Recession Hits Authors

Borders needs to keep going though.. :D

I have just heard that there has been a management buy out headed by Chief Exec Philip Downer - I don't think they are out of the woods yet though, as they are still

Edited by Talisman

I thought there had already been some advertising in books. I'm sure I read an article a few years ago where an author's main character drove (for example) a Ford Fiesta, and the book had been sponsored by Ford?

I thought there had already been some advertising in books. I'm sure I read an article a few years ago where an author's main character drove (for example) a Ford Fiesta, and the book had been sponsored by Ford?

It guess it depends on the genre and the subject matter - I am not sure what sort of advertising my own book might attract - the mind boggles !

I would love to write a book, but I think being an author is a really hard job. I would like to have my career, then when life settles down and there is time I would like to write. . .BUT knowing me I will probably put it off like I do everything else :lol:

Only if you tell yourself that Adam. I put it off for years as well, but once I started to write found I couldn't stop. If you really want to do it, then you will find the time.

the death of the advance is something that hit the music business a few years back. it looks as if books will continue to follow the music model (think of the current 1st gen ebook readers as the bookish equivalent of an ipod) so next up will be an explosion in illegal swapping/sharing of books, accompanied by some kind of 'myspace for words' where amateurs can self-publish for attention rather than money.

the handful of top-tier artists will shrink (and make bigger sums of money than ever before for themselves and their publishers. Oh, hi JK!), while the number of amateur/semi-professionals producing great stuff while making no money will increase.

For consumers, it's tremendously exciting (who doesn't have an mp3 player nowadays???). For mid-level professionals, time to think about revenue. As recorded music crashed, the industry propped itself up with merchandising and live events - perhaps publishing will do something similar.

Sounds very doom and gloom but for those ready to avoid Big Music's mistakes and embrace the new media, there are exciting opportunities, i think.

Personally, i think micro-payments and mobile phones will combine to create new text formats. Howsabout a 10p/chapter neverending text novel that's updated daily? Would you pay

Personally, i think micro-payments and mobile phones will combine to create new text formats. Howsabout a 10p/chapter neverending text novel that's updated daily?

Dear heaven, no. I hope things never come to that...

why not? weren't some of dickens novels first published as serials? what's the difference?

The difference is that a mobile phone "book", will never be a real book to me. Furthermore, I don't think one can compare Dickens to what will inevitably end up as being nothing more than a fad - if it does happen. I don't think anything good can come from something like that.

Only if you tell yourself that Adam. I put it off for years as well, but once I started to write found I couldn't stop. If you really want to do it, then you will find the time.

That is good advice. I think my heart right now is trying to accomplish my goal of becoming an RCMP officer, but if I can accomplish that then I would love to write.