TBR - Am I the only one?

honestfi

I mean, I can see the point of a TBR pile, sorta, but surely there are too many books and too little time? I personally don't have an "official" TBR pile, oh sure, there are some books I'd like to get hold of/be given, such as some early Colin Dexter or Minette Walters, and maybe Raymond Chandler. But there is nothing fixed.

I review books for SHOTS online and when the editor asked me what books he wanted me to send, I said "surprise me". He sent me books that I would never have picked up myself, and I enjoyed every one - bar one. Reviewing them also helps objectivity and encourages me to read them through. Of course, it helps I get these books for free, but else I go to my local library, a large percentage of the books there are less than 2 years old. I'm sure that there are TBR lists that are longer, but I saw one on here for 66. 66? Even if you are a fairly quick reader, and, say, read them in around 6 months, there will be that number, and more, that could be released in 6 months. My opinion only - life's too short.:lol: But am I the only one? Are there any other "take a chance" random readers out there that take one book at a time?

To me the TBR is a physical shelf/pile/wall of books that you have picked up along the way and plan on / hope to read at some stage.

I have once or twice counted the books in my house that I would like to read, and it's a scary number, but I don't read things in any particular order, but let my mood direct me. I am also not undertaking any challenges to read particular books, or a specific number of them, so I can be free and easy about what I read.

I also have my wish list, which is basically a shopping list of books that I will eventually get around to getting. This isn't an actual list, more of a chamber in my mind that thinks "ooh, I think that is the title of the one I wanted to read." if it sees a book that pings my strings!

Given the way my wishlist and tbr have expanded since I joined this place, I'd feel like I was really missing out if I didn't note down the name of any title I liked the sound of - I'll still get back to it if or whenever I feel like it, so I'm not limiting myself, but I don't see the point in ignoring a list of titles I'm interested in just so I'm open to anything.

To me the TBR is a physical shelf/pile/wall of books that you have picked up along the way and plan on / hope to read at some stage.

Ditto - and I have a large one of those! :D

I also have a wishlist, kept on Amazon. It has so, so, so many items on it - I'll never manage to buy/read them all, but it helps me keep track of things I come across and like the sound of. I do occasionally go though it and then specifically buy items - and I also find things I've bought, forgetting they were on my wishlist, and delete them!!

I don't read things in any particular order, but let my mood direct me.

I also have my wish list, which is basically a shopping list of books that I will eventually get around to getting.

Given the way my wishlist and tbr have expanded since I joined this place, I'd feel like I was really missing out if I didn't note down the name of any title I liked the sound of - I'll still get back to it if or whenever I feel like it, so I'm not limiting myself, but I don't see the point in ignoring a list of titles I'm interested in just so I'm open to anything.

I agree with Roxi and Chrissy. Although I do have a physical pile of books to be read, and a written list (yes, I make lists :D) of books I would like, they are not stuck to adamantly. If I'm out book shopping and come across a book that's not on either list but I fancy it, I will buy it. It will be added to my pile to be read at some stage, whether that is sooner or later will depend on my mood. I browse the book and charity shops on a regular basis so I'm always coming across books that aren't on either list, also if something is just released that I have been dying to read, I'll get it and read it when it suits.

I don't feel I'm missing out on anything at all, in fact the opposite is true. If I didn't have my TBR and wishlist to jog my memory (which is appalling when it comes to book titles), I think I would have missed out on some fantastic reads.

I agree with Roxi and Chrissy. Although I do have a physical pile of books to be read, and a written list (yes, I make lists :D) of books I would like, they are not stuck to adamantly. If I'm out book shopping and come across a book that's not on either list but I fancy it, I will buy it. It will be added to my pile to be read at some stage, whether that is sooner or later will depend on my mood. I browse the book and charity shops on a regular basis so I'm always coming across books that aren't on either list, also if something is just released that I have been dying to read, I'll get it and read it when it suits.

I don't feel I'm missing out on anything at all, in fact the opposite is true. If I didn't have my TBR and wishlist to jog my memory (which is appalling when it comes to book titles), I think I would have missed out on some fantastic reads.

I couldn't have said it better.

My To Be Read list is literally that - the books on my shelf that I already own that are waiting to be read. The reason I keep a list, and I've put them in order as well, is because I used to leave the scattered among the many shelves in my house, but when I finished one book and was looking for the next, I used to spend ages dithering about which book would be next, and wasted precious reading time. I finally decided to collect all the books into one bookcase so that they're all there waiting for me, and although I've got a order I plan to read them in, I'll happily pick something else off the shelf that takes my fancy if I feel like it.

However, my wishlist is a completely different kettle of fish. That's the list of books that I've heard about, read about, or been recommended that I would like to buy. In theory, I take this with me to the bookshop and would pick books from it when I'm in a buying mood. In reality, I forget all about it, wander aimlessly and pick up whatever looks appealing at the time. For example, today I bought four books, one was the next in a series I'm already reading, one was a book on my wishlist by an author I've read some other books by and really enjoyed, one was a book that I'd seen a lot of coverage for as it had won an award and looked fascinating (these were all on a 3 for 2 offer) and the final one was a book I'd never seen before, by an author I've vaguely heard of, but just looked fascinating.

Don't take this the wrong way, but surely as a reviewer, you're hoping to encourage people to buy good books that they might never otherwise pick up? That's certainly why you're being asked to review the books. I agree to a certain extent that it's great to pick up books without any preconceived ideas or without being influenced by other people's views, and you're in quite a privileged position to be sent books for free to review without knowing what the next style, genre, author will be, but for me, I sometimes want to know that I'm sharing the very individual reading experience with people I trust and whose opinions I respect by reading books they've recommended.

My TBR pile is an actual, physical pile of books that I own but have not yet read, rather than books I want to read but don't yet have, therefore my TBR pile really is a pile of books to be read. :D

My TBR pile is an actual, physical pile of books that I own but have not yet read, rather than books I want to read but don't yet have, therefore my TBR pile really is a pile of books to be read. :D

Same. My TBR is an actual list of books that I already have, that haven't already been read. Separately I don't actually have a wishlist - well I do but it's not one written down as such, it's a wishlist of books that if I really want, I'll remember in my head.

I agree with previous posters. My TBR pile is just that, a pile of books that I have accumilated. Some are random pickups from chairty shops or sales at waterstones at bargain prices. I see it i get it. I know I want to read it and it is there when I can get to it.

I also have another pile ( A small pile) beside my bed of books that I need to read urgently because they are borrowed from a friend or are from the library.

My wish list or should I say 'Wish book' is exactly that. They are books that I am wanting to read but have not yet aquired. I have them all wrote down in a little black book and is always in my bag, so if I go to a charity shop/ second hand book shop or waterstones I can get it out and see if any of them are on offer or there to buy. My wish book only had a few book in it, now thanks to this site is is nearly full :D

My TBR pile is an actual, physical pile of books that I own but have not yet read, rather than books I want to read but don't yet have, therefore my TBR pile really is a pile of books to be read. :tong:

That's the same as me. I don't add anything to my TBR list unless I physically own it. Otherwise, it goes on my Wish List, which is also extremely long. :D

Don't take this the wrong way, but surely as a reviewer, you're hoping to encourage people to buy good books that they might never otherwise pick up? That's certainly why you're being asked to review the books. I agree to a certain extent that it's great to pick up books without any preconceived ideas or without being influenced by other people's views, and you're in quite a privileged position to be sent books for free to review without knowing what the next style, genre, author will be, but for me, I sometimes want to know that I'm sharing the very individual reading experience with people I trust and whose opinions I respect by reading books they've recommended.

Actually, the genre is fixed: thriller/crime. And yep, that is my (unpaid) job, to try and encourage you to read the books that I like. And it is just my personal opinion that I would be somewhat overwhelmed, literally and figuratively, if I started a TBR list. 1. I've got no room :tong:, 2. If I started such a list I'd be so shockingly organised that I'd probably use MS Access to keep track of them all :D 3. In reference to 2., I'd probably feel it would take over my life. Sorta personality I have. I have an author friend who recommends books to me occasionally, and sometimes I follow the advice. I note on here that there are a few leaders, rather than followers, and yeah, to a certain extent I could be influenced by a review. But only sorta. Which you may think makes my position redundant. And yes, I do feel mighty privileged, particularly if I read a book that's not even out yet. That feels pretty special. And recently I've read author debuts, or at the very least their second novel and at times it makes me sad that so many fans of my genre stick to the same old best selling authors and don't take a chance with a newbie. Maybe it's different in other genres? K, it's all very well being 'safe' but a writer's gotta start somewhere....

And please don't think I'm having a go at anyone on here. You all seem to have pretty mixed tastes and attitudes, I'm just stating my own opinion.

Like most people, I distinguish between Mount TBR (things I physically own but have yet to read or complete) and the Wishlist of Doom (books I want to physically own).

The way I see it is that, right now, I can't even afford the tip of the iceberg as far as all the good books out there are concerned; if I didn't make a note of them as I go along, chances are that when the time of plenty comes I'll have forgotten 99% of them!

For this reasons I always carry writing implements around bookshops with me to jot down titles and authors of books I can't afford/don't have the space for/want to find in a different edition or better condition.

I don't see the TBR list as something to strictly follow. I mean, I can a buy a book that's not in my TBR, and read it directly. To me, the TBR pile is just a way to keep in order what you wish to read it-whenever you want and if you want to.:D

I have what I call a "TBR" list, but I think I'm really using the wrong name.. It's really a "wishlist," as it's a list of books I think sound interesting enough to consider picking up when I'm in the mood for something like that. It's not at the exclusion of other random books that I may run across that aren't on my wishlist.. If I run across a book that's not on my wishlist that I want to read, I have no trouble either adding it to my wishlist for later, or checking it out (library) at that point.

I also have other random lists, like "Books to look up more info on" or "Authors to Research," or "Authors recommended to me." I have no qualms about having multiple lists concerning things I want to look up later when I'm in the mood.

As for an actual stack of books I have to read, I have about 3 books in it, mostly because I check out so many books from the library, and approach books to read like any other to-do list.. I like to check things off as I go, instead of piling things onto my list when I still have 17 things left to do. That's not to say TBR lists aren't good, don't work for a lot of people, or anything else.. Just what fits MY preferences as a reader. :tong:

I don't add anything to my TBR list unless I physically own it. Otherwise, it goes on my Wish List, which is also extremely long. :D

I'm the same. My TBR pile currently stands at around 450. That's 450 actual books that I have on my shelves. I have a wishlist that formally includes a couple of dozen books, but there are dozens more that I keep stored in my memory, which isn't a good idea with a memory like mine, I'm afraid!

I have once or twice counted the books in my house that I would like to read, and it's a scary number, but I don't read things in any particular order, but let my mood direct me. I am also not undertaking any challenges to read particular books, or a specific number of them, so I can be free and easy about what I read.

I also have my wish list, which is basically a shopping list of books that I will eventually get around to getting. This isn't an actual list, more of a chamber in my mind that thinks "ooh, I think that is the title of the one I wanted to read." if it sees a book that pings my strings!

This is worded perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself. I am the same way. I keep a physical TBR pile and a wish-list of books that I want to buy.

I'm the same. My TBR pile currently stands at around 450. That's 450 actual books that I have on my shelves. I have a wishlist that formally includes a couple of dozen books, but there are dozens more that I keep stored in my memory, which isn't a good idea with a memory like mine, I'm afraid!

Holey moley! can I come for a visit? I would love to spend some quality time with a collection like that!:D

I also have an actual pile of books here around 60 that haven't been read yet, and foolishly on Monday I decided to incorporate them into the other shelves (series with series all books by the same author together etc) and I must say I liked to better when they were seperate and everything else was just randomly put away.

I agree with the majority here, when I say "TBR", what I really mean is "the unread books currently on my shelves". I wouldn't include books I don't physically own in this.

With regards to wish-lists, oh, I've got you all beat. Wish-list, pffft. Wish DATABASE, is what I have. Which I can sync with my phone and refer to when I go book-shopping. Or, I would, if I ever remembered. :D

I agree with the majority here, when I say "TBR", what I really mean is "the unread books currently on my shelves". I wouldn't include books I don't physically own in this.

I agree. My TBR pile is a storage box and a few shelves filled with books that I have bought but yet to read (of which there are many :D). Ones that I want just stay in my head until I see them in a shop or get so desperate to read them that I buy them on Amazon/Ebay.

You lot have at least succeeded in making me laugh :tong:. I once suggested to Amazon to implement an "author alert" - which would inform you if a certain author released a new or re-released title. (i.e. more specific than the really really dodgy recommendations). You lot would be darn dangerous. Mission statement: Have iphone, will buy if desperate.

But guess I'm on my own unless the lurkers are the silent minority.:D Lemme tell you how random I can be. I got three books from the library today. I cannot remember any of the titles or any of the author's names. I only scanned the blurbs. They are my fave genre - thriller/crime. That's all I know. As I'm not obliged to, I may post the reviews. Well I might as well warn you.:D

Edited by honestfi
duuuhh..