Which Series to Start?

Makavelli1988

i have just graduated, and due to the current job market, will be having a lot of free time. To stop me from going crazy, i have list of fantasy novels i want to start. I only really want to start one of these. Titles are:

-Song of Ice and Fire saga by George R.R Martin

- The Cold Fire Trilogy (C. S. Friedman)

- Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson)

- The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie)

-The Farseer Trilogy (Robin Hobb)

- Abhorsen Trilogy (Garth Nix)

My question is, which series should i start?

to help your recommendation, here is some info

i have read other fantasy series like LOTR, which i like a lot. But the problem is, after reading that, i really dont want to read another clone. so a whole series about a quest to save the world isnt too appealing.

Also have read the Harry Potter series. They were ok, not really as impressive as people make them to be. Main gripe was that the good and bad sides were divided. an angel of a kid on one side, and Hitler on the other. i usually like darker, more greyer heros/villains. I find that in most movies i side with the villains more than the heroes (lol i know, issues).

Other books i read include the Bartimaeus Trilogy, which was interesting, but a little childish in the end. Same with Artemis Fowl, interesting, but way too childish (and i had this opinion when i was 14).

Sorry for the long essay, and i appreciate any comments or recommendations. Would love if people want to add series not on the list

The only one I've read is "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant", which I wouldn't want to recommend to my worst enemy - tedious and starring the most selfish, ungrateful, whining, self-pitying main character to ever grace the pages of a work of fantasy.

I too appreciate shades of gray in my heroes, but Thomas "The Unbeliever" Covenant is just too much of a moping, dislikeable little twerp. I read all the book in the series about a decade ago, sure that he'd have an epiphany somewhere down the line and start being a huseful human (if fictional) human being. I was wrong; I wish I hadn't wasted my time.

I haven't read "Coldfire", although I must admit that a pretty reliable reviewer from this forum has succeeded in making me add it to my wishlist - it sounds fantastic; personally I'd start there without a doubt, although admittedly "The First Law" might suit your dark requirements even more...

Hi Makavelli1988

Can I direct your (and everyone else's) attention to another thread, which is very similar and has a more extensive list, rather than having two similar threads? You can read all our responses to various titles in this thread and yes, I would recommend Coldfire as well.

The thread is here.

I've read and enjoyed - The First Law Trilogy (Joe Abercrombie). I did find the first one hard to get into but one rainy day was all it took. I think the characters are well written and are not the carbon copy of most fantasy heros/ villains. I was sorry when it all ended and can't wait to start his new book Best served cold.