The last DVD you watched? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! May I ask what you all thought of it? I've not yet seen it and not sure whether to bother or not. I wasn't too convinced by the trailer.

A film version could not have contained all the depth and nuance of the book, and so I wasn't expecting that. I felt that something was lost in the translation, mainly because the book is so textured and the act of transfering it to screen obviously meant some layers were lost. Clare's passionate side was somewhat muted, and she was depicted as a little too mumsy for my taste, where I had always seen her as a fiery but grounded person.

The two main actors were well cast as Jessi rightly says, and the film focused mostly on the love aspects rather than the intricacies of Henry's 'condition', but a choice well made I felt. It's a film about a complex relationship with feelings over action, but I think worth a viewing.

The one when they go on holiday is still my favourite episode. :(

Oh yeah :roll: they spent the whole 2 weeks travelling there and then when they get back a book store has opened next door :)

Simon Pegg was excellent as the manager of that store

A film version could not have contained all the depth and nuance of the book, and so I wasn't expecting that. I felt that something was lost in the translation, mainly because the book is so textured and the act of transfering it to screen obviously meant some layers were lost. Clare's passionate side was somewhat muted, and she was depicted as a little too mumsy for my taste, where I had always seen her as a fiery but grounded person.

The two main actors were well cast as Jessi rightly says, and the film focused mostly on the love aspects rather than the intricacies of Henry's 'condition', but a choice well made I felt. It's a film about a complex relationship with feelings over action, but I think worth a viewing.

Thanks, Chrissy. Yeah it is one of those that I imagine is difficult to translate to the screen. The trailer made it look like a generic rom-com (well, not so much the com), I guess this was in a bid to draw in a wider audience. I'm glad they got the leads right too. I'll watch it soon :roll:

Do you have it on DVD? I keep seeing it about and meaning to pick it up!

Yeah I bought it from HMV as my BF bought the other Season 1&2 so it was my turn :blush:

It's brilliant. I hope they carry on after the death of Henry VIII to show Edward, Mary and Elizabeth on the throne too :lol: