TBR - Am I the only one?

honestfi

I'm the same. My TBR pile currently stands at around 450. That's 450 actual books that I have on my shelves. I have a wishlist that formally includes a couple of dozen books, but there are dozens more that I keep stored in my memory, which isn't a good idea with a memory like mine, I'm afraid!

That is a serious load of books Kylie - I hope mine is at least one of them. You know I'm joking right - all this esoteric stuff isn't everyone's thing :D

My TBR pile is relatively small at the moment - around 3 books which were bought at my last trip to Waterstones and which I am yet to read. My TBR pile changes though, as I often re-read or intend to re-read books. At the moment because I am starting to think about saving to go to Iceland next year,. I am re-reading some of my Icelandic sagas. Fascinating stuff, full of blood ties and feuds with limbs and heads flying through the air !

Any excess books I buy go into the bookcase and I pick them out as and when the mood takes me.

I can't bear the thought of having no new books to read in my bookcase though...I'd get withdrawal symptoms and have to rush off to the nearest bookshop or charity shop.

I have a notebook in which I write down books I would like to read in the future. It's color coded, a different color for the books I already own and for the ones I need to buy. It's definitely a TBR list but it's also not what I always use to choose the next book I'm reading. Sometimes I'll get something from the library that's not on my list.

I have put together my TBR list to help me keep track of what books i have bought, what books i want, and to stop me trying to read (and buy) every single book that's recommended on here. There are so many good books!

I never used to have a TBR list. But then i never belonged to a book club and now i want to discuss and try out the recommendations i see on here (within reason!) with fellow members. So i started writing them down and found i had scribbles all over my house on little pieces of paper. Then i put them all in one place on the computer and the list just started getting bigger and bigger. That's why, now i have a TBR list put together on here. I can finish the list i have put together and then make another when i've finished. Thus it stops me from going a bit to crazy and spending all my money on book after book, and then going to the liabary and getting loads out. I can just try to finish my own list in my own time.

Holey moley! can I come for a visit? I would love to spend some quality time with a collection like that!:)

Sure! And I hope you would think it is a quality collection :motz: I, of course, think it is! :lol:

That is a serious load of books Kylie - I hope mine is at least one of them. You know I'm joking right - all this esoteric stuff isn't everyone's thing :)

Actually, it is my thing. :D Or at least, it was in the past. I don't seem to have much time for this particular genre anymore (too many fiction books to get through), but your book still interests me!

I don't see the OP's problem with tbr piles. Surely if you're going to read (for example) 50 books in a year, does it matter if it's books you've had on a pile for some time, or books you've been lucky enough to have for free, or books you've just gone out and bought?

I'm the same. My TBR pile currently stands at around 450. That's 450 actual books that I have on my shelves. I have a wishlist that formally includes a couple of dozen books, but there are dozens more that I keep stored in my memory, which isn't a good idea with a memory like mine, I'm afraid!

I've got over 700 books at home, which I have yet to read! And about as many again that I've already read and can't bear to part with.

Ditto - and I have a large one of those! :D

I also have a wishlist, kept on Amazon. It has so, so, so many items on it - I'll never manage to buy/read them all, but it helps me keep track of things I come across and like the sound of. I do occasionally go though it and then specifically buy items - and I also find things I've bought, forgetting they were on my wishlist, and delete them!!

I dont have a TBR list as such but if someone talks about a book they have read I do generally either borrow it or buy it to read later on.........the problem with me like Janet is that I have so many books and so little space for them :D:lol:

To me the TBR is a physical shelf/pile/wall of books that you have picked up along the way and plan on / hope to read at some stage.

Same here. Some books are recommendations, others are books I've wanted to read for a while but need to be in the mood for and there are also books that I've been given :D I think there's about 50 books on my TBR pile and some have been there for years....I may never read them! I don't feel tied to it though and will often purchase spur of the moment books, usually following a recommendation from you lovely folks :lol:

I've got a wishlist of books that I'd like to buy and I check out charity shops for these before heading to Waterstones unless it sounds like a fantastic book, in which case I'll go straight to Waterstones to buy it.

I don't see the OP's problem with tbr piles. Surely if you're going to read (for example) 50 books in a year, does it matter if it's books you've had on a pile for some time, or books you've been lucky enough to have for free, or books you've just gone out and bought?

Um, I don't have a problem with TBR piles. Just saying they're not my thing. I got 3 random books from the library and I enjoyed 2 out of 3 of them. If I started a TBR pile, I'd get too clogged up.:D

Um, I don't have a problem with TBR piles. Just saying they're not my thing. I got 3 random books from the library and I enjoyed 2 out of 3 of them. If I started a TBR pile, I'd get too clogged up.:D

I'd love to be able to do that, but my library is quite small, and I rarely find even one book I remotely like the look of, so I end up having to reserve them online, which leads to have a list of books ready to order, which leads to not being able to wait for the reservations to arrive, which leads to going the bookshop to buy the book instead, which leads to 3 for 2 offers, which leads to shelves full of unread books waiting to be started! :lol:

I'd love to be able to do that, but my library is quite small, and I rarely find even one book I remotely like the look of, so I end up having to reserve them online, which leads to have a list of books ready to order, which leads to not being able to wait for the reservations to arrive, which leads to going the bookshop to buy the book instead, which leads to 3 for 2 offers, which leads to shelves full of unread books waiting to be started! :lol:

:lol: Mine's quite small too (oo er), but then again I'm not too fussy about what I read.

Ok 'fession time, I do have an Amazon Wish List. But it's only used as a hint to friends...or relatives...or anybody else that feels sorry for me...:lol::D OMG if I went down your route I'd end up poorer than I am already.:lol:

:lol: Mine's quite small too (oo er), but then again I'm not too fussy about what I read.

Ok 'fession time, I do have an Amazon Wish List. But it's only used as a hint to friends...or relatives...or anybody else that feels sorry for me...:lol::D OMG if I went down your route I'd end up poorer than I am already.:lol:

:lol: Luckily I don't spend money on much else. I don't have any expensive vices, and I hate shopping in general, in fact the only shopping I like is book shopping!

Luckily I don't spend money on much else. I don't have any expensive vices, and I hate shopping in general, in fact the only shopping I like is book shopping!

:lol: Apart from the necessities, I only spend money on books. :D

I don't have any "wishlist" at all. There are just too many books I want to read, and too many books I don't know I want to read which will actually be good, for me to bother trying to list any of them, or prioritise.

I have a "TBR" pile, in the sense of the books I've got which I've not yet read, and I try and keep that down to between 5 and 10 books; even lower if I really push it.

No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean my post to come across the way that it probably did! I just meant that I love my tbr pile, but we're all different. Sorry if I sounded unfriendly - I didn't mean to:)

At this point in time I have more of what could be called a to be read room rather than list.

Strange that, I think I have myself one of those as well.