Help Me Decide on a Fantasy Series

Fionen

I have a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble so I'm trying to figure out which books to buy. I've looked through some of the fantasy book suggestions on this forum and Goodreads but I just can't decide.

To give an idea of what I like, some of my favorite series are Children of the Changeling by Greg Keyes, The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix, Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce, and Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.

I have a shortlist so tell me which series you think I'd like best. You can suggest series that aren't on the list. Keep in mind that if its a super popular series, I've already heard about it, and its not listed for a reason. The reason might be that I've read it, my sister owns the series so I don't need to buy it for myself, or I'm just not interested in reading it.

Here are the series I'm considering:

Canavan, Trudi - Black Magician Trilogy

Carey, Jacqueline - Kushiel's Legacy

Cashore, Kristin - Graceling

Croggon, Alison - Pellinor Series

Duncan, Dave - King's Blades

Duncan, Dave - Seventh Sword

Fanney, Robert - Luthiels Song

Feist, Raymond E. - The Riftwar Saga

Friedman, C.S. - The Coldfire Trilogy

Hale, Shannon - The Books of Bayern

Haydon, Elizabeth - Symphony of Ages

Hobb, Robin - The Farseer Trilogy

Kay, Guy Gavriel - The Fionavar Tapestry Trilogy

Kay, Guy Gavriel - Tigana

Moore, Leslie Ann - Griffin's Daughter Trilogy

Mull, Brandon - Fablehaven

Sage, Angie - Septimus Heap

Sanderson, Brandon - Mistborn

Spencer, Wen - Tinker

Sullivan, Michael J. - The Riyria Revelations

Williams, Tad - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn

Edited by Fionen

Canavan, Trudi - Black Magician Trilogy or Hobb, Robin - The Farseer Trilogy from your shortlist. I've read all of the Black Magician Trilogy and enjoyed them immensely. I can't say I've read the latter, but I have heard great things about The Farseer Trilogy. On another note, have you read His Dark Materials by Phillip Pulman. It's my all time favourite trilogy, and probably indivudally my favourite three novels. Anyway, hope my suggestions help you decide.

I've read the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage, and think they are wonderful, so I can heartily recommend those. :D

Aside from those, I haven't read any others on your list, although I have heard a lot of good things in different places about The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

Right - I haven't actually read any of these (I try to stay away from series, just because they take up so much space).

However, the ones I recall seeing on my mother's bookshelf (me ma might just be the most discerning reader in the world, she hasn't ever been wrong in recommending a book to me ever since I was ikkle, and her fantasy collection would put most public libraries to shame) are the ones by Trudy Caravan and Tad Williams (an author she particularly adores; apparently his "Otherland" series is also superb).

I've read all of the Black Magician Trilogy and enjoyed them immensely.

Aside from those, I haven't read any others on your list, although I have heard a lot of good things in different places about The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

I'm now over half was through The Magicians' Guild and there is still no sign of a plot, if things don't pick up soon I'm not sure how far I will be going with this series.

Canavan, Trudi - Black Magician Trilogy

That's the only series of your list that I've read, and I really enjoyed it, so I would recommend that one! I started to read Kushiel's Dart, but gave up before I was halfway through. I just couldn't get into it.

I'm now over half was through The Magicians' Guild and there is still no sign of a plot, if things don't pick up soon I'm not sure how far I will be going with this series.

I'm a bit confused about why you say there's no plot! It may not be a very complicated plot, with lots of little sub-plots going on in the background, but there's still a strong plot, however simple it might be!

I'm starting to pick up the teensiest hint that this book really isn't your cup of tea! :lol:

I'm a bit confused about why you say there's no plot! It may not be a very complicated plot, with lots of little sub-plots going on in the background, but there's still a strong plot, however simple it might be!

Being chased around a town is not a plot!

I'm starting to pick up the teensiest hint that this book really isn't your cup of tea! :lol:

I'm determined to get to the end of this to see if it gets anymore coherent, but so far the characters are cardboard cut outs (I'm surprised you don't get "hiss" prompts every time Fergun enters a scene!), the dialogue is woeful and in 230 odd pages I've read, nothing of any consequence has happened!

Plot wise it's like watching part three of an old four part Doctor Who story; it's the episode where they have run out of money so before the reveal in part four they have to spend an episode running around a quarry to bulk out the running time!

Hmm... Roxi is so passionate about The Coldfire Trilogy that I might have to go with that one. lol I'll give it another day to see if anybody else wants to chime in. I'm going to get the first book of one of the epic fantasy series and one of the YA fantasy series.

Ben, I have heard of His Dark Materials. My sister owns it so I'll borrow it from her someday. :lol:

Has anybody read the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes?

I started to read Kushiel's Dart, but gave up before I was halfway through. I just couldn't get into it.

Well, that eliminates Kushiel's Dart. I was already on the fence about it so bye-bye, Kushi.

Yes, well that's one of my favourite all time series', and I've heard many people rave about them. Whenever you get chance to borrow them I would. Until then, you've got a lot of choice there, so I don't think you can go far wrong.

Ben, I have heard of His Dark Materials. My sister owns it so I'll borrow it from her someday. :D

You should borrow them soon. :lol: Those are some of the best books I've ever read!

I've read the first of Shannon Hale's Bayern series, and I would recommend it. It's a quirky re-telling of The Goose Girl by the Brothers Grimm. Hale does a good job of retaining the feel of the original story, while fleshing out the characters and story. Some strong female characters in this story, which is nice.

I don't know how good the next two in the series are, as I haven't read them. I don't think they're based on any fairy tales; it's my impression that Hale took her cue from The Goose Girl and kind of ran with that.

His Dark Materials is also a superb choice, but it's pretty mainstream, most people are aware of it. Poor ole Friedman isn't well known at all.

What I love about Coldfire is it has a tad of sci-fi in it too, not much, but like, the 'magic' on Erna, where it's set, it's not just Harry Potter 'it happens' magic, it's due to various forces on the planet sorta like the wind and tides we have here, but it's an energy that is influenced and formed by the minds in it, creating magic or even sentient creatures, affecting the evolution of creatures, etc.

Also, there are various religious ideas, good vs. evil debates etc etc.

And then, Gerald Tarrant is a bit like a vampire (who feeds on fear) and is the coolest dude ever.

I need to give them a thread on here, but my review on my blog is packed with spoilers and is more like an essay.

They're brilliant. They're epic and dramatic and if they were a band they'd be Kamelot, loud and OTT but charismatic and alluring :lol: It is actually a big adventure, group sets out on quest and encounters various things along the way. It's also hilarious, the exchanges between the vampire-esque creature and the religious guy, technically enemies but unable to deny the similarities in their intentions and views, lead to some very funny moments.

It's also hilarious, the exchanges between the vampire-esque creature and the religious guy, technically enemies but unable to deny the similarities in their intentions and views, lead to some very funny moments.
Oooh theologically conscious vamps are rather my thing - knowing what I'm like, would I dig this do you think?

Well, it's obviously a fantasy religion, set on Erna where our decendants ended up stranded. But the morality is still there - who Gerald Tarrant IS is very interesting. The religions are mostly based around the use of the Fae, the energy that manifests according to cerebral activity in it (mostly subconscious thoughts). The fae prevents use of any technology, so it's either use the fae to your advantage, or tip toe round it. The 'one true god' scenario tip-toes, and the 'pagan' style smaller groups use it like druids. The main travelling party is made up of a representative of the church, a pagan-esque girl, and the vampire who shares the priest's views but is by his very being an adversary.

Would you like it.... there's no real romance, so no adult content of that nature, but the author seems to describe everything as 'sexual'. Other than that, there's nothing really icky or disturbing I don't think... fears becoming real because of the planet's energy... learning about various evolutions of a species.... big bad in the end... nothing that jumps out at me.

Here's a segment of my review of the first book:

'There are 3 things to take into account if you decide to read this book. Black Sun Rising plays out in first and foremost an epic adventure format. Think Tolkien, on a lesser scale/without the detail. Secondly, the book is intrinsically a combination of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, unless you like BOTH genres, this is not the book for you. While this book suited me down to the ground, I can understand why 99% of its reviews are less than praising. Thirdly, the book is most UNLIKE Tolkien-esque adventures insofar as the events in the book are secondary to the Philosophy behind them. Where LOTR was very much ‘good guys adventure and kill bad guys’, Black Sun Rising is about the gray area between good and evil. Notably, the gray area is portrayed by the most wonderfully sensitive comradary between two natural enemies. In a nutshell, if you like A) Dark Fantasy AND Sci-Fi, :lol: Philosophy and C) sword fighting adventure which is secondary to concept – then this is the book for you. It will appeal to a niche market but if you are in that market I promise you it is an infinitely rewarding read.'

This was weird. I received an email off a friend who I haven't seen for a while, just yesterday. He sends me regular emails of recommendations that he's just read, or he's seen around. New releases and whatnot. It's great because I really trust his judgement and he hasn't been wrong yet. And low and behold he recommended the very same trilogy as you did Roxi. So it looks like with two trusted recommendations, I'll be looking around for these books.