Recession Hits Authors

When I followed a creative writing course some years ago, they said that every writer needs another job alongside writing, because even if you are published and your books sell reasonably well, it's still not enough to make a living out of it. In Holland anyway.

It said sometimes it's different in other countries where certain writers can live off of their books only, but not in Holland, perhaps only one or two writers can do that.

They will have to get a day and night time job and write in the hols! lol Although i imagine a lot do that as well.

I certainly do - I have a permanent job in a nursing home which I do in the evenings and at weekends, and work on a casual basis doing exam invigilating and market research.

It takes authors up to five years to research a book and the breakdown of the advance is not adding up. I would love to hear from an author his or her thoughts

Something like 10 percent of authors in the UK (according to the Society of Authors which remember represent the top authors anyway) earn more than 5K from their writing. Last year I earned

Edited by Talisman

I will never get that money back, but for me it was a labour of love.

That's the thing, you have to put your heart into things like this. It's usually the things that are really worth putting yourself into that recieve little reward (on a material level that is) from this world. This of course would mean that the added pressure we all feel more and more (materially again!) stops us from becoming and producing so much more.

I remember watching something, can't remember what it was completely about, but it said we don't have the quiet, suitable circumstances anymore to produce what we used to. It said, think about Issac Newton. Where was he when he came up with another scientific fact, etc? In a garden sitting under a apple tree in a calm atmosphere. It is a fact that people are just to busy now to stop and think!

Personally I blame the housing market and its ridiculous prices, which have gone up way out of proportion to peoples earnings. That's the main reason why people have to work so hard though, to keep a roof over their head and afford to carry on paying the mortgage/rent. We are lucky in that respect in that we don't have a mortgage - even so, it is still a struggle. My partner has a small pension that covers the basics, and his own business, but he earns very little from this, while I earn a lot less than I would like. The most important thig is that I enjoy what I do and feel that is useful and worthwhile, which is more than be said for my previous job - flogging a load of overpriced rubbish to people with who were trying to keep up with the Joneses.

It seems to me though that the most worthwhile jobs are the ones which are the least paid - nurses and teachers (plus nursing home housekeepers!) earn very little considering what they do, while footballers and pop stars earn a fortune. I know which one I think contributes most to society, but it is all topsy turvy.

Does the 2nd hand book sales in charity shops, Bookcrossing and swap meets affect authors fees?

Personally I never buy books new. I just cannot justify the price so borrow from the Library and buy from charity shops, I guess I am not a struggling authors best customer.

I guess there are no fees made by charity book shops for authors.

My local charity shop only makes 12p from a second hand book and often have to turn them away. Even car boot sellers dont like selling books anymore as people just wont pay 50p for them.

Does the 2nd hand book sales in charity shops, Bookcrossing and swap meets affect authors fees?

Personally I never buy books new. I just cannot justify the price so borrow from the Library and buy from charity shops, I guess I am not a struggling authors best customer.

I guess there are no fees made by charity book shops for authors.

My local charity shop only makes 12p from a second hand book and often have to turn them away. Even car boot sellers dont like selling books anymore as people just wont pay 50p for them.

Of course it affects our earnings - as it means we don't get any! If you can't afford books (and I do understand that, as half the time I can't either) most authors would rather you borrowed them from the library (which I am pleased to see you do), as at least then we are paid - even if it is only 5pence a time. We also get paid of course when the library orders the book - plus it supports the library. If you love literature then support authors so that they can afford to (and have the time) to continue writing, and remember that books may seem expensive, but in fact, they have never been cheaper. For the first time last year more books were sold at discount than at full price.

Will try and find out more about that. I heard today that Borders (who have been in deep financial trouble for a while now) are closing five more stores - including their flagship in Oxford Street. At this rate I will be surprised if they are still around by Christmas - in the UK at least.

No - the author only gets paid when the library initially buys the book and in the Uk we get 5 pence each time our book(s) are borrowed - assuming that is the libary authority in question is part of the random sample used each year by Public Lending Rights. I would still rather poeple borrow my books in this way though than swap and lend !

The trouble with libraries is that they rarely stock contemporary novels and if they do there is such a long waiting list. Many books say they must not be lent or re sold without the authors permission. I wonder of this is ever Policed? The average charity shop (big cities) has c1000 books on their shelves It seems so unfair that writers dont get "repeat fees"

The trouble with libraries is that they rarely stock contemporary novels and if they do there is such a long waiting list. Many books say they must not be lent or re sold without the authors permission. I wonder of this is ever Policed? The average charity shop (big cities) has c1000 books on their shelves It seems so unfair that writers dont get "repeat fees"

Agree totally with the repeat fees thing, but not sure how it would work. There is only one author I know of who has at the front of her books that they cannot be lent or re-sold without permission - you have to apply for a license. It is news to me then that this is becoming common place - I certainly haven't noticed it in any books in my collection.

As for libraries - I know what you mean about them not stocking comtemporary novels. If there is anything you want that they don't have then they can order it for you though. I don't know about other areas, but whenever I have asked my library to order something for me they have been able to and usually quite quickly.

Will try and find out more about that. I heard today that Borders (who have been in deep financial trouble for a while now) are closing five more stores - including their flagship in Oxford Street. At this rate I will be surprised if they are still around by Christmas - in the UK at least.

Oh, I read about the Swindon one closing on the BBC website but I didn't realise there were others. That's such a shame. :D

There is a large Borders in Clifton, Bristol. I was going to take my Mum next week as she's never been to a Borders before, but the Banksy exhibition is just down the road ad apparently the parking is horrendous as a result, so we've postponed it until September.

I hope this store is not affected - and that Borders manage to keep going.

Why do footballers get paid so much for kicking a bag of wind around for 90 minutes, But authors get paid a pittance for giving us many hours reading. Something is very wrong. Football is over rated. I would get much more enjoyment from a book.