Comfort Reads

Katrina1968

Do you find that you read certain types of books based on the season? I always hunker down when it gets cool/cold. Good excuse to have the fireplace on and a pot of tea going!

During the autumn and winter I find myself searching for epics and "cozy" reads. I've got about 10 books set aside right now that I'm itching to crack open (actually have!)

An Irish Country Christmas (Patrick Taylor)

Julie on Julia

English Country Manor Murders

A Walk In The Woods

Confessions Of A Shopaholic

The Mitford Series books by Jan Karon (5)

Thats just a start.

I should be getting into my "murder and mayhem"-mood now- I usually do when it's autumn. But this last year has been exceptional in that I have read all kinds of books all year round, and also I've started to read a lot of fantasy all year round. It used to be that I read fantasy and ghost stories in midwinter. I'm developing a new pattern I suppose- but being a person who is deeply affected by the season's changes I have no doubt I will see the new pattern in a couple of years.

Certainly as the nights start to draw in you will find me with a hot drink, my feet up with a foot blanket and back to reading Sherlock Holmes. He is the best medicine for a cold, chilly evening.:D

Summer is different. You'll find me sitting outside with a good book evoking lovely open countryside, like H E Bates - especially The Darlin' Buds of May series. Perfick:D

(I suppose I ought to add that I do read other books in the meantime;)).

I tend towards lighter, less literary books in the summer months and look to more "substantial" books as the dark nights draw in. That's bot to say I don't read any fluff in the winter and heavier, harder-hitting stuff int he summer, it's just that the majority of them tend to land that way. Although, what with running around after an increasingly mobile Xander, I'm not getting nearly as much reading time as I used to get, especially as I took back up wth my cross stitching this year too! I tend to read in the bath (when I get the chance to have a good soak, which is a couple of times a week) and a little in bed immediately before going to sleep at night.

I always tend to go for sci fi and fantasy in the summer and I find myself reaching for Plath's collected works in the winter. I have no idea why but I always have a hankering to read her poetry when it is chilly and miserable outside... and I love her :D

I am getting my 'horror' mood on now in time for winter :blush::D

Anything easy and/or light-hearted is comfort reading for me, so chick-lit, most YA books and books like Agatha Raisin are the sorts of things I'll turn to when I want cheering up. However, I've never noticed any seasonal variations in my reading, it's usually just based on how rubbish my day/week/month has been.

I just read whatever I want, whenever I want. But in the fall, which is my favorite season, I always read Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist, mainly because it's wonderfully creepy and has an amazing climax which takes place on Halloween night. I highly recommend it!

I've also found that fall and winter are good times to read books like Wuthering Heights (all that snow), The Lord of the Rings (perfect for stormy nights under a blanket), and anything else that is scary, epic, or takes place in the snow.

Isn't it kinda weird, though, that so many people find murder mysteries comforting?

The reading group I go to is made up of all older women (certainly over 50, most over 60) except me. They all prefer to read crime novels as their "comfort" or less challenging reading in between their more literary novels. My preference is for chick-lit as my lighter reading, and personally, I can't see the appeal of the crime, murder, mystery type of book. Whenever a crime book comes up in the book list for the reading group, they all rave about it, or if it's not a good one, they'll come up with a million other crime books or authors everyone should read instead. I just sit there gaping open mouthed at them, wondering how these sweet, lovely mothers and grandmothers can sit and read about mutilated bodies and psychopathic serial killers with such glee? And yet, not one of them has been able to explain to me why they like reading these books so much.

LOL! See, I'm the opposite. I love murder mysteries and horror, but I can't stand chick-lit. I don't understand why people like it, especially intelligent people. I guess it's just all a matter of taste! :blush:

It is strange how some people seem to be polarised into either chick-lit/romance or crime/mystery/horror! I'll bet there's some research out there about it somewhere, claiming it defines what personality type we are, or which part of our brain dictates why we would prefer one over the other :blush:

Chesilbeach- how about those who read both chick-lit/romance and crime/mystery/horror? (And everything else, for that matter). Come to think of it, I know what it says about my personality- hopeless book-addict! :blush:

I did say "some" people :motz: I know there are people who read both, but I do find it odd than in a group of usually 12-15 people at my book club, and amongst most of my friends, most of us would choose, as our comfort reading books, either chick-lit or crime, but not both.

I too am a hopeless book-addict, just not generally crime/horror/murder type book :P

LOL! See, I'm the opposite. I love murder mysteries and horror, but I can't stand chick-lit. I don't understand why people like it, especially intelligent people. I guess it's just all a matter of taste! :blush:

Yeah with you on this one. I understand that the majority of chick-lit readers can't really handle anything more mentally taxing than these books (and Heat/Grazia magazine) and probably just enjoy having their nails done and spraying themselves orange. But having asked some 'intelligent' women who read it what the appeal is they simply say it's fun and undemanding...You can't argue with that even though most of it is a waste of trees:lol: