Sugar's Reads

Sugar

Finished the Julie Andrews Edward's American Mousical. All right, but there are better, less cliched things around!

Also read Eleven on Top and Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich. Leaves me her seasonal special Visions of Sugar Plums and then I have read all the Stephanie Plum Books.

And finally this week, I finally finished my re-read of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. One of my favourite books!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would follow Kell's example and do some number crunching with my book list.

Here is what I have learned! (I have rounded my rating to one decimal place.)

Jan - 5 books read - 3.8/5 average

Feb - 9 books read - 3.8/5 average

March - 5 books read - 3.8/5 average

April - 8 books read - 4/5 average

May - 8 books read - 3.6/5 average

June - 11 books read - 3.6/5 average

July - 14 books read - 4.1/5 average

Aug - 11 books read - 3.2/5 average

Sept - 8 books read - 3.8/5 average

Oct - 13 books read - 3.5/5 average

Nov - 14 books read - 3.8/5 average

Dec - 5 so far - 3.6/5 average so far!

This means that I have read 111 books this year (just over 9 a month) with an average of 3.7/5. July was the best month, both for the number of books read and the enjoyment gained from them. I wonder whether I read more because I was enjoying them more? (Edit to correct - November rivalled July in quantity but not quite in quality - Janet Evanovich fault - I have given them all 4 stars, as they do have flaws - repetition, inconsistencies, not the best quality writing - despite how great fun they are.)

I certainly seem to have been reading more as the year has gone on. I thought it looked like I read more in the summer, but I'm not sure as in Oct and Nov I read quite a lot - although this may be because I have had a horrible cold since the end of September, and have been reading more when I haven't been sleeping and when I have been feeling sorry for myself!

I will update Dec (and the annual averages) at the end of the month.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like you've had a very good run of reading then! It's interesting to work all that out, isn't it?

It certainly is, and that's saying something as I hate doing maths - especially statistics! I'm also looking forward to seeing how it turns out next week.

Recently, I have mostly been reading:

Hogfather - Terry Pratchett (Current)

Eldest - Christopher Paolini ****

Visions of Sugar Plums - Janet Evanovich ***

Double Fault - Lionel Shriver ****

Darkside - Tom Becker ***

It's been quite nice to read some seasonal books - although the Evanovich was a bit of a disappointment. It is very much a fantasy novel (with magical beings) and a big change of direction from the other Steph Plum books. It only took a couple of hours to read though, so I won't be crying over it!

The Lionel Shriver was also very different to expected, but very good for what it was. Certainly not on the same level as Kevin but an enjoyable piece of contemporary romantic fiction none-the-less.

I think Darkside will appeal to many on here - it's due for publication some time at the start of next year.

At the bottom of my first post in this thread, I have added a list of the Picture Books that I have looked at in depth this year, and also the titles of the "Pocket Penguins" I have read. As shorter books, I didn't feel they deserved counting as part of this years tally (if I included all the picture books I read, and non-fiction texts I skim read at work, I suspect I might crash the server!) but I thought these particular titles worthy of a mention on the list.

Finisged Hogfather last night - I will say that I began to lose the plot a bit at the end. I will have a look in the Reading Circle to see if that helps, but fear I might need the help of the TV show to un-muddle me!

Starting At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien next - I borrowed it from the library months ago after I got back from Ireland and heard it mentioned lots in Dublin. Someone else has now very inconsiderately requested it, so I have to return it by the 8th of January!

Actually read Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich first as I wanted something light and easy to take away with me for a couple of days. It wasn't as good as the Steph Plum books and I won't be rushing out to read Metro Girl. It seems that JE is incapable of writing characters that are different to Steph and Morelli and co.

Thought I would post a list of the books currently sat on the TBR Mountain. They are roughly in order of most recently added to the ones there longest...

* Green means read since list posted. Aim to self - read all of these by Christmas!!!

Well I managed 8 of the 29 - that's about a quarter, so not too bad! Maybe by NEXT Christmas?!

This means that I have read 111 books this year (just over 9 a month) with an average of 3.7/5. July was the best month, both for the number of books read and the enjoyment gained from them. I wonder whether I read more because I was enjoying them more? (Edit to correct - November rivalled July in quantity but not quite in quality - Janet Evanovich fault - I have given them all 4 stars, as they do have flaws - repetition, inconsistencies, not the best quality writing - despite how great fun they are.)

I will update Dec (and the annual averages) at the end of the month.

So in December, I read 11 books - with an average of 3.1/5.

This makes my annual look:

Dec - 11 books read - 3.1/5 average.

So July remains the most profitable month overall.

My overall average was 3.7 stars out of 5 . Fairly satisfactory I think!