Janet

042-2009-Aug-16-WhenHitlerStolePink.jpg

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr

The ‘blurb’

”It’s not a bit like Charlie Chaplin except

for the moustache,” said Anna.

They spelled out the name under the photograph

Adolph Hitler

Anna is too busy with schoolwork and tobogganing to listen to the talk of Hitler. But one day she and her brother are rushed out of Germany in alarming secrecy, away from everything they know. Their father is wanted by the Nazis - dead or alive. It’s the start of a huge adventure, sometimes frightening, very often funny, and always, always exciting.

This semi-autobiographical novel tells the story of Anna and her family’s flight from soon-to-be-Nazi-controlled Germany in 1933. Anna’s father is a famous author and is of Jewish descent. He knows that as soon as the Nazis come to power, which they will inevitably do, he will be arrested and so he leaves Germany for neutral Switzerland with Anna, her mother and her brother Max following on a few weeks later. They live in Switzerland for about a year but then have to move to France, and ultimately to England.

This is a story of how it was to be a refugee and a little girl in the years before the outbreak of World War 2. It is a story of poverty, bravery and of learning. Despite all the difficulties the family faced, as long as they could remain together they knew they would be okay.

I really enjoyed this book. I’d heard lots of good things about it and I wasn’t disappointed.

I didn’t realise until after I read this, and then looked up Judith Kerr on Wikipedia, that her son is the author Matthew Kneale - he wrote one of my favourite books of this year, English Passengers.

I shall have to look out for the two sequels to When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit now!

Ooo thanks Gyre, that's a great price!

It really is, I added to my wishlist, I have been wanted to re~read 'When Hitler stole pink rabbit' for awhile :)

• 4 weeks later...

How coincidental, I was just looking for some WW2 literature for children. My son is in the last year of primary school and WW2 is part of his English and History curriculum. Has anybody got any other suggestions of what he could read to help him learn about WW2? Thanks :lol:

How coincidental, I was just looking for some WW2 literature for children. My son is in the last year of primary school and WW2 is part of his English and History curriculum. Has anybody got any other suggestions of what he could read to help him learn about WW2? Thanks :lol:

Childrens books dealing with WW2 that I've read and would recommend:

Once by Morris Gleitzman

The Silver Sword by Ian Serrallier

There are a few threads looking at books set during the war, so I've collated some of the books that have been reviewed:

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (link to reading circle thread, so it may contain spoilers)

Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian - I couldn't find a review, but it is mentioned in a couple of "Favourite" lists.

I read when Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit when I was about 11, I had a phase when I liked war stories (actually that never really ended, Birdsong is one of my favourites now, and Captain Correli's Mandolin). I didn't realise it was part of a trilogy though, I may have to look up the other 2.

Susanne you should try Carrie's War by Nina Bawden too that was a good one and well known. I think some of Nina Bawden's other books are set during WW2 too