Sugar's Reads

Sugar

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Endymion Spring in the car on Friday (sore ankle means that my other half drove more of the journey than me - we normally split more equally) so I had loads of time to read. Felt it quite neatly done, and I did enjoy it, although I'm not sure it is the best book ever written and I suspect it won't be winning any childrens lit prizes.

Also read Damage by Sue Mayfeld this weekend. Surprisingly easy to read given the subject matter. Interesting take on car accidents and the effects they have on communities.

I finished Damage earlier in the weekend than I expected, on the way home we called into my family home and I raided my bookshelf.

Decided to reread The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, a book I first read for A Level and loved. May take a while to read though, as I am finding myself reading all those notes that are scribbled all over it as well as just the text!

The neighbours have just called around with a paddy-bag full of books that arrived in the post this weekend for me while we were out. They are books that I have to read to review and they are:

Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes (which I already own anyway, but hadn't read!)

Kissing Toads by Jemma Harvey

Keeping Secrets by Andrew Rosenheim

Little Lady, Big Apple by Hester Browne

Cents and Sensibility by Maggie Anderson

Started and finished Kissing Toads by Jemma Harvey. It was ok, good fun, with lots of literary references, some of which I felt quite clever to have got!!!

Going to read another of these review books next - Little Lady, Big Apple.

I've got 6 weeks to read them, but I have a real life book club meeting to discuss We Need to Talk About Kevin in a couple of weeks time, so I need to read that too.

I also received another book in the post today as a sneak preview, so when I need some light relief I will read that - it is Mr Dixon Dissappears by Ian Sansom. Sent to me because I spent a day with him on a mobile library!

Read Little Lady, Big Apple. It was alright, vaguely amusing in places and mildly more original than some things I've read but it didn't quite do it for me!

I am starting to note how Jane Austen obsessed all these chick lit books are, with their constant references to Mr Darcy / Mr Knightly and plays on words and phrases taken from Austen.

Reading one more review book, Cents and Sensibility (see what I mean about Austen!) and then am going to have a break to get on with our Kevin.

Kell, I'd love to know which 4 we overlap with...

I've just realised I never replied to this - duh! You also have a few on your list that i've read:

Endymion Springs - finished

We Need to Talk About Kevin - finished

Geisha of Gion - finished

The Da Vinci Code - finished

The Vesuvius Club - to read

Deja Dead - to read

Daughter of Fortune - to read

WN2TAK was only just recently read, so that was the 4th one I was talking about at the time. :)

I've updated the list to reflect which I have read since posting. Didn't want to delete them, as it will make it clear how well I am doing with the pile / not doing, so have coloured them green.

I think I will add new books at the end of August and see how it has changed.

Am whizzing through the review books - actually finished Cents and Sensibility late last night, so decided that I could fit one more in before I read Kevin.

Have started Keeping Secrets by Andrew Rosenheim. It is the one of the 5 I was sent that looks least like a romance / chick-lit novel, so should make a bit of a change.

Done with the Andrew Rosenheim - very refreshing and scored surprisingly highly on my review.

Received 2 review books from work yesterday as well - Stray by David Belbin (another Barrington Stoke publication) and The Cobra King of Kathmandu by PB Kerr (part of his Children of the Lamp series).

Read Stray in about 20 minutes today, so going to get on with Kevin. Hopefully finish it by the end of Sunday, then read the Kerr (we are supposed to return them in 2 weeks of receiving them) and then finally read the Marian Keyes from the other review shelf.

Then I can read something I want to for a bit!!!! :)

Well Kevin took longer than hoped, partly due to the migraine that I started on Monday, and became full blown on Tuesday. I finished it 2 minutes before I was picked up to go to book club last night to discuss it!

But what a book - fantastic. I think I was expecting something Jodi Picoult-ish. Looking at something controversial and making a novel out of it, but it so isn't!

Well worth every minute I invested in it. Certainly worth re-reading as well (and I don't say that often!). And a huge hit at book club.

Still assembling my thoughts, but I will post about it (or add to existing posts) soon.

Read "The Cobra King of Kathmandu" by PB Kerr for a work evaluation on my day off today. It was a reasonable read - a little predicatable, but adventure and magic abound!

Started the Marian Keyes "Anybody Out There?" as well. Shouldn't take too long, amd then I can start on "Empress Orchid" to join the reading circle.

I have been sobbing and sobbing!

Not cried over any book this year any where near as much as I did over parts of "Anybody Out There?". How daft am I?! A reasonably easy and quick read, but with quite a raw subject matter. Very emotional!

It's the latest book in the Walsh Family series that Keyes has written - which includes Rachel's Holiday, Watermelon and Angels. A friend has said that it spoils some of the earlier ones, but not having read them didn't put me at a disadvantage with this. Recommend if you want a light read, but not if you are feeling low (unless you need an escuse to cry!).

Finished Tamar, that I thought I ought to read as it won the Carnegie, and then today I got an invite from his publishers to go to the launch of Peet's new book Penalty that will be published in October. That seemed so timely and very exciting!

Thoroughly enjoyed Tamar, but hasn't had quite the impact that I thought it might. Found the twist at the end was a little predicatable.

Not sure what to read next - I have 2 books to review for work, and 3 books that are due back at the library (yesterday!), but I picked up the new Meg Rosoff today, and I really want to read that too......

HELP!!!

I'm sure I will - I've never been to that sort of event before, I'm worrying about what I should wear already!

Chose one of the review books, and it was really easy to read so I've finished it. It was Tilly and the Badgers by Joan Lingard.

Going to read Just In Case by Meg Rosoff now.

We will be travelling lots over the bank holiday so not going to be online, but plenty of time for reading. Will fill you in next week!

Got through the Meg Rosoff - mostly in the car. My other half decided that he wanted to drive with the radio on (for the first time ever) though, so I couldn't concentrate quite as well as I usually can.

Then read Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber for work. It's a teen vampire novel, but more of a teen romance with an obsession with Vampires in it! It was ok, not really my cup of tea (or blood!), but nothing special. Annoyingly though, they printed the first chapter of it's sequel Kissing Coffins at the end - I hate it when they do that. even though it wasn't great I want to read on and find out what happend to the characters, particularly Raven the main character.

Now reading The Ecstacy Club by Douglas Rushkoff. It was recommended to someone on another forum by a random bloke in the library, so I thought that seemed as good a reason to read it as any! I borrowed it from the lib, and have now renewed it 5 times (the limit) so want to read it and return it. It's a bit strange, all about the rave culture in the 90's, something that I was never involved in and would never want to be involved in. Some of the characters are well drawn though, so I'm going to stick it out and see what happens.

Well, I managed to reach the end of The Ecstasy Club - very strange book with a very bizarre conspiracy theory theme. Odd, very odd!

For a bit of light-relief, but still a bit odd, I am reading the second book in Ian Sansom's Mobile Library series, Mr Dixon Disappears. So far I have had more laugh out loud moments that with the first one. Israel Armstrong (the Mobile Librarian) really seems to have developed in character since the first book.