious chest infection. His doctors are puzzled when he does not respond to treatment - until they found out his has been poisoned. To complicate matters, a bomb goes off in the football stadium, and the body count is rising. What is the connection between the two? Is there one? DCI Jordan and Dr Tony Hill have had better times together....

Recommended :blush:

This is certainly the genre that I fall back to, a fast paced thriller, which keeps you guessing until the last pages. The Tony Hill Series is the one which I prefer of Val McDermid's books - and I think this is a great example. There are lots of sub-plots going on, the strange relationship between Carol and Tony (I do wish they'd give it a try! :blush: ) a possible act of terrorism in the aftermath of 9/11, (today is the 8th anniversary, may they rest in peace), greed, beauty and money. One of the murder weapons is certainly different - poison. ( It has been a while since I read a book where poison was used as a weapon.) A selection of motives which Val McDermid brought together into a whopping good read. I also loved that we got to know a little bit more of Tony's secret past -

his abusive childhood, his hateful mother and even a glimpse of his father

Edited by Maureen
typo :)

This is certainly the genre that I fall back to, a fast paced thriller, which keeps you guessing until the last pages. The Tony Hill Series is the one which I prefer of Val McDermit's books - and I think this is a great example. There are lots of sub-plots going on, the strange relationship between Carol and Tony (I do wish they'd give it a try! :blush: ) a possible act of terrorism in the aftermath of 9/11, (today is the 8th anniversary, may they rest in peace), greed, beauty and money. One of the murder weapons is certainly different - poison. ( It has been a while since I read a book where poison was used as a weapon.) A selection of motives which Val McDermit brought together into a whopping good read. I also loved that we got to know a little bit more of Tony's secret past]

I found this book good even though I was a littel worried that I would not like the crimes. I was a bit worried about the 'terrorism' issue being brought up and the stereotype of the Islamic community. But I was really surprised. It is nothing like I thought and I loved the twists and turns. Like always with McDermid it is fast paced and easy dialogue. Even the last paragraph is making you want more. I can't wait to read the next one that came out this week.

If you are a fan of Slaughter and Patterson then it is a recommended read. There is no necessity to read the previous Hill books, but I would recommend it so you can understand the complex relationship between Hill and Carol.

I was a bit worried about the 'terrorism' issue being brought up and the stereotype of the Islamic community. But I was really surprised. It is nothing like I thought and I loved the twists and turns. Like always with McDermid it is fast paced and easy dialogue. Even the last paragraph is making you want more. I can't wait to read the next one that came out this week.

If you are a fan of Slaughter and Patterson then it is a recommended read. There is no necessity to read the previous Hill books, but I would recommend it so you can understand the complex relationship between Hill and Carol.

Couldn't have put it better myself CW! :lol:

Mcdermid is a brilliant writer, skilled at writing a thrilling page turner that comes together with the rest of the series to draw compelling a relationship arc in the continuing bond between Tony and Carol.

I will always recommend her books, both her series and her stand alones. They are just perfectly rendered pieces of writing.

Couldn't have put it better myself CW! :lol:

Mcdermid is a brilliant writer, skilled at writing a thrilling page turner that comes together with the rest of the series to draw compelling a relationship arc in the continuing bond between Tony and Carol.

I will always recommend her books, both her series and her stand alones. They are just perfectly rendered pieces of writing.

You review far better than me Chrissy. I agree, there are not many relationships/ partnerships that stand the test of time.

• 3 months later...

Val McDermid is a favorite of mine. I never know how the book is going to end before the end because she always has a few plot twists. I love reading the Tony Hill series the most though because I love the characters of Tony and Carol. I have read most of her other books to and they are just as good!