Pemberley by Emma Tennant

Kate

pemberley.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Attempting a sequel to "Pride and Prejudice", this novel brings the original characters back to life. It is a story in which their pasts catch up with them, yielding dramatic results.

Pemberley is a sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The story is based at Darcy's Derbyshire mansion, where Elizabeth is now residing as his wife. Everything seems blissful - Darcy has been softened and loves doting on Elizabeth, but all is about to return to how things were before the wedding as it is Christmas, and everyone in the family are embarking on a trip to Pemberley. Elizabeth is very concerned: Jane is about to give birth, Wickham will be present, and what about her mother? Will she keep her cool? Will Darcy revert to his prideful, sullen self? Is Christmas going to be a disaster?

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was concerned that it would just be a copy of Pride and Prejudice, but it isn't. It holds it own, and although the characters are the same, as are the location, it is not the same as Pride and Prejudice.

I liked that Tennant was consistent with the characters - so Mr. Collins was as ridiculous as ever, and Mrs. Bennett as flamboyant as Austen wrote her. Tennant added new characters too, which I think helped her move away from Austen's work and helped her novel to develop on its own accord.

This is not a long book - it is under 200 pages. It was an easy and enjoyable read. I was drawn in and connected with the wonderful characters again. I was eager to find out what would happen in the end. The story was a fun read but I did think the ending was a bit rushed. However, I will be looking to read Tennant's new instalment: Pemberley Revisited.

If you like Pride and Prejudice I don't think you will be disappointed by this novel. Obviously not as good as the original it is a great follow up book.

8/10

I'm glad you enjoyed the book Kate, I wasn't able to when I read it. The thing that bothered me the most was that Lizzie seemed like a totally different person.

She was constantly misreading Darcy, and she was always getting very insecure about his love for her and then she started acting weird towards him, leaving him quite puzzled. It was like, don't you know him well enough by now not to doubt his feelings for you??