What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

Aw man this book just made me tear up, it's funny how small things can really get to you. This is from Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay, don't read it if you haven't read the book. It's not massively important, but it is a spoiler.

Jim Cutter has just left his wife for a few stays to stay in a motel because he found out she cheated, and his son Derek, 7 at the time, phones him at work after a couple days saying, "I cleaned up my room Daddy, now will you come home?" Anything like that to do with kids caught in the crossfire of parental issues always hits home with me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While away I finished Jonathan Nasaw's '27 Bones'. It was creepy and disturbing but brilliantly described and a real "I must know what happens next!"

I also managed to to squeeze in a visit to Barter Books, Alnwick - one of the biggest second hand book shops in the country. It's sited in an old railway station, with a miniature railway running above the book shelves! :blush:

We were only able to be there a little while, so I only managed to buy one book, Linda Fairstein's 'Killer Heat'. I am a Linda Fairstein fan, and enjoy reading her Alexandra Cooper series, so I am looking forward to this.

- The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard (because the author's unusual name caught my attention and then I liked the sound of it when I read the synopsis).

It's a brilliant book, which I read recently, and which I am sure you will love.

I spent some time relaxing in the garden after work this afternoon, and read a few more chapters of Laxdaela Saga. The story is reaching its conclusion, as the heroine has just married her fourth husband and almosr everyone has been avenged ! Not sure what I will read next - will have to check the bookshelves.

Wish someone would get me a Waterstones gift card !

- The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam by Lauren Liebenberg (which is shortlisted for the Orange prize for new writers)

- The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe (because I'm very interested in the Salem witch trials)

- The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard (because the author's unusual name caught my attention and then I liked the sound of it when I read the synopsis)

- Mr Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange (because I've been on a bit of a Pride and Prejudice parody/sequel bent lately and couldn't resist it!)

The Library Of Shadows is great, loved it when I read it back in June but worried about how the film version will turn out. Hopefully more of Birkegaard's work will be translated if/when he writes anything else.

Just bought Mr Darcy, Vampyre too but not started it yet - must bump it up the pile :lol:

I have finished Ghostwalk! A bit of a struggle for me, but I think I liked it. I need to sort out my thoughts before posting them. I'm glad I read it though.

I stopped at Half Price Books tonight after dinner and was excited to find a $2 advanced reader's copy of The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. I've had this on my wishlist for awhile so I was excited to find it so cheap! Still no idea on what I'll read next though now that I'm done with Ghostwalk...

Kell, I'm so excited you got The Lost Book of Salem! I hope you like it and you'll have to let us know what you think. I love reading about that time period too :lol:.

Finally had the time to finish Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay and I am now starting to read 'Dead Witch Walking' by Kim Harrison. It has been given a good review by Kelley Armstrong and was a ibrarian's top pick of the month so I thought I would give it a go. I don't normally give things like this a go, but since being on this Forum and hearing the good reviews about these books, I thought I would have a try.

Also picked up some reservations at the library including 1st to Die by James Patterson, and a copy of Twilight. I have had enough of not being able to have a view on the debate so thought I would give it a shot. I still have The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to read from the library and of course all my TBR pile. Which I bought more books for yesterday including a couple Deaver books.

I hope everyone's mojos are intact and enjoying the books you are reading.

CW.

Edited by catwoman

Started A Whispered Name by William Brodrick which flits between the WW1 trenches and the present day. Lined up Under The Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy to read next,but that don't mean nothing! :lol::lol:

I finished All Together Dead by Charlaine Harris last night, I don't know what to think of it. Not my favorite but not the worst either. I can't decided what to read next. I tried reading Ann Rule's true crime novel Green River, Running Red but I couldn't get into it. I don't feel like reading another Sookie story again, but then again I don't know what else to read.

Dammit! I went into Waterstone's (like a fool), and had to, had to buy Iain Banks' new book Transition. It's like a compulsion! This means I'll have to read this straight after I've read Grave Sight. Or, should I read the other two Charlaine Harris books immediately and post them on to the next person in the book ring?

Probably the latter...