Nightwish's Reading List 2009

Nightwish

I thought it was about time I started one of these reading lists after spending so much time reading other peoples reviews! :friends0:

I know I have started this quite late into the year so obviously it isn't going to list every single book I have read :lol: I will start attempting to review the books I have read this month though :D

Currently Reading: Twilight - Stephenie Meyer (re-read)

Edited by Nightwish

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books that I have waiting to be read:

Anne Rice – The Vampire Lestat

Cathy Kelly – Once in a Lifetime

Cecelia Ahern - The Gift

Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol

David Ebershoff – The 19th Wife

Elizabeth Kostova – The Historian

Eoin Colfer – Artemis Fowl

Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones's Diary

Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Jane Austen – Emma

Jane Austen – Lady Susan

Jane Austen – Mansfield Park

Jane Austen – Northanger Abbey

Jane Austen – Persuasion

Jane Austen – Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen – Sense and Sensibility

Jane Green – Second Chance

Jane Green - The Beach House

Jeffery Deaver – The Bone Collector

Jodi Picoult – Change of Heart

J.R.R Tolkien – The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Karen Joy Fowler – The Jane Austen Book Club

Koushun Takami – Battle Royale

L.J. Smith - Nightworld Volume One: Secret Vampire

L.J. Smith - Nightworld Volume One: Daughters of Darkness

L.J. Smith - Nightworld Volume One: Enchantress

Marian Keyes – This Charming Man

Paullina Simons – The Bronze Horseman

P.C. and Kristin Cast – Marked

P.C. and Kristin Cast – Betrayed

P.C. and Kristin Cast – Chosen

P.C. and Kristin Cast – Untamed

P.C. and Kristin Cast – Hunted

P.C. and Kristin Cast - Tempted

Raymond Khoury - The Sanctuary

Sebastian Barry - The Secret Scripture

Stephen King - IT

Stephen King – The Gunslinger

Stephen King - The Shining

Stephen King – The Stand

Terry Brooks – Armageddon’s Children

Trudi Canavan – The Magicians’ Guild

Edited by Nightwish

Books I have read in 2009

August:

Philippa Gregory – The Other Boleyn Girl - 9/10

Audrey Niffenegger – The Time Traveler’s Wife - 7/10

Jodi Picoult - Nineteen Minutes - 9/10

September:

Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts - 6/10

Thomas Harris - Red Dragon - 7/10

Sophie Kinsella - Remember Me? - 10/10

October:

Lucy Diamond - Over You - 10/10

Dan Brown - Angels and Demons - 7/10

Jodi Picoult - Perfect Match - 10/10

November:

Dan Brown - The Da Vinci Code - 6/10

Charlaine Harris - Dead Until Dark - 8/10

Charlaine Harris - Living Dead in Dallas - 8/10

Charlaine Harris - Club Dead - 9/10

December:

Charlaine Harris - Dead to the World - 10/10

Cecelia Ahern - PS, I Love You - 10/10

Stephen King - Gerald's Game - 7/10

Stephenie Meyer - Twilight - 8/10

:lol:

Edited by Nightwish

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Synopsis from Waterstones:

Fabulous historical novel set in the court of King Henry VIII. Mary Boleyn attracts the attention of the young king and becomes his mistress; when he tires of her, she sets out to school her sister, Anne, as a replacement. Politics and passion are inextricably bound together in this compelling drama. The Boleyn family is keen to rise through the ranks of society, and what better way to attract the attention of the most powerful in the land than to place their most beautiful young woman at court? But Mary becomes the king's mistress at a time of change. He needs his personal pleasures, but he also needs an heir. The unthinkable happens and the course of English history is irrevocably changed. For the women at the heart of the storm, they have only one weapon; and when it's no longer enough to be the mistress, Mary must groom her younger sister in the ways of the king. What happens next is common knowledge -- but here it is told in a way we've never heard it before, with all of Philippa Gregory's characteristic perceptiveness, backed by meticulous research and superb storytelling skills.

My thoughts:

This is the first book I have read by Philippa Gregory and I am impressed. Philippa Gregory puts in great detail in her writing that it is easy to lose yourself in the book by imagining yourself in the settings. I found that there was always something happening which made the book difficult to put down.

I found the events quite horrifying. Mary's family presenting her to the King even though she was married, in high hopes that she would be his lover to then later blowing her off as Anne has caught the Kings eye and Mary must help. I liked Mary and could sympathise with her as she really did care for both the King and their children. She had such maternal feelings for them, so I found it quite disgusting that she was only allowed to visit them once a year.

Another event that I found to be quite horrifying was the desperation of Anne to give birth to a baby boy. The miscarriages were heartbreaking...but the lengths she went to in the book to conceive a child...it was quite disturbing,

especially the deformed baby.

This was a gripping book, a book I would recommend to everyone. I will be reading more by Philippa Gregory.

Rating: 9/10

Edited by Nightwish

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

This extraordinary, magical novel is the story of Clare and Henry who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself pulled suddenly into his past or future. His disappearances are spontaneous and his experiences are alternately harrowing and amusing. The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's passionate love for each other with grace and humour. Their struggle to lead normal lives in the face of a force they can neither prevent nor control is intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

My thoughts:

I don't know where to start here. This was a book I had no interest in reading originally, as admittedly, the title put me off as I instantly thought "Sci-Fi". It wasn't until I saw the trailer for the film that I was interested in reading this book. Wow! I am glad I did.

I found this book to be quite a challenging read, as Henry is a time traveler, meeting Clare when she is six years old and he is thirty-six. He travels back in time and visits Clare several times from then on, up until Clare reaches the age of eighteen. In present time Clare is twenty years old and Henry is in his late twenties when one day they meet in the library and Clare instantly recognises him, but Henry doesn't have a clue who she is as he has not yet travelled back in time and met her. Confused? You aren't the only one! It wasn't until I had read about a quarter of the book when I finally got used to the jumping in time. What was interesting is how Niffenegger jumped between the two characters. I loved reading from both of their points of view as it adds depth to the two main characters and helped me to gain a huge emotional attachment to them. Such an attachment that

towards the end I got quite upset as I knew Henry would die and he was keeping it secret from Clare, and everytime it was Clare's point of view I wanted to shout out to her to cherish each moment she has with him. :lol:

I found this to be quite a moving story, the majority of which I loved.

Rating: 7/10

Edited by Nightwish

I love your review (although I'm so tempted to read the spoiler too :D). I agree that at times the time travel can be confusing. I was trying to work out who knows what when and gave up because it was making my brain hurt :lol: I also love that it is told from two perspectives :friends0:

Don't read the spoiler Steph! :lol: Trust me, it is the type of spoiler that once you have read it you will kick yourself for as it is quite an intense part of the book.

Haha, what about when there is two Henrys the same age? I was like oh...which Henry is it that has time travelled?!

Don't read the spoiler Steph! :lol: Trust me, it is the type of spoiler that once you have read it you will kick yourself for as it is quite an intense part of the book.

Haha, what about when there is two Henrys the same age? I was like oh...which Henry is it that has time travelled?!

I was a bit confused when the two Henry's met, and what exactly they were upto. I'm sure I must have read it wrong. About 1/3 of the way in I decided to not concentrate anymore and just enjoy it:lol: I will definitely not be reading the spoiler - I will finish it later anyway :D

I don't know where to start here. This was a book I had no interest in reading originally, as admittedly, the title put me off as I instantly thought "Sci-Fi". It wasn't until I saw the trailer for the film that I was interested in reading this book.

Great review Nightwish :D. I feel exactly the same! Now I want to read it even more :lol:

I got totally upset by the Time Travelers Wife too. I must have been crying throughout the last 50 pages :lol: I still got quite confused by the time travelling, trying to work out what took place when. I agree with you that the whole time

I was wishing he would tell Clare so she know how much time she had. The party was really sad because he was just saying goodbye to everyone.

. Definitely one of the better books I have read this year :D

I think it really makes you question what you would do yourself if you was in that position. Would you tell your partner that

you was going to die soon? While reading the book I was in two minds about it. I felt like she should know so she could cherish every moment with him but then I wondered if it would be too much to know and that there is just some things in life that is better to find out as it happens.

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Sterling is a small, ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens -- until a student enters the local high school with an arsenal of guns and starts shooting, changing the lives of everyone inside and out. The daughter of the judge sitting on the case is the state's best witness -- but she can't remember what happened in front of her own eyes. Or can she?

My Thoughts:

Peter Houghton is a 17 year old boy that has been bullied all his life. On his very first day at kindergarten other boys threw his lunchbox out of the bus window, which ended up happening on a daily basis. Jump ahead several years later and the same boys are still bullying and humiliating him on a daily basis, that one day Peter walks into his school with guns and kills ten people.

I am a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and this book did not disappoint. She has the power to fill you with such raw emotions and question what you would do in such dilemmas. I like the structure of the book as the alternating narratives between past and present adds depth to the story. This is the key to producing powerful emotions as at first you don't know each characters history and you find you have made up your mind based on what is happening on the present, but as the story jumps to the past and you see each event unfold you start to get a better understanding and begin to empathise with the characters, finding yourself changing your mind about each one. I changed my mind on a number of character such as Peter, Josie and Matt, but I found I did more with

Matt as at first I felt more sorry for Josie when he got shot as they were going out, but the more I read into his past the more I changed my mind and found him to be a selfish person who would constantly emotionally blackmail Josie, such as when he was going to kill himself, he would abuse her both mentally and physically, even going to the extent of what I personally saw as rape.

The problem I find with books by Jodi Picoult is that she is always putting in a twist at the end which I never expect, so throughout this book I was reading every event thoroughly, and found I was right in my guessed on certain events that happened that I was worried that I was going to guess the final twist. No need to worry as Picoult is a fantastic writer and I did not expect that

it was Josie that shot Matt! :D

Personally I found this book to be a fantastic read and would recommend this to any Jodi Picoult fans!

Rating: 9/10

The Pact is one I haven't read yet. I think its because I already watched it (before I even heard of Jodi Picoult :D) so I would rather read her other stuff first. My mum tried reading Nineteen Minutes but shes given up already. Ahh well, Picoult can't please everyone! My mum gave up with My Sister's Keeper as well :lol:

The Pact is one I haven't read yet. I think its because I already watched it (before I even heard of Jodi Picoult :D) so I would rather read her other stuff first. My mum tried reading Nineteen Minutes but shes given up already. Ahh well, Picoult can't please everyone! My mum gave up with My Sister's Keeper as well :lol:

I think it's because sometimes she is a bit heavy, like if you were expecting to read a nice lighthearted romance novel, her books are definitely not for you :lol: I haven't read 19 minutes yet though. It's on my list :lol:

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

Delia Hopkins has led a charmed life. Raised in rural New Hampshire by her widowed father Andrew, she now has a young daughter, a handsome fianc, and her own Search and Rescue bloodhound - which she uses to find missing persons. But as she plans her wedding, she is plagued by flashbacks of a life she can't recall. Then a policeman shows up at her door, arresting her father for the kidnap of a little girl. And Delia's past and present fracture into little pieces.VANISHING ACTS is a book about the very nature and power of memory. It explores what happens when the past we have been running from catches up to us, and questions who we trust to tell us the story of our lives before we are capable of remembering it ourselves.

My Thoughts:

"Your father is arrested for kidnapping. You were the child he stole. What would you do?" This is the chilling message on the front of the book. From the moment you pick it up and look at the cover you are left questioning morals, what ifs and what could possibly drive a parent to kidnapping.

The front cover is chilling enough and draws you into reading the book but I am afraid to say that the beginning of the book just didn't do it for me. But as I am the type of person to give a book a try I decided that I wouldn't give up, and almost 50 pages in I started to settle down and enjoy it. The problem at first I found was the characters themselves. I didn't like them, they didn't seem to have much character, and it wasn't until later in the book when their characters seemed to come alive. Even though I ended up enjoying this book to a certain extent there were times when I really struggled to motivate myself to get around to reading it. I found some parts of it to be pointless drivel which disappointed me as I do enjoy books by Jodi Picoult, but to me it felt like the only times the story came alive was following Andrew in prison. He was the only character I really liked in the book and I am so glad he had so many chapters. The other time the book came alive was during the court case, but sadly this only happened in the last 100 pages of the books. Even more disappointing was I knew the twist of the book as soon as Eric and Delia looked at Delia's medical records, but it didn't make the events any less horrifying! When the twist was revealed I finally felt myself feeling very sorry for Delia as nobody should go through

sexual abuse at any age.

The stucture of the book I enjoyed more than the structure of Nineteen Minutes. This time there were chapters from just one characters point of view which made the book appear more "tidy" and organised. Everything flowed more easily, but I found at times the same events would play out from another characters point of view in the next chapter which made the story quite tedious in places.

An interesting enough read at times, but sadly it is not one of Picoult's greater books.

Rating: 6/10