First Night by Tom Weston

night.jpg

Synopsis from back cover:

Alexandra O’Rourke, aged 16, is not a happy camper. It’s New Year’s Eve. She should be partying in San Diego with her friends, but instead she is stuck in Boston, with just her younger sister, Jackie, for company. As if that wasn’t bad enough, she is being haunted by Sarah, the ghost of a seventeenth century Puritan. Oh, and there is the small matter of the charge of witchcraft to be sorted out. Armed only with big shiny buttons and a helping of Boston Cream Pie, the sisters set out to restore the Natural Order. Can Alex solve the mystery of the Devil’s Book? Can Jackie help Sarah beat the sorcery rap? And can they do it before the fireworks display at midnight?

‘First Night’ is a highly original, quirky arrangement of humor, intelligence, research and a dash of courtroom drama. What first drew my attention to this novel was the level of history it appeared to draw upon, classing it in my mind as Historical Fiction for young adults. Indeed, it doesn’t disappoint. The author’s passion for history and love of the city are quite clear in the depth of research applied. Each chapter begins with a photo of an actual building, monument etc. in Boston, and a historical quote, which are often related to the central focus of that chapter. This supernatural story is firmly rooted in facts, and offers an abudance of information about Puritan life, customs and witch trials. This adds a level of realism and appeal which struck a chord with the adult in me, while my inner child was entertained by the witty, quick fire exchanges which highlight an action packed adventure of mystery and suspence.

First Night reads like a Young Adult novel – which is precisely what it is; it’s a fast paced, easy read which never gets overly involved. Well defined (but slightly underdeveloped) characters and a short although deep plot never quite allow you to forget that it is, in essence, aimed at a younger audience. Despite this, I found myself slightly disappointed that it is a Young Adult novel, as the standard of writing and concepts it explores surpass any typical Young Adult novel I’ve read. The language is precise, at times sarcastic, and above all highly intelligent. With regard to concepts, this novel doesn’t treat it’s audience as something to be merely entertained, but also as something to be educated, and provoked to deliberation about various ideas in the process.

The story starts out light-hearted and humorous, but gradually, layer by layer, it escalates into the realms of moral contemplation, as the mystery surrounding Sarah Pemberton’s trial becomes unraveled and exposed. It contains philosophical and sociological infusions contrasting two time periods, which are seperated by 300 years worth of change in culture and perception. Perhaps the only downside is how rushed the ending is. It isn’t by any means forced, in fact it’s a superb ending, but it struggles to express itself within the page limit. By the end, I almost wished it had been a 500 page adult novel with more detail. All the same, if more authors wrote like this for teenagers, they’d be a lucky bunch. Overall, this is a carefully crafted gem for knowledge-seekers. Impossible to put down, I’d recommend this to anybody, teen or adult alike, who wants a bit of light-hearted, but intellectual substance in their reading.

Rating: 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Tom Weston here. I just wanted to add a quick 'thank you' to Roxi for posting her review of First Night. Obviously, I wanted the book to be liked, but I don't think that I was quite prepared for the positive responses that I've been getting. It is most humbling.

If anyone here has a question for me, I'd be happy to respond.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Roxi,

The next book, the Elf of Luxembourg, is coming along nicely - just a few plot points to resolve and then some heavy duty editing.

My editor, Carmel, lives in Ireland. I hope, like her, you didn't find the American spelling and grammar too off-putting?

We already have book 3 in the Pipe-line. It will be called Feathers and it will also be set in Ireland. It will still be summer, and so, obviously, raining most of the time.

Regards,

Tom

Yes, I was quite intriuged when I read in the note you sent with my book about the third novel's Irish setting - THAT will make for some very interesting reading! Can I ask, will you be drawing on Celtic mythology or fairytales at all for it, or what are you thinking about doing?

As for American spelling and grammar - I read so many American novels ANYWAY that it didn't bother me in the slightest - especially as, like I said in my review, First Night was extremely articulate/intelligently written. :lol:

I've started reading First Night (I'm reading another book too, so I'm to-ing and fro-ing between them) and although I'm only a couple of chapters in, I'm enjoying it so far - especially the historical setting of the very start if the novel - I could really picture it all happening. Looking forward ot seeing how it develops. :lol:

Hi Kell,

Hope you continue to enjoy it. My mother says that Chapter 3 is the pivotal one - by then, hopefully, you're hooked.

I see from your blog that you're also a movie fan. Arsenic and Old Lace is listed in Jackie's top 10.

Regards,

Tom.

I'm almost half way through and am enjoying the book. :D It's obvious you really love Boston, Tom, as some of it reads almost like a love letter to the city, exploring both the modern city and some of its rich history...

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really like to read this book but it seems to be a bit tricky to get hold of - most online stores have a 2-3 week delivery estimate for it, and the area library website doesn't have it listed either. I might have to try to get one of my local bookshops to order it for me.

Hi Claire,

Why there should be such a delay in shipping from retail stores in the UK, I cannot say, because the UK distributors for First Night are based in Milton Keynes. Amazon.co.uk is currently quoting 1 – 3 weeks.

For those near Blackwells or Newsstand Books in London, the book is also available in paperback from the new Espresso Book Machine (EBM).

We are about to expand sales from our own web site to include direct shipping from the UK, but that is not up and running just yet. And the good news for me is that Barnes and Noble will be stocking First Night in their regional stores in the USA, but alas not in the UK as of yet.

So, in the meantime, Claire, if you drop me a line, we’ll see what we can do to expedite you a copy.

Regards,

Tom