Where is the Strangest place you have read?

catwoman

i've read in a closet.
This just triggered the memory of my strangest place - I knew there was one!

I was interrailing (interrail: special train ticket giving the young traveller access to all trains within a certain country or countries) across Spain with two mates and, a couple of days in, I found myself at Madrid train station minus my ticket. Though the ticket is registered on a database with your name on it, it is non-replaceable in case of loss, as I discovered dispite many tears and prayers. Replacing it was unthinkable (300 euros, as I recall, aka all my food money), so I pretty much spent the next two weeks as a stowaway in train toilets in various states of disrepair, all of which air-conditioned me within an inch of my life.

On the longest of those journeys (8 hours, count them, 8), I sat in the locked, rattling toilet of the day and nursed my nerves with Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter"* (which, incidentally, I adored).

*Needless to say, it took me a few years to find that image even remotely amusing.

Just the usual, I'm afraid. Let's see... well, a helicopter would be unusual, but not strange. I once sat cross-legged on top of a hockey goal (it was off the ice) and read Coelho while waiting for BF. Is that strange?

Yes. :irked:

*laughs* Okay. I didn't find that strange, as I'm used to hanging out around the rink. And as BF plays hockey, that was a very natural place to be, and to wait for him. On top of it all, there weren't that many places to sit in, so I hopped on the goal. Perfectly logical, no? *laughs*

At my younger sis's graduation ceremony. As soon as she had passed by on the stage my nephew and I simultaneously took out books and began to read much to the amusement of the rest of the audience:readingtwo: Well we found the speeches boring and I had to read a book for an essay assignment for my uni course which was due the next day.

• 2 months later...

I was in a math class, and was so wrapped up in my book (sitting in the back of the room with my math book in front of it) and the teacher picked the book up out of my hands. He was laughing really hard--then I noticed the bell had rang and everyone else had left, but I never noticed!