Low fat ideas to help reduce cholesterol.

Inver

:help:Any websites/recipes etc advice all appreciated.

Since my Chol count has been found to be a bit high I need all the help in trying to reduce it.

:D

Hey Inver!

I've just joined Weightwatchers and I'm finding the points diet quite easy to follow. I'm allowed 20 points per day and I've lost 5 and a half pounds in the past 2 weeks just by making small changes. My main weaknesses are desserts. Things I've been eating:

Strawberries are really really good as you can have quite a few of them for very few points. You get around 10 for half a point so I've been adding them to weetabix, yoghurt, etc.

Weightwatchers Fromage Frais is really thick and fruity (and only

Inver, my mum has been following a low cholesterol diet for the past couple of years. She has reduced greatly her intake of dairy products and meat, and eats plenty of fish, chicken, fruits, veg and pulses.

Also be careful how to cook the food - forget frying, for example. Fish is great drizzled in a bit of olive oil, garlic and olives and capers, and with a splash of wine and lemon juice, sealed in foil, and popped into the oven for 15 minutes.

Edited by Maureen

Inver, my mum has been following a low cholesterol diet for the past couple of years. She has reduced greatly her intake of dairy products and meat, and eats plenty of fish, chicken, fruits, veg and pulses.

I was going to say that. :D Eat low dairy, especially cheese and eggs, and cut down on red meat. Oily fish is good. Good luck Inver. :D

Thanks everyone. I have checked out the Flora site and added to faves for info.

The thing is we never have fried anything usually apart from the occasional breaded fish (fresh from fishman) but quite often bake it in th oven and I use Olivio oil if I do. We maybe only have mince/beef once a week and we eat a lot of chicken, quite often casseroled. I do buy reduced fat spread/butter, semi-skimmed milk, eat rice and loads of pasta. Admittedly we have the processed food during the week.

Guess cutting out the dairy fats would be the biggest thing for me and my beloved chocolate:blush:, biccies etc.

I wish I knew why it was so high!

Janet ~ the Benecol site is very user friendly and heaps of info...thanks.

Edited by Inver

Carr's Sauce Flour is great for (strangely enough) sauces. You just add milk - no need to use any fats. I also use strong / mature cheeses so that I use less and I'll add parmesan or mustard for extra oomph.

Where possible I cook up the mince on it's own and drain the fat off - for some reason the fat content can really vary and I have frequently discovered more fat coming out of lean mince then the el cheapo stuff! :D

Edited by Chrissy
Far too long winded - I was so borrrring! : (

Substitute beef mince with turkey mince (far lower in fat) or soya mince and cook with a beef stock cube (such as Oxo or Bovril). If you don't think you could give up the taste of beef mince entirely, mix it half and half with either turkey or soya mince. :D

I have just tried the frozen banana snack thing. I remembered about it yesterday and put a banana in a resealable freezer bag and tried a bit this morning. It was so yummy. It tastes like banana ice cream but without the fat bits you know are in ice cream. Can you overdose on it...lol.:D

I have just tried the frozen banana snack thing. I remembered about it yesterday and put a banana in a resealable freezer bag and tried a bit this morning. It was so yummy. It tastes like banana ice cream but without the fat bits you know are in ice cream. Can you overdose on it...lol.:D

Isn't it great? So yummy. :D

It's so nice isn't it!! I think it was Frankie who gave me the tip :)

It's a Frankie fat-busting tip! :)