Can't put a bad book down?

jewell

Ok so i've had a look to see if this has been discussed before because i'm curious, if you find the book your reading just isn't your thing, or in fact you actually feel like you can't wait till it's over, do you still finish it?

I remember reading the last book that was part of a trilogy. That is the only time i have ever finished a book i hated, and i felt totally disappointed in. It was a real waste of my time and i hate to waste time, and i've noticed a few of you say you feel the same. There is so little time as it is to read the books we have waiting in our TBR pile, that i can not be bothered reading ones i dislike.

But once you have started it do you feel like you can't put it down? I'd be interested to know what keeps you motivated?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely give up on a book, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a book, so I'll read something else and go back to it later, if I'm half way through and not enjoying it, unless I really absolutely can't bear to go on then I usually just finish to see the ending.

I do occasionally give up on a book. This year, I've given up on two books. I usually try to read at least a third of the book, but I know the only reason I stop reading is if the book is boring me. When that happens, I put off reading it and when I do pick it up, I can only face a few pages before my mind is wandering and I start having to re-read pages or end up putting the book down. I used to kid myself that I could put the book down, try reading something else, then pick it up again at a later stage to finish it off, but this has never happened.

If I was really keen to read the book in the first place, I might try skim reading a bit, or skipping forward a few chapters to see if I think the story is going to pick up, but generally, if I've got to that stage, the book is a lost cause.

I have too many other books waiting to be read to spend too long dwelling on a book I'm not enjoying, and free time is too precious to waste on reading something I don't like.

I rarely give up on a book, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a book, so I'll read something else and go back to it later, if I'm half way through and not enjoying it, unless I really absolutely can't bear to go on then I usually just finish to see the ending.

I am Exactly the same. Sometimes I start a book and if by the first 60 pages i can't seem to get in the flow i will put it down and start again another time.

I think there has been one book where I have tried over and over and over again to get into it but I just couldn't. I was at least half way through it but the book was so bad it was more painful then pulling my wisdom teeth out.

I usually try and finish all books that I have started reading. When I was young I would give up really easily but I like to give them chances now. The last time I gave up on a book was around two months ago, but it doesn't bother me too much as it was only a library book so it isn't like I spent any money on it. I tried my best to read it but I only had two chapters left to read on the day it was due back and thought I really don't want to get the book out again as it really was bad ;)

I used to finish every book I read but having grown a little older I think life is too short. I read for enjoyment and I have alot of study to do - if a book isn't making me want to read it I will give up pretty promptly as I could just as easily be reading a boring textbook instead of a boring novel. I do find I re-read books quite alot though because I know it won't be a dud.

I usually try and finish all books that I have started reading. When I was young I would give up really easily but I like to give them chances now.

I'm the opposite; as a child I thought giving up on books was nothing short of sacrilegious and I took each story to its end, no matter how tedious or odious it was. Since then I've realised that with so many good books in the world waiting to be read, life is too short to be wasted on books one's not enjoying, so I have no qualms whatsoever in exercising my reader's right to abandon a book that's not doing its job (i.e. delighting/amusing/moving/ me, or making me think).

I used to finish every book I started reglardless of how much I was (or wasn't) enjoying it. Then I switched to the "if it doesn't grip me by page 100, it's out" philosophy. After a while, it got lowred to 50 pages, but nowadays if it's not grabbing me within a few chapters, I leave it. I don't have the time to spend on books I'm not enjoying any more - I have far better things to do!

I don't have the time to spend on books I'm not enjoying any more - I have far better things to do!

Agreed. If I had to finish every single book, no matter how much I disliked it, I would never get to read all the things I really want to. I simply don't have enough reading time as it is, to waste on books that aren't worth it.

I re read this post and realized everything is rambling, does not make sense, or is kinda off topic so only read the bold if you want an understandable answer.

People say you can't judge a book by its cover, but too bad I do. If the cover looks good I read the blurb and if the blurb is not interesting I don't read the book, but if the cover looks bad I don't read the blurb. It is kinda a bad habit but...;)

Oops I went off topic. Let me answer your question now.

Say I do start a non-interesting book. Would I put it down? Good question. I always don't buy my books [because 1) I am 14 and spend money on other things that I want 2) I own a library card and when am I going to use it if not know.] so I go to the library and since I cant drive yet I cannot keep asking my parents to take me. So if I have a bad book from the library I would continue reading it unless I had a better book to read. If it was not from the library then I would not have bought it because I only buy books if it they are good. Well I hope that answered your question.

Edited by tyvek999

It depends in what way it is bad. If it's shockingly badly written but still has a rompy sort of plot, like Angels and Demons, say, I'll read to the end because it's still effortless even if there's not much pleasure in it.

If, though, it's heavy and turgid and deep and serious and also bad, then I'm much more likely to not finish it.

That said, some of those bad heavy books you start reading, and think they'll improve, and then you're 150 pages in, and you think "I've sunk so much time and effort into this that, even though I'm not enjoying it, I'd better finish it".

Any good businessman will tell you that you should write off sunk costs. But, as with business, it's also hard to do that when reading.

I used to read every book to the end too, but this year I have not finished a couple of books that were bookrings on Bookcrossing and thought, why bother with them if not holding my interest and pass them on. I have too many books that I have bought on my shelf that I hope I enjoy and continue to finsih books to the end.

To me a book is like a vacation stopover. The worse it is, the sooner I want to leave and the faster, and less-attentively, I read it.

Case in point: I spend a certain, single, teeth-clenchingly unpleasant Sunday last year rushing through Langdonville, but happily dwelt for over a month and a half in Bloomtown.

Those of you that used to read all the books you had on your TBR list and have whittled down to just trying a few chapters, i wonder if it happened since joining book forums!

I have personally been avoiding putting up a TBR list on the forum, because if i'm not enjoying a book i stop reading it, so i didn't know how many books would end up just getting scrubbed back off the list in the end anyway! I used to find it agony when i was asked to read something in my own time (as a study, or a friend recommended and wanted my ideas.). So i'm afraid if i ever do do a bad review, it may be to a 'couple of pages' read book! :motz:

It all depends on how the book is "bad", if it grates on my nerves too much, I won't finish - probably. If I'm on the fence though, I'll usually finish in hopes that it'll somehow redeem itself by the end. And then there is the shelf above my computer that holds books I've temporarily put aside, bookmarks in place. I'll finish them when the mood moves me. :motz:

I have thrown a book down and away though if it has some sort of cruelty to children or animals in it. Some may consider that irrational, but that happens to be my stumbling block.

I have thrown a book down and away though if it has some sort of cruelty to children or animals in it. Some may consider that irrational, but that happens to be my stumbling block.

I don't think that's irrational; it's a stumbling block for me, too, especially in audiobooks. In a print copy I'd probably just skip it, unless it's a recurring thing, but that's hard to do in an audiobook.

Anyway, to stay on topic: I'm pretty ruthless about giving up books if I'm not enjoying them. I don't get enough time to read as it is, and the time I do get is far to precious to waste on a bad book. Having said that, I'm currently about one third through The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb and, uh. It drags. Beautifully written, but it drags. I"m in two minds whether I want to continue with it, so I guess I'm not as ruthless about giving up books as I though I was! :motz:

I have absolutely no qualms about dropping a book if it doesn't suck me in pretty quickly. I've already given up on 4 books so far since the start of this year, and only 1 of those have I kept around to re-try later, since I think the timing was just bad for that particular book.

If I try to keep reading a book that I'm really uninterested in, I'll be distracted all the time, and it will take me weeks and weeks to finish a book. If I just leave it, I can read 4 books in the same amount of time it would take me to finish that 1 story.

I've given up on more books than I had first realised. Those unfinished reads were from years ago though. In recent years, I have finished every book I had begun reading or rereading.

Some books were difficult to finish reading though, not always because of the writing style, but because of the topic.