The Flashman Diaries

Flashman

Sirs,

As a first post, and as the set of novels that inspired the tag, i felt (having checked the section for a previous thread on the same) that this series of very fine books be brought to the attention of a few more readers.

I first noticed the books on display in a book shop purely by chance - and the animated cover of the dashing soldier with a beauty draped across his leg caught my naughty eye.

I purchased the first and read it with utter tears of laughter and continued to read ALL books in the series over the course of the next few months.

I have since purchased many editions of the books and they take pride of place in my small home library.

I even put together a fantastic soundtrack to play on the i-pod that really sits well with the mood of the books and lends itself well to the stories.

I am a HUGE fan to say the least.

Anyway, i hope some you who have read the Flashman series will share your own thoughts and those who have not yet discovered this gem...enjoy!

Regards,

Flash.

Welcome Flashman! I am a fellow fan of these books which I was inspired to read after watching the BBC series Tom Brown's Schooldays back in the early 1970s, starring Richard Morant as Flashman.

Like Bel-ami, Flashman was a 'cad and a bounder'; the bully who made life miserable for Tom Brown at Rugby School. Author George MacDonald Fraser takes the Flashman story beyond Tom Brown's Schooldays written by Thomas Hughes) and into an illustrious career in the British army in the Victorian era. Lots of adventure, scandal and romping. Great escapist fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...