The future of food

~Andrea~

I've been tuning into this and am absolutely horrified that 25 000 people a day die of starvation when you see the number of lardy-arses in Britain and other affluent countries. I also have a big bug-bear about supermarkets and the endless choice of products- how many types of one product do you actually need and why is there this reliance on having certain foods all the year round? I think this programme is excellent, informative and shocking and it's a shame it's tucked away on BBC 2. Only trouble is that it's only really the people who care already that will be watching this type of programme and we're already trying to do our bit... Rant over...:)

I haven't seen the programme but through uni I've studied the consumption trends of the global north compared to the global south. It's so unjust it's infuriating!

We cause the most damage to the planet yet it's generally the most vulnerable people on the planet that suffer. I think the whole situation is just crazy :D

I think this programme is excellent, informative and shocking and it's a shame it's tucked away on BBC 2.

I agree. Episode 2 made me cry.

Only trouble is that it's only really the people who care already that will be watching this type of programme and we're already trying to do our bit... Rant over...:D

In the main you are probably right. However it's certainly made me think about my lifestyle and what I can do, and it's made me want learn more about the issues as well. I am sure there will be people watching this who will learn something, or have something re-iterated to them, and want to do something. Even if just a few people think again, it's a start.

I haven't seen the programme but through uni I've studied the consumption trends of the global north compared to the global south. It's so unjust it's infuriating!

We cause the most damage to the planet yet it's generally the most vulnerable people on the planet that suffer. I think the whole situation is just crazy :D

Yup!

What did you study at uni?

Even if just a few people think again, it's a start.

I totally agree :D

I'm studying Town Planning so we've covered a lot about sustainable development and environmental impacts of government planning policy. When you compare the UK to somewhere like Holland, they're miles ahead of us in the way they think and approach protecting the environment.

We're told that we need to use greener modes of transport, yet they don't provide realistic alternatives to the car and it's cheaper to buy imported produce rather than locally grown food.......it's just back to front isn't it. I always get the impression that the UK government provide lip service to environmental issues but because we're such an economically driven country, the economy will always come first.

I do agree that everyone should try to do their bit though. Every little helps and all that :D

Interesting stuff. Well it's good to hear that that stuff is being covered on the courses of those who will end up in town planning!

It's complex isn't it. I think a bit needs to come from the individual, a bit from the government and a bit from business. Maybe one day we'll all get to meet in the middle.