Chris d'Lacey

Michelle

We recently picked up The Fire Within for Beth, but before she had a chance to pick it up, I decided I wanted to try it. It's aimed at Beth's age, so I'm hoping she will enjoy it, but there was plenty in there to keep me hooked as well.

Part of the story, about rescuing a squirrel, is definitely aimed at children, and it's very innocent and charming. However, the pull of the book is with the clay dragons.. do they really come to life, and what's the story behind them? It was that which caught my 'inner child'! :motz:

I've now given the book back to Beth, and am reading the second in the series. There is a change of tone to this one, and I think it's 'growing up' a little. I've actually been in touch with Chris, who is just lovely, and he did say that they become more challenging and grittier.

He's now writing a series of books aimed at slightly younger children, all about the various dragons.. the covers look very sweet!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/chris-dlacey/gruffen.htm

Has anyone else read these, or any of his other books?

• 1 year later...

I have read all of the series including the latest Dark Fire and although I'm nearly eighteen I just love them! After reading the likes of Stephen King I love sitting down with Chris d'Lacey and having a good old laugh! I love David's character and the magical clay dragons I adore!

• 7 months later...