Do you pick up unknown authors?

tdaonp

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love discovering new authors. As someone else said in this thread, they all deserve a chance to "wow" us. It helps create variety in my reading.

I normal go by the cover, title and blurb. If all that is a go, then so is the book. :lol:

You don't know what you like and don't like, unless you try things.

Darling Adam, you are from Alberta and you are cheering the Canadiens eh? To me that is very funny oui, and unexpected.

Me, I look at the cover, how old it is, that is , when the book was first written, and the country. If it is Russian or Nordic, Celtic or whatever I will usually read the work , even if I do not know it. Now much with modern writers unless I am hearing good things from those I think are a little like me in taste.

Darling Adam, you are from Alberta and you are cheering the Canadiens eh? To me that is very funny oui, and unexpected.

LOL I know I get that all the time. My Dad's side of the family is VERY French. It is a family thing. I was born into it and had no other choice :lol:

I have only twice bought something completely unknown to me, one of which has become one of my favourite books (Nightwork - Thomas Glavinic).

I normally search online first by scouring here, goodreads, amazon, the bookdepository, booktopia, dymocks, the lot! before buying anything.

edited: for spelling mistake!

Edited by paperplane

I tend to be a very safe reader. I stick mostly to authors I know, or authors of classics, which usually guarantees me a pretty good read.

I'm wary of trying an author I've never even heard of before because, with the price of new books over here, there's too great a chance that I'll be forking out a lot of money for a dud book.

If I see a book that I'm curious about, I won't buy it on the spot, but rather I'll come here or visit other online sources and read some reviews to determine whether or not I think I would like it. Then I'll look for it secondhand or something.

That said, my reading has branched out quite a lot since I joined here, and I tend to use the BCF (and occasionally Goodreads or LibraryThing) to find out about new authors that I might enjoy. That's my equivalent of searching randomly through the bookshop.

Basically, I have far too many books on my TBR pile without adding random books from random authors. I don't necessarily like it being that way, but that's the way it is!

That said, my reading has branched out quite a lot since I joined here, and I tend to use the BCF (and occasionally Goodreads or LibraryThing) to find out about new authors that I might enjoy. That's my equivalent of searching randomly through the bookshop.

Yeah I have found my reading has branched out too since joining here - this is a very useful reading site! Now when I'm looking in the library or a book store/charity shop I look for authors that I recognise from here, the ones with good reviews so I try them out

My reading has certainly branched out since I joined BCF. It's unsurprising really the amount of recommendations and whatnot, there's bound to be something different for everyone.

Usually when I go to the bookshops I'm looking for a particular author. If I don't find what I'm looking for than I just pick something random and a lot of the times an unknown author if the book looks interesting.

+1 to this.

Another method I use if I do resort to picking up a book by an unknown author is to see which publications supply the reviews on the back.

Without wanting to come off as too much of a snob, if it's Heat or Marie Claire etc. it's probably not my kind of book. If it's times literary supplement who have something good to say about it & it's already piqued my interest, game on! :lol:

I tend to pick up books and read the blurb first, if that sounds interesting then i read them.

Most books I own are from authors I like, but I do go out there and introduce new authors to my collection.

:D

Same as the majority of people then. The synopsis / blurb is definitely a major fact when deciding whether you want to read a novel. If it disappoints me I will be sure to not pick the novel up.

Without wanting to come off as too much of a snob, if it's Heat or Marie Claire etc. it's probably not my kind of book. If it's times literary supplement who have something good to say about it & it's already piqued my interest, game on! :tong:
SNOB POWER!! I mean, ditto :D.

Also, if an author I admire has something good to say about the book, I'll more often than not either buy it on the step or add it to the wishlist of doom. What clinched the acquisition of my first Jasper Fforde book was Terry Pratchett's statement that he would "be watching Jasper Fforde nervously".

The only problem with this approach is that Neil Gaiman, bless his generous soul, has endorsed so many authors I've never heard of... how am I supposed to find the time to read them all, eh Neil??

Edited by BookJumper

I always pick books from un-known authors! Every time i visit the library I usually pick up a ton of books by authors most people wouldn't even have heard of. It's the content that matters isn't it? Ofcourse I own some well-known authors books too (Tolkien,Fay Weldon,Bill Bryson etc) but ultimately, it really doesn't bother me!

I tend to read what i want, whether the books popular or not. In fact there are a lot of well known books on my TBR list at the moment that, although most people have read some if not most of them, i have only just thought to give them a try. And that's because of the good reviews i have since seen on here.

Yes all the time. I'd never given it a second thought but now that I do I relise that the author has never been the draw card to a book. I pick books firstly on the cover and spine because lets face it that's what we see first - so all those books that are a little different looking will always get a look in from me. Then it's the title and blurb if they grab me I don't give it a second thought it's mine now and you can't have it. I've found many fantastic authors that way including Jasper Fforde, Derek Landy and Sara Douglass.

If I'm tempted to buy two books in Waterstones 3 for 2 the third book is usually something by an author I'm not familiar with.Have got a few little gems like that.

Charity shops are also a good affordable way to try out authors.

Edited by pickwick

I'll pick up an unknown author, if the synopsis and reviews jive for me. Someone above thread mentioned going by favorite author's recommendations. Yes, I can go along with that.

The only reason I picked up The Sea by John Banville was because there was a bit on the front that compared him to Vladimir Nabokov....that sold it to me. And it was true. :)

Otherwise, I go by friends recommendation, sometimes when our tastes are similar, or Amazon recommendations work occasionally. I read the customer reviews on Amazon, and can usually tell if I'll like it or not. Or if it's the 'same ole, same ole'.

I'll often pick up books by authors I've not heard of and read the first page, see if I like their style and purchase said book on the strength of that. I enjoying the browsing aspect of book shopping.

I was in Waterstone's some years ago, browsing away quite cheerfully, when this heavenly (and I mean - heavenly) girl came and stood next to me, smiled, said "Hello" and picked a book from the shelf. I grabbed another book in order to remain standing by this vision of loveliness and perhaps spark a conversation up. The book was Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith, his debut, and it turned out to be one of the best books ever.

So. Thank you, fleeting angel of bookshops.

*sighs wistfully*

I often pick up books by unknown authors just by reading the back of the book......more often than not they turn out to be a good read.

I do have authors I regularly browse for though.