Longest book title?

Pablo

'The horrific sufferings of Hercules Barefoot, his wonderful love and his terrible hatred' is a real mouthful of a title, especially considering it adorns a book that can be read in a day or two.

It's also a title that's been bandied around this forum for some time now, initially by BookJumper, but more recently by myself, so I felt obliged to offer my opinion of it since I've just finished reading it.

So, to all those considering buying it/reading it, what can be said?

Well, it's not perfect, as Guilia also atests, but then neither is this review. What it does have in its favour is an easy style of writing, some interesting anectdotes and a very likeable main character.

It's downside is, for me, the occasional slowing of pace, especially in the last section, and also the somewhat patronising (for want of a better word) message of love it repeatedly delivers throughout.

Other than this though, I'm pleased to say that it's a very enjoyable read.

I just don't envy anyone asking for it in a bookstore. Probably better to order it online like I did.:blush:

How about,

The Anatomy of Melancholy, What It Is With All the Kinds, Causes, Symptomes, Prognostickes, and Several Cures of It, in Three Maine Partitions with their Several Sections, Members, and Subsections Philosophically, Historically, Opened and Cut up

By Robert Burton, published 1621. ;)

I found the longest book title in the world - it's actually so long that the posts here won't accept it (I think!), so here's the link to it HERE.

It's an impressive 3,999 characters (with spaces) or 670 words.

Another quite long one that I love is Gary Leon Hill for his impressively titled The People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It.

Edited by Kell

I'm a little confused by this thread. The first post actually seems to be a review, but the title and the remaining posts suggest that it's about finding the longest book title.

Perhaps Pablo could clear this up for me? ;)

It is really a quick recommendation of '...Hercules Barefoot...' but then, I knew someone like Ben wouldn't be able to resist showing off with a, considerably, longer book title.:D

And, since no one has responded to the actual book in question, why don't we just go with the titles instead?

Ta for the link Kell. :lol:

THe book you mentioned in the first post is one I've thought about quite recently, actually. I don't know an awful lot about it, but I've been hearing the title a lot lately, it seems, and it's starting to intrigue me, so it may well be one I get hold of at some point in the future...

• 2 weeks later...

How Hedley Hopkins Did a Dare, robbed a grave, made a new friend who might not have really been there at all, and while he was at it committed a terrible sin which everyone was doing even though he didn't know it by Paul Jennings. I haven't read it myself, though.